Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical MIG welder for amateur - flux core OK?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Downs, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I pulled the interior out of my '49 Chevy last year, found some floorboard rot I wasn't aware of. Thought i'd self-teach myself Oxy/Acet welding to point where I felt confident enough to replace the floors - didn't happen, I don't have the confidence to tackle material that thin; I'm barely capable of welding exhaust pipes.

It seems like MIG is easiest way to go but the option of gas shield or flux core has me concerned. From what I've read flux core is cheaper but some of the concerns seem to be that it is smokey and generates slag.

Opinions?

2. I have both. I hate, HAte, HATE using flux core. Only reason I even keep it around is if I need to take the machine to the job vs the job to the machine. It's a lot easier to not have to move bottles to a friend's fence for repairs.

I suppose if you are ONLY buying for this one job, the price difference is worth only buying the flux machine, but even if you just randomly use it, I would bite the bullet and step up.

cosmo, sunbeam and shawnsauto1 like this.
  3. Get a used MIG, scour CL for a couple weeks and a one will come up. You should be able to find a nice old Solar or small Lincoln for a few hundred. Just have the seller test it in front of you. Wire fed is good for working outside where the wind would blow the shielding gas away, but for what you are looking to do MIG is the way to go, especially when you are just learning. Make sure you get a 220 volt. The Harbor Freight 110 volt wire fed for $90 is just fine and I have one of those to work outside, or remotely.

need louvers ? likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

gas. It's a gas...use it, love it

BradinNC and Dino64 like this.

5. drifters cc

drifters cc

If you have access to a flux core then try it. It will do fine, but flux core welders are obnoxious in a home garage environment. They do make smoke and slag, but most of all they make splatter witch unless you have a large, clear non-flammable shop or area poses real dangers in a home garage. They are a bit "crude" but work well on crude areas like floorboards and farm equipment.

tubman likes this.
  6. aaggie

aaggie

This subject comes up often and the answer is always the same. Flux core will leave you wanting more. If you shop around you can find deals on used 220 machines. 110 machines will get by on sheet metal but you need the higher current settings for 10 guage sheet or thicker. You can use flux core wire on a gas machine if you need to save up a little longer to buy the bottle and flow regulator, at least you will get started. Don't forget to change the polarity when you switch from flux to gas.

7. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

If you try both, you will buy a gas unit

shawnsauto1 and Hnstray like this.
  8. My little Lincoln does both. I've been using it with flux core lately as it is a little hotter for structural welds. It almost has a stick weld appearance which is what I'm after on my current (no pun intended!) project.

For sheetmetal work however, MIG (gas) is the ticket!

Tman and squirrel like this.
  9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This has been my experience as well. I use my gas almost all of the time, but I keep some flux core around, as it comes in real handy sometimes.

10. If you're welding sheetmetal, you want gas... period.

49ratfink likes this.
  11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The gasless flux cored Mig welders are bought all the time by people who haven't got a clue on welding of any kind.
    They think oh look a cheap Mig welder. In a lot of cases they don't even know that the gas shielded machines are an option, or that some of the machines are gas/no gas.

They often buy a machine and then try it gasless and get frustrated when they can't weld like a pro. :)
    The machine sits in the garage and then gets sold in a garage sale or craigslist etc.

Keep your eyes open there are good deals to be had this way.

The best way to go is a name brand machine running a 75% Argon and 25% CO2 shielding gas mixture and .023 ER 70 S6 solid wire.
    The flux cored wire will not produce nice welds and is difficult to use for an experienced welder never mind a beginner.

A gasless flux cored welder can be handy when trying to weld something like a steel fence outside in the breeze where a gas shielded machine loses it's gas shielding.

cosmo, cretin, trollst and 2 others like this.
  12. A Rodder

A Rodder

All has already been said.
    Buy a traditional gas mig welder if you can swing it.

I've been using Millermatic 180 for 5 years with great success at my shop. I chopped the cage on my sxs at home and brought the welder home to weld the cage.

Needless to say it didn't make it back to work. I bought a new 211 0r 220, can't remember Miller inverter based Mig for work.

I've chopped 3 Model A's with that 180.
    .023 wire should work real well for that sheetmetal.

Look at a good name brand unit, even if used. You'll be much happier in the end.

13. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I bought a Miller 130 for $300 at an auction. I took it to my local Miller dealer and they volunteered to check it out , They put a new liner and drive wheel ,no charge. I was so happy I bought a new bottle from them. I have used flux core ,out in the field ,in a bind ,but I always have to redo it later. Look around a lot of used ones with the bottle and all. At one time we used C02 and got the gas from the pop salesman, don't know if thats an option for you or not. best of luck.

14. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Thanks for all the replies - gas is the way I'll go

BradinNC, clunker and Just Gary like this.
  15. gibraltar72

gibraltar72
    from Osseo Mi.

Welders have become quite cheap. Eastwood has very adequate ones. They do the job, and carry a three year warranty. I'm very happy with mine. you'll be surprised. In a perfect world we'd all have Lincolns or Millers Mine ain't that perfect.

clunker likes this.
  16. You will want a gas setup at some point, BUT you will be a better weldor if you spend some time learning with flux core. Plus, there will be a day you A: run out of gas on Saterday night or B: Have a job like Cactus said with something structural. Just remember to switch polarity to match the type of wire you are using ;)

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  17. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I bought a Lincoln that could be used either way after my EBay China special got stolen. I have yet to use it with gas, been happy with the flux core, but I work in a carport open on 2 1/2 sides. It came with a regulator but no gauge, so I bought a gauge to use gas. Was going to get a bottle from the local Tractor Supply, but they quit carrying gasses. Hard for me to get to a welding supply the way I work, and they are all closed on Saturdays around here. One of these days I'll get a bottle and try it, but for now, I do pretty good with the flux. Just takes more grinding. Don't think I'd want to use it on a body, but stuff like floor pans that will be covered anyway it works fine.

18. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

To start with, You should have been able to weld the floor board up with the oxy-acet setup. Using the correct tip and properly preparing the metal would make for an easy repair. The problem with this type of welding is that it places a lot of heat to the area and has more shrinkage. There are numerous articles about using oxy-acet to chop and channel complete cars and is preferred by some old timers. Just switching to another process that you know very little about will not solve all your problems. Using mig presents a lot of possible hurdles in that you have to have the proper amp/volt setting, proper wire speed, proper gas flow, proper ground, proper metal prep and be able to trouble shoot the problem when it's not welding properly. If you have the time, I would try to take a mig welding class at the local community college or find someone to help your learn before buying a mig welder.

19. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Blue one is giving you the right advice. Been using that exact setup for over 35 years, daily in a body shop. Just keep some extra tips and nozzles and anti spatter (nozzle jell) around. I used bout 110 & 220 machines. The biggest problem using 110 welder so is getting enough amperage to the machine, too small of a gauge extension cord will hurt the performance of the machine. But I really like my 110 for doing sheet metal remember the ground is 50% of the weld , a clean ground is necessary, some of the cheaper ground clamps don't work well. I always grind a clean spot and attach my clamp there, the contact side with the ground cable go to the clean metal or your ground has to work thru your clamp making more resistance to the weld. Watch Jody on Welding Tips and Tricks and you can get some good pointers from him. Good Luck Frank

cretin and Flathead Dave like this.
  20. Bugguts

Bugguts

Gas! Don't waste your time or patience.
    My 2 friends that bought flux welders couldn't believe how awesome my miller MIG welder worked after trying to use their. Flux welders.
    No comparison. Buy the gas and you'll find all sorts of other things to weld when your done with the floor.

21. Flux core gets a bad rap from a lot of people. It's seen, by the uneducated as a cheap, Mickey Mouse, alternative to the far superior (according to them) MIG or GMAW process. To begin with, they are not the same. Yes, both use a wire feeder. Flux core is closer to stick welding in use. The only difference is, flux core doesn't require changing the electrode every 30 seconds, or so, and the flux is on the inside. There are 3 processes that are pre approved for structural iron work, Stick, sub arc and flux core. It is not a Mickey Mouse process developed by Home Depot or Harbor Freight. It has been around for years. I ran miles of it, mostly NR-211, on high rise towers, the L.A. Metro system and other projects here in SoCal. You can get as pretty a bead as you can get with stick so, yes, spatter is a problem. If you're any good at all, the spatter will be minimal and a few licks with a grinder and a flap wheel will knock off 90% of it. It is not the best for most of what we do in our garages. MIG will produce much nicer looking welds. They won't be better welds, just prettier. If you have a 175 amp 220 volt machine, don't discount flux core. It runs much hotter than MIG and allows some pretty heavy fabrication to be done at home, like trailer hitches, etc.

mad mikey and scrap metal 48 like this.
  22. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I bought and use the Harbor Freight Mig 170 flux/gas 220v. I got it as a new open box parking lot sale item and it was complete. Made an offer and only paid $100 for it. I don't use gas because I don't want to pay for it. BUUUTTTT....I do some spatter clean up afterwards. Not too much smoke if you run your bead half way decent and let the bacon fry. But it will smoke up if you're not careful.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  23. budd

budd

I say buy a gas welder, I saw a nice little miller mig at a swap meet for $200 a month or so ago, I have 5 millers now, two migs, two sticks and a tig so I didn't buy another one, some of the cheap mig welders do not have contacts so the wire is always hot, you don't want that, some don't have a solenoid for the gas just a valve in the gun, they can leak and there goes your gas, you don't want that either, I say a smaller 220 miller mig.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy howdy Dave you sure know how to push these guys buttons.

25. If you really want to hear some angry dudes with some serious opinions try spending some time on the welding forums. If it were up to them none of us would be allowed to weld without a $5000 machine or a voc tech education. Lots of really useful info as well though.

26. Bought a Hobart Handler 190 (220V) from Tractor Supply a few years ago for less than $600 and was just using it with flux wire the first year. Then I got a bottle of gas, switched polarity and was surprised how great the welds were, how much less the wire bird-nested and how long this small bottle is lasting.

27. Champscotty58

Champscotty58

HA! I was just getting ready to post almost the exact same thing. Hobart has a real good welder and mine came with the hose and regulator for gas, but also comes with flux core wire to get you started. Good welder, reasonably priced that you can use right out of the box without having to buy a gas bottle and have it filled right away. You have the option to go with the flux core or bottle up when you want.

28. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

I weld almost every day. I bought a hobat and love it. I use gas. Hobarts are nice because most stores sell tips that work with them. They are the same as a Miller only cheaper. After about a year of having my ho140 I bought a Hobart 210 love it even more. Also have a Hobart stick welder for the farm repairs

29. We have had the older version of this welder for several years (Handler 197) That or the equivalent Lincoln or Miller is about as low as I would go as far as power. Unless you were a renter with no access to 220, but, even then there are solutions. One of the most iconic hot rods in Minnesota was built in the 80s with a 220 drop cords strung out the window of the laundry room!

30. My Hobart actually came with a Miller gun