Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lets see your vintage model cars

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Moriarity, Feb 25, 2015.

1. I thought things seamed a little slow this evening. So this may be a good time for some models. I don't like posting pictures of my dusty old models , when there are so many better threads out there. But here are a few 32s, because everyone loves a Deuce! Ron... 019.jpg 020.jpg

54delray, Deuces, quick85 and 3 others like this.
  2. A couple better shots of that sedan. 037.jpg 039.jpg

54delray, Deuces, camcrusher and 6 others like this.
  3. One of my favorite show RODS!!! 033.jpg 034.jpg

54delray, Deuces, edcodesign and 5 others like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

I need to spend some time fixing these things... I built this around 1974.

[​IMG]

Deuces, Uribe, camcrusher and 5 others like this.
  5. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

6. raymay

raymay

Models of some of my full size 37 Chevy cars and trucks I have designed and built in the 70's and 80's.

IMG_2374.JPG IMG_2375.JPG

54delray, Deuces, quick85 and 2 others like this.
  7. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

Here are some I built in the late 80's-early 90's. Pardon the OT Porsche 959. I get my inspiration from all over.

Attached Files:

Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  8. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

When I was a kid in 80's my dad and I built lots of models. here is little gem he put together with some stuff I had discarded. Not sure what year it is supposed to be but its powered by a cross-rammed Y- Block, has a machine turned firewall (hard to see) a scratch built exhaust system, filled deck lid and it's channeled. It has suffered some damage over the years (missing a headlite) but still displays well. He was great at taking my junk and making gold out of it. It kinda made me mad sometimes but I sure miss those times we had.

Attached Files:

• rod.jpg
      rod.jpg
      File size:
      58.5 KB
      Views:
    • rod2.jpg
      rod2.jpg
      File size:
      53.2 KB
      Views:
    54delray, Deuces, thehazguy and 2 others like this.
  9. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

He was also great at scratch building stuff - check out these vintage operational scale bumper jacks.

Attached Files:

10. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

This is one of my favorites - This is an old Johan '60 Plymouth Police kit that I started then gave up on. He took it over and worked his magic. Hemi, tubbed, ladder bar rear suspension, hood scoop & check out the Nitrous and fire extinguisher bottles.

Attached Files:

• ply4.jpg
      ply4.jpg
      File size:
      79.7 KB
      Views:
    • ply3.jpg
      ply3.jpg
      File size:
      95.9 KB
      Views:
    • ply.jpg
      ply.jpg
      File size:
      71.3 KB
      Views:
    • ply2.jpg
      ply2.jpg
      File size:
      82.6 KB
      Views:
  11. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

54delray, Deuces, Church Key and 4 others like this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

1/10 th scale hand carved basswood buck of Roths' outlaw. Carved by the toolmakers at Revell

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

54delray, Deuces, edcodesign and 7 others like this.
  13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Deals wheels 57 and the car Revell commissioned Jim Allen of Fiberglassics to build[​IMG][​IMG]

54delray, Deuces, quick85 and 4 others like this.
  14. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Here is a Dodge Johan I put together for a friend to represent his real deal 426 Max Wedge Super Stocker.

DSCN4964.JPG DSCN5067.JPG DSCN5072.JPG Polara2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Stock Racer, 54delray, Deuces and 7 others like this.
  15. dang.....lost allot to some petty kid thieves that got in my storage shed.....had been collecting my buddies old models that they were tossing out....that's the real loss.....still saved a few.....will try and get some out to post....

16. My mom got real mad at me as a kid. When I melted this old ford, and put a little rubber man in it. Than I cut my finger and put blood on him and the windshield. lol 20160113_124131_020.jpg

54delray, Deuces, thehazguy and 2 others like this.
  17. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Come get em. Dickson city pa. Will not ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    Deuces, Ron Funkhouser and thehazguy like this.
  18. When I was a kid, I use to build models like crazy. One of the main reasons that enticed me into buying kits was the box art. One weekend I happened to drop in a Hobby Store and looked at the models.
    AMT and MPC kits had reinstated some ol' traditional art on boxes called "Retro Series" or something like that.
    As I was staring at all the cool art on the boxes, a thought came into my head...why isn't there a book on Retro model kit box art? I would buy it.

19. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

It's a shame that they don't issue the retro kits with retro prices!
    $26.99 for a kit that the tooling has been paid for 100 times over is a crime!
    Kids will never build models of any kind with those kind of prices.
    Fortunately my Son who is now 42 started buying kits and putting them away when he was a kid.
    He has about 450-475 unbuilt kits that he plans to build someday with his Son when my Grandson is a little older, he's only 5. I'm sure they will never build all of them.
    KK

Deuces, quick85, beebing and 2 others like this.
  20. Rand Man

Rand Man

All mine are long gone. My sister threw them out. "You still wanted that crap? They were just old plastic toys." I don't speak to my older sister much since then.

21. Moms and sister's will never get it. And wives' don't either, Gots to keep the garage LOCKED! lol Here is an old one 20160115_223856.jpg I built for fun. Ron...

Deuces, gtoeasy64, quick85 and 4 others like this.
  22. Yeah its a crime, I use to enthusiastically earn some small cash shoveling snow or delivering papers. Then easily afford to go out and BUY 5 or 6 model kits. What a blast! Now there's no incentive for kids to enjoy a great hobby and be productive. Instead, just stare at the tube, phone, or computer. Sad.
    I want the book so I can dream about the good ol' days, enjoy great art and use as inspiration for my own art. The way its going in my situation, beyond my control...I can't afford to buy them either.
    I'm glad what your son had done. Now he can enjoy passing along and building models with his son.
    Not a better joy than that.

Deuces, quick85 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  23. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

24. wutnxt

wutnxt

Realism to the extreme. Sounds like something I would have thought of doing but too "weenie" to follow through. I did though accidentally cut my thumb with a fresh X-Acto while pondering what to do to my new '40 coupe kit. Still have the scar to remind me.

25. I accidentally stuck an xacto through my jeans into my thigh one day, man was there some blood!

26. I am beyond jealous!!!!!!!!!

54delray, Deuces, Moriarity and 2 others like this.
  27. My first model car, circa about 1962 0r 1963. Made from one of those horrid Revell metal flake kits. School colors, Orange and Green!

first model 1.jpg

Built for an old Auto World mail-in contest for LSR HO cars using the new ThunderJet semi-can motor chassis. Circa 1976? They didn't say you couldn't use 2 motors. The company went out of business before they called for the cars to be mailed. I never ran it.
    mellow yellow 3.jpg mellow yellow 2.jpg

About 1/20th scale '33 Willys made using the great Monogram Sizzler kits and 00-90 nuts and bolts like the Yonts brothers used on their Revell National contest winners in the 60s. Body is fiberglass made from a carved wood pattern. This was before the AMT Willys kits abut 1965.
    Model1.jpg Model2.jpg

1939 Willys sedan made from a couple Revell coupe kits. About 1980?

39 Willys.jpg
    Pretty stock AMT Willys kit that won the local Revell national contest. Didn't win anything in the national but still got the great trophy.
    Revell Trophy.jpg

Another HO entry in an Auto World mail in contest. I sent this one in but didn't win anything. Car had to run on a track to be eligible for judging. When I got it back a pick up lead wire was broken. body is fiberglasss from acarved wood pattern, chassis is soldered, chrome plated brass. Front axle has working steering, front wheels are 1/8" x 1/4" ball bearings w/ O-rings for tires.

HO Willys.jpg

Stock Racer, 54delray, Deuces and 6 others like this.