Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need opinions!

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by lovethegame777, Jul 20, 2016.

?
  1. Flake

19.3%
  2. Lace

15.8%
  3. Plain white

71.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lovethegame777

lovethegame777

image.jpeg Going to repaint the roof on my 56. I'm going to lower the car about 3 inches all the way around, 15" cragars, skinny white walls, and white brake drums. Can't decide if I should go plain white or white with flake. Also thinking about possibly lacing the roof? Flake colors, lace colors, or just plain white.... What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

2. leave it white

X38, 29AVEE8 and 302GMC like this.
  3. 504640

of the 3 choices, i voted white. But, personally I'd probably go with a darker top, possibly matching the interior. You have a real choice selection of machinery there!

4. Looks great just as it sits,think sleeper. HRP

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Raise the car (not much, just about 1.5") with station wagon spec springs all around, wider rear wheels, oversize rear tires, Traction Masters, 390 FE with World Class 5 speed trans, '57-'59 9" butt.
    Go 'Chevy hunting'.
    They'll all race a Ford, so...Surprise 'em. (many modifications can be made to an FE for low bucks. Nothin' prettier than a 'Tri-5' in the rear view mirror!)

Texas Webb and lovethegame777 like this.
  6. Sometimes it's hard to leave well enough alone,the car looks great to me.

think sleeper. HRP

302GMC likes this.
  7. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tan and gold on the roof...some white striping

8. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Put it all back together & drop it ... you have the right wheels & tires already.

9. lovethegame777

lovethegame777

Interior is a custom black, dark gray, and silver, with metallic silver piping. And thank you!

10. it's got the race ready look right now. Leave it.

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do not like like the roof paint selections - how about a pale blue or white pearl? just enough to keep people guessing - No Cragars with thin whitewalls, and no white brake drums

Texas57 likes this.
  12. I like it just the way it is.

13. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Leave it as is.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I am pretty sure he asked what color he should paint the roof...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

504640 likes this.
  15. 'Mo

'Mo

I like scallops!
    Oh, wait! Was that an option?:confused:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    504640 likes this.
  16. 504640

I've always like subtle contrast: white/silver, white/gray. I see you have your grill out. Intentions? You have your hood nosed. Are you going mild custom? Could you envision a gray top with silver scallops?

need louvers ? likes this.
  17. White brake drums? An people ask me why red wheels?

lothiandon1940 and wbrw32 like this.
  18. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

How about some white flaked lace? Almost ghost like.

19. lovethegame777

lovethegame777

Similar to this but obviously a ford and lower

Attached Files:

20. I'd leave it white but I likes my fords kinda plain.... 55fordblack.jpg

arkiehotrods, jeta12, 302GMC and 4 others like this.
  21. I think the poll says it all.

22. 504640

Know what? Your description of rolling stock selection did not appeal to me. But I have to admit, the chevy doesn't look half bad. PLEASE! No more red wheels. I love cragers, and I realize that upon their introduction, the wide white faze had fizzled out, but the use of skinny white walls were in vogue. And I do remember guys painting the drums, but mostly black. I'll bet your selection is period perfect and was used in that era as much as the now- way -over -used, red wheels were then! So, I believe the proper use of cragers is blackwalls only, not even white lettering, but you may be on to having a unique, period perfect, very appealing customline! .

23. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

24. lovethegame777

lovethegame777

I was going to put in one of those custom smoothie grilles but then I can't use my parking lights so I'm going stock grille. I just wanted to shave the hood, all new glass, lower it, and keep it clean looking. Just running the stock 223 with a split manifold and a Fordomatic. Mild 60's custom is the idea. But I'm only 22 so I can really "recall the good ole days" lol.

25. lovethegame777

lovethegame777

That 55 is fucking killer!

26. 504640

Don't forget to deck it! A change to custom taillight lenses is an inexpensive custom touch. Maybe you can't "recall", but you retain what you have learned well! You are on the right "mild 60's custom" track with your ideas for application.

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dude! I'm diggin' where you are going with this one! YES on the Cragars and the pin whites! By '65, looking through the pages of Car Craft from the era, that is where the Downy crew went after the Skylark craze. Just make sure you don't get a set with a deep reverse and a shallow back space, 'cause that'll launch you square into early seventies low rider, and that's a whole 'nother deal. I'm thinking a 205/75-15 on a 15X6.

As far as roof paint, something subtly wild, like maybe a bronzy-gold metal flake would be where I would go. Hell, by the 1965 time frame, which is where your wheel and tire choice is pointing, even Watson was toning stuff down a bit and going for richer colors rather than crazy flashy techniques. Again, all the panel paint and stuff would re-emerge about 7-8 years later with the low rider crew, so I think I would pass on lace and stuff. I believe Rik Hoving's sight has a link to all of Watson's photographs, so that would be a good study.

Remember, customs by the mid sixties were a pretty rare deal. You just flat don't see too many of them in print, other than in the special "show" sections of the era. Get ready for people to not quite "get" it, but I can tell you do!

504640 likes this.
  28. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

"Love Machine" etched into the quarter window...

29. 504640

need louvers ? Well! Yes he does! I shout out louvers every chance I get; I suppose Hambers are tired of my shout outs. I am a big fan of nosed and louvered customs, with an exception being a 56 ford. I like the inset hood ornament and like to see louvers behind it. It is mandatory, isn't it, for flathead early fords to have louvers. I have both of the hoods off of my 2 and hope to get them to a press this Fall! I agree; I like where the kid is going on this one.

30. I vote white. Keep it simple.
    No lace. No lace on anything, ever........................