Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical restored 46 coupe,Flathead or 283?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodyankee, Jul 17, 2016.

1. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

I have a fully restored 46 ford coupe, that I always wanted. Being an old hot rodder, I always wanted that car with a dressed up flatty or a traditional 283 in it with the original drive train, and lower the car a bit. My plans for this car is to drive it a lot, some longer runs than others. Just want to make this car dependable. Been building cars for 45 years, so the work is no problem. Have a hard time deciding which way to go. Whats your thoughts? Thanks, Mike.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Over the years I've had several flatheads and have never been satisfied with the performance. An SBC is a no brainer.

Gary

3. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

My first car was a 48 Ford with a flathead. Never could get it to run good. I would say SBC

okiedokie and hotrodyankee like this.
  4. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

SBC is less expensive. Find Hurst mount set up, adapter for crash box. Easy stuff to locate. Will need electric pump so you won't have to modify front crossmember. Mild 50'S 283 Power Pac engine. Left hand header can be a problem with steering box. Drive it easy or you'll break the trans or an axle.
    Having said that, I am a die hard flatmotor fan. Trouble is they are expensive to build correctly and just the multiple carb set up and aluminum heads will be north of a grand.

gary macdonald and hotrodyankee like this.

5. 46deluxe

46deluxe
    from australia

What's wrong with a ford in a ford ?
    My 47 coupe had a nicely dressed flathead in it when I bought it .
    But to make it more reliable for the longer journeys I fitted a 302 and a c4 auto .
    Now it's a great car .

RustyDogg, Spooky and hotrodyankee like this.
  6. Hombre

Hombre

I also am one of the old guys, I have had over the years 11 different cars with Flatheads. My first car a 40 Ford had a flathead and over the years that I owned that old 40 I put probably 125,000 miles on it, and I just love these old motors. But back in those days when I was young and restless times and the conditions were different. There was no interstate system and you just cruised on the back roads. Those times were just made for the Flathead. Today we live in a much different world, and you would, sadly, be much better served with that 283 you always wanted.

7. i would vote for the 283 , but if your restored `46 has a rebuilt flathead that is in good shape and is a solid runner i'd think again about pulling it out. a set of headers , finned aluminum heads and a 2 by 2 intake/carbs would be easy to do and not that muck $$$

Barn Find and OLSKOOL32 like this.
  8. deucemac

deucemac

I have 3 flatheads in my garage, just finished a 276 c.i. 599 030 for friend's '34 roadster and ginger ready to build an 8 a for another Model A coupe another friend has. In 50 + years I have built and driven too many flatheads to keep track of. The being said, reality sets in and one must realize that you will never spend more money to get 180hp than doing a flathead. I also have a virgin '63 283,nice 305 heads, Hurst mount, and an old Offy adapter to use when I find a nice '46-'48 coupe to use as a daily driver. I you are going to the expense of a flathead, don't hide it inside fenders and a hood! As obsolete as they are (and I speak that with love and an undying devotion to flatheads ), there is Nothing prettier than a full dressed flathead. Period ! Do the 283 and save the flathead to show off .

Hombre and hotrodyankee like this.
  9. c2355

c2355
    from Ardmore

Another vote for the 283. I've got a 48 coupe with a 283 and love it. Has a 350 trans with an 8 inch rear with a 290 gear. So your application is a little different. I love mine though. It's very dependable for long cruises. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1468796160.976138.jpg

Kelly Burns and hotrodyankee like this.
  10. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Thanks to all that are responding, this helps a lot. I have a flat to small block adaptor and a hurst mount that I had for years. The flathead in the car is a complete "rebuilt unit from ford". The guy I bought this car from, did a frame off restoration in "85" and he purchased the engine from a old ford dealer who had this engine in a crate that was rebuilt by ford. As of now, the engine has about 100 miles on it. As I was growing up in the late 50's ,60's that's what was done with these cars, they put a 283 or a 327 in them, very common thing to do.

gary macdonald likes this.
  11. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

2 out of every three cars have a small block chev. They are a good functional motor but are definitely uncool due to the fact they are incredibly common. Same as 302 and c4 auto. Functional but uncool. In a car show you wouldn't even open the bonnet. There would be nothing of interest to show. The flathead would be way cool. With an o/d on the gearbox it would cruise on the high way just nice. If you want to go modern overhead valve maybe a Y-block, olds or nailhead would be very cool, drive nice and have a reson to open the bonnet at a show.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  12. belair

belair

13. Take out the flatty and drop in a 283 and you've got yourself a hotrod. Then, buy a restored Model A, pull out the banger and drop in the flathead. Now you've got two hot rods!! See how that could work? :)

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Olds rocket or Caddy.

