Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects new member. watch me section my Desoto.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rytang, Jun 29, 2016.

1. BLACK STUDE

BLACK STUDE

You are going way farther with this car than 99.9% of us would even dream. Just from what I've seen so far, this car is gonna be killer. The tape mock-up you did with the 56 taillight looks good. Here is an idea I had to make your taillight look more custom. With your skills, shouldn't be too difficult. You could go mild to wild, hope it's clear as mud. IMG_20160719_112107.jpg

rytang likes this.
  2. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

So your lights are held on by the bottom trim bolt hole only?

3. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Thank you everyone!

Someone mentioned these lights won't look factory... I don't want anything to be factory. I want people to scratch their heads when they see it. I've been doing a lot of research on The Maze... Man that's one of the coolest cars! I'm thinking of "beaking" my taillights similar to that. Thoughts? Anyone have more pictures of that car?

Also... Last night I fell asleep thinking how can I get each light square... Times 2. I woke up this morning with a plan! Im making 2 separate jigs to hold each light at the perfect angle before I attach them to the actual car. So I'll spend today measuring and get the jigs made.
    20160629_173003.jpg

4. Amen to that. Isn't that what Kustom is all about?

5. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Haha! I've already changed the car... It doesn't resemble a 54 desoto anymore. (I've had old 54 desoto owners ask me what it is) My new goal is to make owners of 56 bel airs not know what my taillights are.
    I want this car wild, like a 60's show car.

RockinRivi, 120mm, reagen and 5 others like this.
  6. Sorry, I made a mistake.Or as the politicians say, I misspoke. That was maybe 15 years ago and I forgot how I ended up doing it.
    What I did was cut out the part of the taillight housing that the protruding bullet lens is attached to which hits the Lee lenses. Then you have to fabricate a way to mount the bulb socket.

rytang likes this.
  7. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Thank you very much.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

The only issue you have with the angled tail light housing is the angle at the top where it takes an immediate 40 degree dive and really the bottom as well. The side angle looks good, but it seems like you're trying to emulate the '56 Packard look without using the '56 Packard light. I know, it's a bit cliche, but it also looks damn good and that's why everybody uses it. BLACK STUDE could be on to something with the custom outer housing and using only the innards of the '56 Chevy light, where the upper and lower angles can be corrected. You're doing it right man, custom as hell. I dig it. Keep at it and don't compromise.

chryslerfan55 and rytang like this.
  9. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Thanks man! Once something is in my head, that's usually what happens on the car. I'll just have to figure something out for the angle on the bezels. I'll cross that road when I get there. Right now, I've got a ton of metal work to do, and none of the tools lol

10. I do see the point of the bezel taking a nose dive, didn't catch that before when I looked at it. One way to cover for that, though, would be to make a slight curve at the tip of the fender rather than coming straight out. I think if the top line made a gentle curve down flowing right into the angle you ended up with at the bezel, it might work out....think how a front fender flows down a bit to blend in with the curve of the headlight bezel.

chryslerfan55, scotty t and rytang like this.
  11. By doing the "beaks" over the tail lights like the Maze, you eliminate the angle issue......

12. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Do you know of any other cars that had that?

13. There were a few, I will look for examples.

DenK and rytang like this.
  14. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Weld em up, before anymore chickens vote!

15. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Don't put me down with the nay-sayers. As long as people don't immediately pick the taillights out as 56 Chevy it will all be good. Sounds like you have plans afoot to handle that.

rytang likes this.
  16. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

Ok... Jigs made. Taillights are now completely symmetrical. Measured every possible way... About 5000 times
    20160629_172411.jpg
    20160630_122333.jpg Now to attach them to the actual car. This will be the way I'm mounting them. Angle and everything. I love it!! 20160630_122418.jpg Also... I've been thinking about "beaking" these tails all day! That usually means it's happening...
    Does anyone have any info on cars from the 50s and 60s that had beaks?? Like The Maze had? Please share with me!! Threads too!

And thank you everyone for commenting! That really inspires me to get more done! Even the negative! That inspires me to it my way!

*notice the relief cuts on the taillight surrounds... (Even the car doesn't like these lights! Lol fights me every step of the way!)

17. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

Never seen so much air between parts to be welded.Cant wait to see more!

18. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

This is a Maze inspired custom (tribute?).

19. Early Ironman

Early Ironman

I really like how your fins match your bumper guards.
    ... Now I am imagining little beaks on the bumper guards too.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

rytang likes this.
  20. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

I was gonna get rid of them... But I kinda like em too... But still might get rid of em. Thank you!

21. Mikeszcz

Mikeszcz
    from Winona, Mn

(welder jargon).........If you can walk it, I can fill it.

volvobrynk likes this.
  22. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Sorry to come to the party late, but you could have just shortened the height of the Chevy housings, and used Lee lenses, shortened, as well.

23. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

A man with a mission! Keep it going, you're doing great.

rytang likes this.
  24. I looked some last night. I found one I will post later but it's a small photo.....

I can think of some more but may not be able to find them. I recall another '57 Ford, I think a convertible. It was a dark color. I have only seen B&W photos, taken at a show. Seems like it was called the "spyder" (spelled that way?) I think it had a large spider painted on it.

Another one I remember but don't even know what kind of car it was. It had beaks coming down from the top and up from the bottom. In between I think it had '56 Chevy lenses.

rytang likes this.
  25. An example from the 1958 Custom Cars Annual, although they don't curve down.
    gnffghng.jpg

Here's an example of headlights done that way:
    htjtuy.jpg

chryslerfan55 and rytang like this.
  26. rytang

rytang
    from Arizona

27. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Bo Huff built a ranchero with beaks. They might be a bit over the top on your DeSorta, but they might look cool too

kidcampbell71 and rytang like this.
  28. ken bogren

ken bogren

Rather than tilt the 56 Chevy tail lights could you use a different bumper or construct a dip in the bumper under the tail light?

MyCrustyVW, rytang and volvobrynk like this.