Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "I'm here to pick up the rubbish"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Drylake, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Drylake

Drylake

ad_1468222703627.jpg Australian 1932 ford roadster. This is my first Hot Rod I will see to completion. I'm building this car on the cheap, as I find the time, and with what ever resources I can scrounge using as many original and early parts as I can. I will also be setting up my shed for the work required to build my roadster as I go. So progress will be slow and steady... I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can, and appreciate people sharing their knowledge to help me fulfill my childhood dream of driving my very own deuce roadster!

I have worked in the construction industry most of my working life. Building and installing residential and commercial joinery (cabinets) and fitouts. I have the basic know how to get this done, welding and metal skills which will improve as I go. I have the traditional books to help guide me along the way, but I will need some help at times. I hope you enjoy the journey of my build. I am already enjoying the challenge.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  2. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

It's a start, seen worse built.

3340 and volvobrynk like this.
  3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I'm hoping one of your mates will slap the shit out of you for only posting that one pic!

4. Umm, Larry, his avatar makes two :D

volvobrynk, belair and Boolajosh like this.
  5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

ok mr. smarty pants :p...two pics

6. flatford39

flatford39

I'd bring it home.....

7. we need more info.......

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Um, since Larry was only mildly being himself... What tire sizes do you have in mind?
    Oh welcome aboard, stick around, this looks interesting!

9. Thor1

Thor1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey thanks Larry!...I have never squirted hot coffee out of my nose before...until I read this. I got to give my laptop a good cleaning too. I'm sure that anybody watching me would have had a good laugh though!

10. Drylake

Drylake

Ok... i have had a pretty big weekend. Drove 2000klms round trip to pick this up. Left at 5.30pm and arrived at around 5am, loaded up and drove another 10 1/2 hours or so to get home. Looking in my rear view mirror at what i finally had, gave me enough of a rush to keep on driving. I discovered this roadster listed as "forc 1920" on the internet and got an exceptional deal. On arriving to the arranged address and heading in at around 7am with their dogs barking. A four wheel drive came speeding down a dirt track towards me. I was confronted by an angry Vinyard owner yelling at me "WHY ARE YOU HERE? YOU SHOULDN'T BE HERE!" On explaining why i was there he replied "OH YOU'RE HERE TO PICK UP THE RUBBISH " (1932 ford roadster). At this stage i was pinching myself making sure i wasn't dreaming! A 32 roadster with all swinging panels for a give away price being refered to as a piece of rubbish! All my stars had aligned! funny thing is they helped me load it fast! as they were worried I'd change my mind! No chance of that!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2020
  11. Drylake

Drylake

1468898511554.jpg It had been laying upside-down for many years. They didn't know any history on the roadster other than it sat on pasquarlis farm for at least 40 years. Sadly his wife had passed away and the family farm was sold 2 years prior to me buying the roadster. Both father and son were very friendly and polite. While they got the extension tines for the Falk lift I asked if I could stretch me legs and walk down to look at the chev blitz they also saved from the farm. I did ask if they knew of any other parts for the roadster. I was told they threw parts away when they cleaned up the farm. I also asked about a flathead V8 that was available but was told a v8 would not be a suitable engine for a little ford roadster. A seized flathead was actually more expensive than the 32. I did my best to agree and not ruin my deal. I was very excited and very tired from my long day at work and drive there after.

12. HD Driver

HD Driver

Larry, your right! We need more pic's. Some detail shots would be nice?

Stogy and Drylake like this.
  13. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Bet there is a 1920 forc coupe there too... nice find.

Drylake and Peanut 1959 like this.
  14. Drylake

Drylake

Needless to say, i paid the asking price! It's still on the trailer, more to come! Clearing some projects to build a rare Australian deuce! I'm a happy man!

15. Drylake

Drylake

1468902253773.jpg This is my engine at this stage. The manifold is an S & J Brown, produced in Coburg North, Melbourne, Australia, the carbs are what came with a lot I purchased. I have some nice 94 holleys which I think I'll run.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  16. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

What are the major differences in a Aust. deuce, other than right hand drive?

Drylake and Stogy like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

How's the saying go, one mans rubbish.................
    Yes Virginia, they're still out there.
    Be happy in your work, there's plenty of it!
    Progress reports (read that as photos) are expected.

chryslerfan55 and Drylake like this.
  18. fnjunk

fnjunk
    from Australia

Congratulations man I,m subscribed.
    looking forward to seeing her transformation.

Drylake likes this.
  19. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

Mudderfugger! nice pickup. Waiting for detail pics...

Drylake, Peter Nowak and Clay Belt like this.
  20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Well someone has to say WELCOME TO THE HAMB! What a great find in this day and age. Bob

21. Welcome from Southern Minnesota, great score on the 32, lucky man!!

Drylake and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

A lot more timber, subrails, I think, doors etc.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy and volvobrynk like this.
  23. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

nasty old wooden framed piece of junk ,why would you want it LUCKY BASTARD good on you for being so switched on, and to follow up the add, I know all about not following up leads on cars ,but then who would want a 1933 phaeton lol . it took me twenty years to collect enough original parts for a 32 roadster like yours even though I didn't go more than 50 miles from home to get all the bits ,if I travelled that far in my state I would be dizzy ,what are your plans for the build

chryslerfan55, Drylake and Stogy like this.
  24. Drylake

Drylake

1468916066504.jpg Plans are based around my squirreled suply of early ford bits. 35 wire wheels, bias ply firestone tyres, flathead, 39 trans, triple 94's, weiend cheater heads and rumble seat. I have played a little with rougher panels to make some cash to fund projects. It will be slow but it's better in my shed than in a paddock in the rain i figure! The photo is of a quarter panel I repaired and sold.

Photos don't do the roadster justice. Timber floor and timber in the door frames is all the difference i can tell from US to Aussie models structure wise. Pretty much the stuff that would have to be replaced anyway!

25. Drylake

Drylake

1468916514516.jpg It started off as this!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  26. Drylake

Drylake

Thanks for the welcome Bob! Been lurking for a couple of years but didn't really have any input. Just learning and taking inspiration.

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  27. chopped f1

chopped f1
    from Australia

congratulations from another aussie scrounger
    glad to see a good deal swing your way

Big mike 1968 and Drylake like this.
  28. Good on you, mate.

29. grumpy32

grumpy32
    from Australia

Just goes to show.... one man's typo is another man's gold... or somethin like that...
    That's an awesome find to say the least

chryslerfan55, itsa30, Stogy and 2 others like this.