Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 56 Chevy 210 Hardtop Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smoothy, Aug 4, 2015.

1. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how mine was....and the last pic is now...a tree had fallen on the roof and it was rotted out everywhere...

2. Tell us about the car car in your avatar.

timmy2times and loudbang like this.
  3. 41 coupe

41 coupe
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from bristol pa

What you have done with that car is truly amazing,It makes me want to keep my 55 that is in the classified section now.

II FUNNY likes this.
  4. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

If you are asking me...its just a cool pic I found.[​IMG]

enloe likes this.
  5. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

The car was sitting at a junkyard, and I figured a 150 two door sedan should be saved. It was also built at the Janesville Wi GM plant, and I had worked as summer help there just out of high school along with a bunch of relatives including my Dad. The plant is closed now.

6. Smoothy

Smoothy

Well I'll take your guys advice on the steel fenders and hood. I can't really afford to choke out the dough right now anyways. But the guy with the straight axle got ahold of me this morning and we talked, I'm trading him a set of stock 882 heads that I'm going to do a valve job and surface if needed. Seems like too good of a deal to pass up to me. Screenshot_2016-05-05-10-33-01.png

7. sorry i meant that for the OP

8. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Photoshop version of his car I believe...

9. Smoothy

Smoothy

Yes, Funny is right. It's just a photoshop of my car that Moose came up with over on the photoshop thread. IMG_20151109_100940.jpg

Butch M, mad mikey, brut4s and 3 others like this.
  10. Smoothy

Smoothy

This is the one that I came up with. Just throwing a few ideas around IMG_20150811_001137.jpg

mad mikey, brut4s and powrshftr like this.
  11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I personally like the brown version better, but with the 210 trim on. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang and gotta56forme like this.
  12. Another vote for the 210 trim. Without the trim, people will think it just a detrimmed Belair. I have a 210 HT and it's a conversation starter. One know-it-all at a car show even told me off in front of his buddies that I had concocted/faked my '56 210 HT cuz Chevy never made tri-five 210 HT's... sheeeeeesh. A knowledgeable tri-five guy will know some of the subtle differences a 210 HT has vs a Belair HT - it's all not side trim.

13. Smoothy

Smoothy

The car will 100% definitely wear the side trim with whatever paint scheme it ends up with. But I have to ask, what are the other difference besides the trim?

14. On a 210 HT, it has a narrow stainless piece that is between the door and glass (on the outside), as opposed to the wide piece of stainless garnish/trim that sits outside the window atop the Belair door. Same is true of the area just behind the door to the c-pillar. Because of this difference, the stainless underneath the wing-window, atop the door is different on a 210 vs a Belair, and the same is true of the leading edge of the C-pillar stainless where it meets the top of the quarter panel. On the 210 the trailing edge of that wing window piece and the leading edge of the c-pillar piece are finished to not expect a wide piece of stainless on top of the door. On a Belair, those two pieces are made to tie into the wide stainless garnish atop the door & leading part of the quarter panel. Also, (if I remember correctly - door vs qtr panel) if you remove that wide trim at the top of leading edge of the quarter panel on a Belair, you will find a stamped depression in the metal to accept a fastener for the wide trim. Because a 210 HT doesn't have that wide garnish/trim at the top of the quarter, it doesn't have the stamped depression in the quarter panel sheetmetal.

So another way of saying it is... if you bolt a belair door on your 210, besides the side stainless being different, the way the stainless garnish is at the top of the door (on the outside) is different also.

One other difference is inside the car... On a '56 Belair the C-pillar stainless is made to continue on to the decorative stainless piece that is above the side windows. On a 210 HT interior... there is no decorative stainless above the side windows, so the C-pillar stainless inside the car is made in such a way to not need to continue to onto that upper side stainless.

Hope that all made sense. Maybe I can find photos sometime of what I'm describing...

