Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does this look like a Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motormaniac, Mar 15, 2006.

1. motormaniac

motormaniac

I ask because I’m having some titling issues. What you are looking at is a 1930 Willys-Overland cowl (and doors eventually) grafted to a 1930 extended back section from a Model A RPU. The frame is scratch built as are the wheels. The hood is from a Chevy and will be modified to line up the belt lines. The grill will be a 1930 Willys which looks like a Model A. Most or the suspension is early Ford.

I can not for the life of me find a clean 1930 Willys title but I do have a 1930 Model A Roadster title.

Do I call it a Ford and title it as a Model A Roadster?

Thanks,
    Motor

Attached Files:

2. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Add the blue oval or the script logo and you are in business!

3. Don't know how sharp the local gostaple is but around here you wouldn't have a problem. Just stamp your frame numbers on a run with it. that's what I would do.

4. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I realize that only you and the DMV will know that it's titled as a Ford, but titling a Willys as a Ford just seems... wrong.

Too bad you're not in Michigan, I've got a real nice method for getting a clean title here saved on my computer.

5. alchemy

alchemy

Hey Bigcheese, why don't you get a title for "your" Willys and "sell" the car to him?

6. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

It involves an in-person inspection by a law-enforcement official. Seems a mite pricey to ship the car back and forth.

7. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Use the ford title. First, you're never going to stopped by the cops around here, they're too busy chasing ricers, and second, they wouldn't know the difference. My T roadster doesn't say Ford on it anywhere nor do most other hotrods...

8. muffman58

muffman58

I would think that its enough like a Ford to not have anyone hassle you. O.T. Are those wheel blanks? Also love the P1800! Tell me your roddin it!

9. motormaniac

motormaniac

I'm trying to avoid having to get it inspected at the state police because thay will most likely want to call it a home built and I want to be able to use a 1930 Washington plate on it.

Yes, those are forged aluminum wheel blanks. 18" all around. I plan to dull the fronts to look like the rears.

Motor

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I LOVE IT!! Any build pics? Did you make that rear crossmember yourself or is that from something else? Very nice work!

11. Wow ! That thing has THE LOOK ! :)

I hope that title deal works out for you.

12. Dirk35

Dirk35

Hmmmmm, Lets see, Ford Rear Section, Willys Cowl, Chevy Hood, Motormaniac Frame, ..........obivisouly, a Dodge Grille is in Order here to complete the Car.

Call it a Forwiloletege. For=Ford, wil=Willys, olete=Chevrolete, ge=Dodge!

Title it was whatever is cheaper/easier as it really doesnt matter at this point.

It looks good though!

13. tjm73

tjm73

Yes and those wheels look awesome! Very cool.

I would like to see build pics too

I can't make out the engine, but that looks like a T5 tranny. Is it a 2.3 Ford?

14. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Call it a Ford, get it inspected, put on a Model A shell with a Ford emblem and call it a day. Put the other grille on when your paperwork is finalized.

15. burger

burger

I'm no help... just wanted to tell you those rims are the bee's knees. The rear crossmember's pretty slick too.

Hey, what are those rear tires?

16. motormaniac

motormaniac

Thanks for the compliments. I came up with the wheel ibea a little while ago and from the company I purchased them from I could get some tall and skinny sizes. The fronts are 18" x 4.25" and the rears are 18" x 5.5"

The rear tires are "atc something or others Transport bias plys from Coker" 33" tall!

I drew up the rear cross member in CAD and had it laser cut from 1/4" material. The is rolled in three pieces and then welded inside and out.

I look for some build pics. They seem to be saved all over the place at the moment.

Here is a pic before I moved the front axle back. It looked too long.

Attached Files:

17. motormaniac

motormaniac

Oh yah, forgot to mention that the engine is a 240Z engine. Light, Fast, and Cheap!

18. BlackFlag

BlackFlag

Those engines came stock with dual side draft webers right? looks pretty good and those have a decent aftermarket for them as well. Bitchin car, I hope everything works out for you.

19. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Great proportions. I particularly like the wheel & tire sizes in proportion to the wheelbase.

Will the doors actually be that long, or will you extend the quarters forward?

20. plymouth_man

plymouth_man
    from WI.

Check you local D.M.V. Here you can get collector plates,but has to be origninal. Than they have a Hobbyist plate,which the car has to be 20 years old and vehicle is modified from orgn. manufacturers specs. vehical can still be recognized as the orgn. year and make. If you don't tell them that it's not a Ford body they won't know. They give you a tag for it. use your ford title.

21. michael037

michael037
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with burger. Trick fabrication work. Looks good.
    Michael

22. Tetanus Shot

Tetanus Shot

i have a 1934 willys-overland title if you are interested, i know its not a 1930 but you could at least have it registered as a willys

23. Dick Steinkamp

Dick Steinkamp

Actually, it can't be done, and the car is probably worthless, so the best thing to do is to just sell it to me ;)

BEAUTIFUL car!

You might try Broadway Title...

http://www.broadwaytitle.com/

-Dick-

24. burger

burger

I think I found the tire... is this it?

[​IMG]

25. LuckyBastardMiguel

LuckyBastardMiguel

I agree with porknbeaner just go with it and good luck.

26. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

looks like a 30 to me

27. motormaniac

motormaniac

Burger, These are them, them are those, those are these!

28. tjm73

tjm73

Inline 6!?!?! Sweet! This is one cool car IMO.

29. motormaniac

motormaniac

Thanks for the compliments and the advice!

Motor

30. I'd call it real "COOL" and use whatever title you have....got a real neat look to it.
    Skot