Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 3 stromberg 97s tuning

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by zurawski, Jul 18, 2016.

1. zurawski

zurawski
    from wisconsin

Well I finally got my 1951 ford flathead v8 running I have the 3 carbs with progressive linkage.... I have adjustable main jets I shut the idle screws on the secondary carbs and got her idling good I have it running ok but I would like some tips and help to get it running better and I want it to be safe to run don't want blow it up

2. oj

oj

Are you driving it? Describe how it's acting, how it drives away from stop lights, going up hills, what its' doing at different constant speeds. What your gut feel is.

3. flathead4d

flathead4d

First of all, what are the specs on your engine? Bored, stroked, cam, etc? Next, what are you calling the idle screws? Do you mean the air fuel mixture screws? Idle screws only adjust RPM and have no effect on tuning a carb. With more info we can better advise you what to do.

4. zurawski

zurawski
    from wisconsin

It seems to cruise fine at various speeds but taking off and flooring it sometimes it feels like it dogs a little bit when the other carbs are opening it I can look up more specs on what I did after work but it has 4" stroke I don't remember the bore and 3/4 race cam with good idle I don't remember what one it was exactly I can find that out later and it was the idle screws I was turning cause all I did was get it to idle without screaming or bogging out other than that I have the adjustable main jets set to the starting specs they gave me

5. uncle max

uncle max
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it stumbles when your two end carbs come to the party, try unhooking the accelerator pump links and see if that helps. If so, change the powervalves in those two carbs to number 71's.

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Loadamatic distributor? If so, ditch it.

7. More specific info about the engine really is needed, I'd be willing to bet the engine wasn't built for that much carb . Two two's is the ideal setup for a mild flathead, it is more than enough.

8. zurawski

zurawski
    from wisconsin

I know that I put the 3 for looks the secondary 2 only open about 3/4

9. Rattle rod

Rattle rod

I am still learning the ins and outs of tuning a Stromberg multi carb setup. We went all-in and started the learning on a six carb progressive setup. The first advice I can offer is to listen to what Uncle Max has to offer ( i emailed him and got a reply with sound advice quickly). Also try contacting Clive at stromberg 97 in England he is very helpful too.

on the six carb setup, it worked best when all carbs were balanced and contributing equally at idle. all mixture screws equal, and idle set on each with an edelbrock uni-syn vacuum gauge so each carb draws the same amount of air, then connect the linkages. Beyond that it is just a matter of understanding if you are dumping too much fuel at it. While waiting for smaller power valves and jets to arrive by mail, we disconnected the accelerator pump rods on the outer carbs, and immediately saw improvement on hard acceleration. ( still haven't installed the power valves)

I can't say for sure if this plays out the same on your flathead as on my SBC. I can say that learning how to rebuild, tune, and stop the leaks on these carbs has kept me busy and provides for lots of conversation at car shows.

Good luck

10. carbking

carbking

If one is using a SINGLE carb on an engine, adjustable main metering jets are the cat's meow!

On a multiple carburetor set-up (UNLESS YOU HAVE A WIDE BAND AND A DYNO) they are an absolute pain in the (pick some part of your anatomy, and insert here)!

I would suggest fixed main jets on the secondary carbs. Kind of a toss-up on the primary.

Good luck

Jon.