40FORDPU, 29AVEE8 and hotrodyankee like this.
  15. The flathead in my avatar photo is stone cold reliable, not counting the one time the terminal came off of the ballast resistor, it has never left me stranded. It's been driven from SF to LA without a hiccup. I don't understand how an engine with less moving parts gets labeled as unreliable so often, on the daily I see nothing but threads about SBC's running hot, running like shit or not at all. If you can't get a Ford V8 to run right and reliably I suppose taking the easy way out is an option.

hotrodyankee and 504640 like this.
  16. Gman0046

Gman0046

SBC's running hot? Sounds like another urban myth.

theHIGHLANDER and hotrodyankee like this.
  17. Charlie Jones

Charlie Jones
    from Apopka FL.

A seriously "built" flathead will produce about as much horsepower as a stock 283 .

18. lc1963

lc1963
    from iowa

Building one now
    Small block chevy and 200r
    I plan to travel in it
    Flathead parts at oreily or autozone probably impossible
    Small block chevy most everything
    Love flatties

Sent from my SCH-R970 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm a Chevrolet guy, make NO mistake about that, but IF it has a "new" flathead in it to start with, I'd stick with that. Just make it as dependable as you can, and don't get carried away with hopping it up too much. Now, if you decide you just have to go with the 283, be prepared for it to cost more than a 305/350; a bunch more. The 283 just is't popular the way it once was, and parts cost reflect that. E-Bay is your friend for things like pistons, rings, bearings, and things you'll need to make it "look the part" for an old school build. Post your build as you go along!
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

RustyDogg, hotrodyankee and Barn Find like this.
  20. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

283/327 turbo 350 I am sure you can modify the 46 shifter linkage for a stock look, put a single exhaust on it and it will provide reliable performance and you can drive it anywhere IF you want down the road you can add air and Air is easy to adapt to the SBC PLUS the cost to boost HP is a lot cheaper than a Flathead

hotrodyankee likes this.
  21. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I put 283 into a 48 Merc and with an Offenhauser adapter kit it practically bolted in. I spaced a Hurst mount out an inch, clearanced it and was able to run a stock mechanical fuel pump and the stock flathead frame holes. A tri five Chevy radiator fits real nice, used 57-67 rams horn exhaust manifolds and a flat cap Mallory distributor.

This shit is so easy anyone could do it.

22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

WTF is this Street Rodder?
    Flathead man!
    46 Ford Coupe you always wanted? The flathead makes the car.
    283 OK but there will always be some regret when you open the hood. You can kid yourself and say I'm wrong.

HSF and hotrodyankee like this.
  23. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

SBC is the way to go for a driver. I would rather do a 327 than 283, and who cares if you open the hood at a show. You could spend 4 times the money to build a flatty, but the only advantage is impressing people you don't know at the occasional show. Cars look better at shows with everything closed anyways. If it was an open sided fender less 30s car, the flat head is part of the look. Sell the flat head and drive the wheels off of your car.

24. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

There are street rods, and there are hot rods.
    Street rods have a Chevy up front and a can of wax in the back.
    Hot rods have a flathead up front and tools in the back.
    Fred Offenhauser

hotrodyankee likes this.
  25. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

You've waited all these years to get the car. Your plan is to drive it a lot. Sounds like you should run the motor that is already in there.

hotrodyankee likes this.
  26. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

I vote 283 best thing I ever did to my old tub ,just take it easy on 1st and 2nd gear get the trans into top gear asap

hotrodyankee likes this.
  27. 2935ford

2935ford

You know this will go one for many, many posts.....Flathead - SBC.

I have both. '55 265 in my '32 pickup and a 276 flatty in my '29 roadster so I feel I have the best of both worlds.
    Seems though the one I go to to roam around in is the pickup.......why, I really can't answer that.
    I like them both but I just seem to gravitate to that pickup.
    Maybe after a good, long tour with the roadster, like I have done with the pickup.....that may change.
    Either way, they are both good motors and traditional as you can get! :)

hotrodyankee likes this.
  28. slowmotion

slowmotion

What they said.

RustyDogg likes this.