Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anything between epoxy primer and color

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Jul 19, 2016.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I am not a professional painter but pretend to be one in my garage,I just put epoxy primer on a set of rims so I need to know if I should put anything on them before color or scuff down and paint over the epoxy primer.

2. jazz1

jazz1

I'm not a professional painter so I wet sand epoxy primer with 400, clean, tac and paint. This is how I have done it for 40 years

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Do the rims need any sanding to smooth out imperfections? Or need a sealer coat to seal up bodywork, or a previous paint job? If not, just scuff and shoot. If they were good enough in the beginning, you could have just put a coat or 2 of epoxy on them, and shoot the color inside the "window" prescribed by whatever epoxy you used. No sanding necessary. If you go outside that time window, you have to sand/scuff for paint to stick.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

On wheels, Jeff, I would not do anything more, but on a body I would put sealer over the primer. Scuff, wipe down, and shoot IMO.

Don

5. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

It looks like its going to be more then scuff and paint,the primer shows all the gouges from the full caps and blemishes from the manufacturing process in the two original 50s rims so time for some high build primer. The two late 80s cop car rims are in much better shape since they only had the bottle caps during its life but will go over them too,will have to go to the paint store for primer tomorrow and will be working on these rims the rest of the week and maybe into next week so no easy paint this time. Since I can not do anything tonight its off to bike night for some food and beer.