Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

VIDEO A MUST!!

els and volvobrynk like this.
  2. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

What time are you going to try starting it? If after 6 pm tonight I will bring some tasty shine. Got it from a guy that knows a guy, and its darn good.
    Tony

els, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  3. Nice to have met you today Brian, hope the nitro fire-up goes smoothly. Also get some sleep dude ! :D

els and racer-x like this.
  4. I plan on starting it as soon as roger shows up. We cranked it for oil pressure. Retorqued the heads and ran the lash. I put in the pill for 50 percent. If all goes well i will service the engine then start it when the sun goes down. It might make some flames. Thanks go out to all the hambers out there that stopped by to say hi.

els, volvobrynk, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  5. The start up went ok. There are always some things that will need to be addressed. The fuel pump was turning the wrong direction. The dual drive spins the mag backward like a late model. A few bolts and a 180 on the front pump cover and we had fuel pressure. So it was now able to run on nitro without bottle. It was first very lean we were making adjustments that were not delivering results. We moved the barrel valve some more and it was crazy rich. That means it can only be one thing. The barrel valve is 180 out. We flipped it over now it is within a flat or two of being perfect. Roger lechtenberg and his friend dave drove in from iowa to help out. Roger was servicing the four engine national champion tractor puller the night before. Im sure he was tired so the fact he made the drive out was much appreciated. He came just to help me so when the car was all set he was out of there. All in all it was great. No freaky junk happened. We serviced the engine so its ready for a night time start up. We will see if it gets some flames. 20160716_135803.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    kiwijeff, els, verno30 and 13 others like this.
  6. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Sounds like loads of fun to come.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

els likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

great to see a plan come together!

8. Champscotty58

Champscotty58

My wife and I had the pleasure of meeting Brian at Meltdown this weekend. We got to hang out and talk all about his beautiful new creation. I can't describe how badass this car is in person. We caught up with Brian about noon on Friday and he was literally still assembling/prepping the hemi. Met up with him again this morning to catch the first fire ups. It's so NASTY! Can't wait to see it run. After we got to hang out and watch an excellent night of racing. Well, enough about all that.... here's what everyone wants to see!!

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    els, JUNK ROD, The 39 guy and 11 others like this.
  9. I was so busy getting tjhe car ready i didnt have time to post any pics of the progress. Jim made a cool moon tank mount. The tank has to have a rollbar around it. The mount slides into the frame. Two small bolts hold it in. Servicing or removing the engine will be alot easier. The radiator mounts use a rubber spacer between it and roll bar. The engine pics show just how busy the front end became. The headlights still need to go on. We held up the grille shell to the car. Im not sure i like it. I think i like the total buisiness look without it. For all of the cassandra fans out there here are a few. 20160716_190823.jpg 20160716_190806.jpg 20160714_181816.jpg 20160714_165537.jpg 20160716_175400.jpg 20160716_175354.jpg

els, mad mikey, kidcampbell71 and 2 others like this.
  10. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

I was there Saturday, while you were busy reassembling and getting ready. Got a few pics and some video of the fire up.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1468762621.010601.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1468762638.653629.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1468762657.224332.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1468762676.809575.jpg

els, racer-x, Just Gary and 5 others like this.
  11. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi racerx.Looking good.Sounding good.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

12. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

I'm digging' the way you mounted the tank, it looks "right" there.

els, Model A Vette and racer-x like this.
  13. I was very concerned about the tank placement. After stretching the wheelbase for stability i was stressing about the look if the tank would be out too far or too high or just look out of place. Due to the pump needing to be gravity fed the outlet of the tank needs to be above the inlet on the pump. I also need to be able to get at the mag for timing and to be able to slide it forward to disconnect it for street driving. I think jim did a outstanding job designing a mount for it. For all the hambers that stopped by thanks. I wish i had more time to hang out and talk with all of you. I was very focussed on the car and had alot to do. I hope i wasnt short with anyone. It was cool to meet alot of the guys following the build. And gals. The car came out in hot rod deluxe friday. If i only had a dollar for every time i heard i liked the orange paint but i like the green more i could retire.

els, bobwop, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  14. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

The way the tank is mounted in the front puts me in mind of the Pure Hell car. It is really cool.

els, loudbang and racer-x like this.
  15. Brian. The car is the most outstanding machine I have ever seen. I have been watching the fire up video that is posted over and over. Congrats my friend , WELL DONE!

els, loudbang, racer-x and 1 other person like this.
  16. Thanks mike. Its been a long week. We reached another milestone. More to come stay tuned in.

els, mad mikey, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  17. jerry

jerry

FANTASTIC!

jerry

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Glad to see continued progress.

Of course the most important is that you are a dedicated racer. Not a poser.

keep up the great work.

19. thanks bob. too bad we didn't run into each other over the weekend.

els likes this.
  20. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Congratulations on reaching another mile stone! The engine sounds great in the video!

21. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I was at Bunker Hill racing Nostalgia Pro Stock

els and Champscotty58 like this.
  22. i got the car back safe to the chassis shop today. i told jim i need more capacity in the tank. that is one thirsty car. the tank still had some fuel in it from the weekend and i didn't want it to go to waste. so i fired up the car for jim and his two sons. there were smiles every where.

els, loudbang, Sinister and 4 others like this.
  23. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Brian it was nice to meet you again lol car looks and sounds great you gonna sweep the track with some "gold dust" and do some Bitchin Fire burnouts with that thing lmao hope you get to make hamb drags I can't wait to see it run after I heard that thing run I think my digger needs a dose of nitro lol

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

els, racer-x, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  24. Just seeing you pull into the pit entrance with the coupe back in one piece was one of the highlights of my day. I'm in total awe of how far you have come with the coupe so fast. I hope someone gets your first pass on video so we can all see it.

els, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  25. the hamb drags are high on the list of things to do this year. while it was fun to get the car out there is still a lot of work to do. there were so many details that needed to be taken care of just to start the engine. now we know that the engine will run we can work on finishing the car. I cant wait to take it for a ride.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    els, bobwop, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  26. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I'm so impressed by this car, and the brain power invested in the whole dual fuel concept. Looking forward to hearing if the first ride is anything at all like it used to be.

27. jimdillon

jimdillon

Brian I have watched your build from the start and the execution of your plan was superb. Saw it at the Meltdown and heard it run-great stuff. We spoke for a moment on Saturday. Hope to see it run on August 19 (I believe) at the M1 Concourse in Pontiac. The competition may have their hands full.

28. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Very excited to see it at the hamb drags! Think you'll get enough miles to run for the cup or just trying to make it to the event all in one piece?

els and loudbang like this.
  29. Stuwillys

Stuwillys

Great meeting you Brian. The car is Bad Ass!

30. i would go for the cup. it would be a good test before drag week. we still have a long way to go but we are gaining on it.

els, Tim, loudbang and 2 others like this.