Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '25 T Roadster Sports Rod.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Limey Kid, Nov 14, 2015.

1. metal man

metal man

I'm sorry we didn't formally meet at Stewart's place. I was busy and didn't realize you were there! Next time.
    I think everyone had a terrific weekend. That was the most fun i ever had while working. Made some new friends and reacquainted with some old ones. Stewart and Lisa made sure we had plenty of good food and warm beer all weekend.
    Most importantly, we got a lot of work done.

2. Harms Way

Harms Way

metal man,... It was a blast, It reminded me of the old days when a bunch of pals would get together on a friends project and thrash on it. I was the guy that was impressed with the front axle on your Touring.... You sir, Have some skills ! It was a honor to meet you.

metal man likes this.
  3. t-rod

t-rod

That looks like a real car! Nice job on everything, and it looks like everyone had a great time.

Sent from my SM-G386T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

metal man likes this.
  4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Kid.Loving the build.Outstanding sir.Neat but not gaudy.Whats that saying from your neck of the woods?Oh yeah"Keep yer pecker up".God bless.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

metal man likes this.
  5. charlesf

charlesf

Stewart,
    Thanks so much for the Saturday gathering. It's an honor and a privilege to be considered a friend; and obviously many others feel the same way.

Chuck

metal man likes this.
  6. metal man

metal man

Stewart told me who you were, after you left. There were so many of his friends and loved ones there...I couldn't have known who everyone was. I did enjoy our brief conversation.Next time we'll talk more.

Harms Way likes this.
  7. metal man

metal man

And my son and I had the same thought. The whole thing felt like what car clubs USED to be ( and I'm sure still are here and there). I wish all those guys lived closer to me. We drove 4 1/2 hours to get there, and Clark drove 10 hours.

Charlie Chops 1940 likes this.
  8. Holy smoke, what an awesome build! Very inspiring...I'd love to have one, but it'd be like trying to cram 100lbs of crap in a 5lb bag.

Sending good thoughts your way, hope you can kick cancer's ass to the curb and leave it there for good.

loudbang likes this.
  9. A Boner

A Boner

image.jpeg Thumbnail pic is too small
    Select the "Full Image" instead

loudbang and Blues4U like this.
  10. Harms Way

Harms Way

Hey Limey !,....
    Looks like you finally found the right Hub !.... And you were right about that color,.... It actually looks fantastic on this roadster... Well Done !

11. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

So here are some better pictures of the car. There is no weight on the front so it will come down about 2" with the engine, trans, radiator, and all the other stuff in the engine bay.
    Several of my best friends came and worked on my car for me. Chris flew in from the UK on Thursday. Clark (Clark on here) from PA, Jim (metal man) and his son, Nathan (Nathan Stewart) from OH, drove in. A bunch of my local friends came also. Erik (hot rod apprentice) Gerry and Dale. We worked a 12/13 hour day on Friday and ended up with paint on the frame. On Saturday we had a "Forget the Cancer" party so a whole slew on my non-car friends came and hung out whilst the guys worked in the garage. A few past students came along with some other guys who came and created mischief and caused trouble. A bunch of young kids brush painted some of the body panels. The paint was pink when wet, but lucky for me, dried a darker red!!!! I misplaced a front hub, otherwise it would have been on all 4 wheels by days end. Said hub was found Sunday morning. The guys who had driven in hit the road on Sunday afternoon, after working a half day!!!!!
    An incredible amount of work was done in such a short time. They worked so bloody hard. Nobody got in anyones face, nobody tripped over anybody, just great skills and a lot of taking the piss, and a whole lot of laughs. I am so grateful to those guys for coming in and giving me so much work. Before they came, I was several weeks behind schedule suffering the side effects of my new chemo. Now I'm back in the game. My entry has been confirmed for ECTA Wilmington event at the end of September, so its on I have 9 weeks to get this thing finished. Heres SOME of the stuff that got done.....
    Fuel Tank mounts made. Frame cleaned up and sanded. Windshield posts cut and modified. Windshield frame cut down and narrowed. Brake lines run. Headlights mounts made. Tail lights mounted. Deck lid made in aluminum. Hood top made in aluminum. Front shocks mounted. Hood side louvres cut down. Roll Bar made and installed. Body tidied up. Seat backs made in aluminum.
    It was touching for so many friends to give me so much of there time and skills to help me check something off my bucket list. Thank you guys. I can't thank you enough.
    Cheers,
    Stewart. IMG_2023.jpg IMG_2024.jpg IMG_2025.jpg IMG_2026.jpg IMG_2027.jpg IMG_2028.jpg IMG_2031.jpg IMG_2030.jpg

12. Stewart,
    You might have told Mr Howell to put some factor 2000 on his head.:D:D
    Charlie.

13. Harms Way

Harms Way

Looks Pretty Dang SASSY !..... Wll done Ol' Bean !

14. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Charlie,
    I kept him in the garage working, so he didn't go in the sun. Purely for his own safety, of course. .
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

loudbang and volvobrynk like this.
  15. Clark

Clark

Looks good out in the street! Don't forget the kid that got the rivets!!!!☺
    Thanks for inviting me and just let me know if you want to do it again. I had a blast and came away with some new friends
    Clark

16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi Kid.Looking good.Good friends,good times make for great memories.Sounds like a good time was had by all.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

17. millersgarage

millersgarage

wish I could have been there. Looks like you had a garage full of talent.

Let me know if you still need anything.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. That thing is going to be fun AF!

19. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

That's the plan! What it lacks in hp and torque, it will make up for with agility and lightweight. It will make under 100hp but will only weigh 1300 lbs, and sit 4 1/2" off the ground at the front (7" at the rear, it's got to have a rake!). An oversized go-kart.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    volvobrynk and cactus1 like this.
  20. Stewart -- What goes around comes around. Sounds as if you have a bunch of good karma built up. ;)

21. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Got a bit more work done.
    Fitted the gas tank and ran the fuel line up to the firewall.
    Formed the top and side lips of the seat backs, and started mocking up for the seat bases.
    I have run out of $$$, and our daughter goes off to college in 3 weeks. So I sold my tubing bender to the young welder at school. My "cams" money got spent on pistons and machine work. So basically I traded my bender for a pair of cams and some cash. Whatever it takes right. Speed costs money, I just cant afford to go too fast :>(. !!!
    Cheers,
    Stewart. IMG_2032.jpg

22. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

The ECTA defines the floor if mounted to the bottom of the frame as a Belly Pan. A true Floor is mounted on top of the frame. If you use a Belly Pan, a secondary floor, in the area of the drivers feet, has to be installed. I made a frame of 1/2" square tube and riveted a piece of aluminium sheet to it. Just need to fix brackets to attach it to the frame. I tack welded the wire mesh behind the grille shell. When fitted, I could see the offset radiator as the core is aluminium. A few minutes with a rattle can sorted that out. IMG_2034.jpg IMG_2033.jpg IMG_2035.jpg IMG_2036.jpg IMG_2034.jpg IMG_2033.jpg IMG_2035.jpg IMG_2036.jpg
    The punch list isn't getting any shorter :>(. Every time I go to cross something off, I remember something else to add!!!!
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

juan motime, kiwijeff, t-rod and 4 others like this.
  23. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Stewart....Inspiring. Glad everyone came and gave it a push forward, and you now can see the thing through! If I were closer, I`d help too......Looking forward to September!

Seems to me you need an appropriate Bonneville Windshield Decal. PM me and we will sort out something from my collection.....Cheers!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

A little more work today. Got the seat bases made. Lots of fiddly template work.
    Cheers,
    Stewart. IMG_2037.jpg

25. Clark

Clark

Cool! I'm liking these daily updates

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'm really enjoying this, sorry you had to sacrifice your tube bender. A tool I can't seem to let rest...
    Your aluminum work is so inspiring I can't wait to tackle the interior of my '23!!!
    You make it look as easy as model airplanes!

loudbang likes this.
  27. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

Clark did the hard work, and made it look so easy. He made the seat backs, all I did was bend over the flanges. Watching him bend the aluminium over a gas bottle, his knee, or his chest, and dropping the piece right in place was demoralizing. All credit goes to Clark, I just did the easy flat stuff. Jim and Nate made the deck lid with removable corners for the roll bar down tubes. Another work of art.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

28. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

I was working on attaching the hood sides, when the painters showed up and needed to paint them, as well as the turtle deck. So the had at it. Like all true artists they signed their work!
    An overall shot of the deck lid. I have a nice original deck lid, but when I suggested cutting it up to fit the roll bar down tubes I was told they would make one in aluminium! Bloody restorer types!! Jim (Metal Man) and Nate (Nathan Stewart) knocked this out in a day. I didn't know I had the tools to make it, and I know I don't have the skill. IMG_2038.jpg IMG_2040.jpg IMG_2041.jpg Thank you so much guys.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

kiwijeff, bct, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  29. Limey Kid

Limey Kid

I continued with attaching the hood sides and top. Welded 4 small tabs to the bottom frame rail that had 1/4'x20 holes in them. The bottom of the hood sides now bolt to the tabs. Sorry forgot to take pictures. On to the upper alignment pins. Drill 1/8" pilot hole through hood side and both sides of the upper frame rail. Drill through both sides of the upper frame rail with a tapping drill for 1/4'x20. Open up top hole only to 9/32'. Make up 4 alignment pins. These are from 1/4' S/S rod, tapped to 1/4'x20 at one end, and tapered at the other. Tap bottom of the upper frame rail to 1/4'x20. Install pins and lock in place with a jam nut on the underside. The top of the hood sides are now located. Drill 9/32" holes in the hood flange, and there you have it. Hood sides attached, and hood top located side to side and front to back.
    Lunchbox latches are next.
    Cheers,
    Stewart.

Attached Files:

30. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

Your roadster is really looking great!!! I love the stance and I am definitely stealing your instrument pod design. Keep it up.

Rex