Gotta56forme/Scott

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  15. Here is a photo of a Belair HT in the area I'm describing. Notice the wide stainless at that the top of the door and leading edge of the quarter panel back to the c-pillar base. Also notice how it ties into the base of the wing window stainless and the base of the c-pillar stainless. That wide trim is not on a 210 HT door & qtr panel.

[​IMG]

Last comment: so be careful with that 210 specific stainless garnish as it's harder to find than the Belair garnish. If you do have to find some...I don't remember if both the Pontiac models 860 & 870 HT's for '55-'57 have the same garnish treatment as a 210 HT, but the '55-'57 Starchiefs are like the Belairs.

Edit: I've tried finding a suitable photo to show the narrow/thin stainless strip on a 210 HT door, but have had no luck. Because the few photos I found are focused on other items, the detail/resolution is so poor that the narrow strip visually blends into the chrome side window frame, sort of camoflauging it.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    Smoothy and loudbang like this.
  16. Smoothy

Smoothy

Well now I am on the search for some small block fenderwell headers, the only people I see that make them are Doug's and Hooker, both for about $500, which is a little out of my price range at the moment. I see the big block sets going for about $200 all over the internet, which is confusing to me. Anyways, I'd really like a set of stahl's or hooker adjustable fenderwell headers like my dad has got on his 57 but I think they're harder to come by. Anyone know of any laying around somewhere?

Also, I'm not running any inner fenders either, so do I have to have 55-57 specific fenderwell headers?

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  17. Smoothy

Smoothy

20160513_193141.jpg 20160513_193159.jpg

Actually got some work done this weekend, in an attempt to make the meltdowns in about 9 weeks.

Test fit some 9x30x15 slicks to see if I would clear the wheel arches, and it looks all good there. Let's me know I can run the 5.57 gears and hit 120 at 7500.

I also went through the front end, greasing everything and replacing some brake hoses. I also found out that along the way someone has changed the hubs from the stock ball bearing type to the tapered roller bearings like in a 60 chevy. I believe it's bearing part number lm11949.

Butch M, Torkwrench, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  18. Lookin good!:D

loudbang and Smoothy like this.
  19. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

My dad has a 406 SBC with fender well headers. He is putting a big block in it and looking for big block headers

20. Smoothy

Smoothy

If he's looking to sell the sbc ones at all let me know, and BBC fenderwell headers seem quite easier to come by on the web.

21. artificer64

artificer64
    from maine

22. artificer64

artificer64
    from maine

23. artificer64

artificer64
    from maine

This is mine. Although it's obviously not a 56. I've been having a great time with it. It is now painted white.
    My bbc headers are from speedway and they fit just right. I went 7.08 at 98.9 miles per hr. last year
    I'm hoping to best that this year. You can see my ball joint spacers. 56 is my favorite year.

Smoothy likes this.
  24. artificer64

artificer64
    from maine

P083015_1634.jpg

Butch M, kidcampbell71 and Smoothy like this.
  25. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

26. Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  27. Smoothy

Smoothy

I think this truly might be the most exciting thing that's happened since the car has been in my possession. That is 100% my car. You can still see where my front splash pan has blue paint. That's my exact fender flares, my exact interior, the steering wheel that came in the car is the same, still has the same slots on it, no mirrors or antenna. This is it, and man I can't thank you enough. Now I have to try and find some more out about it!

Baumi, 55belairx2, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  28. Happy to help... if it was in a magazine, maybe someone else can suggest how to track down which one.

Smoothy likes this.
  29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Incredibly cool! That'll provide a little incentive for Smoothy. Hopefully, he'll forget about the straight/I-beam axle idea after seeing how the car once was. I wonder what the exact year that photo was taken?
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

loudbang, biscaynes and Smoothy like this.
  30. Smoothy

Smoothy

I've pretty much decided to go against doing the axle on this car, just hoping right now I'll be able to find more pictures of this thing. I'm also curious as to when they were taken

biscaynes likes this.