Register now to get rid of these ads!

Willys Aero, who has one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PhilJohnson, Dec 20, 2009.

1. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

I copied a "How-to-do-it" from the November 1956 Hot Rod magazine. They show step by step of getting the Chevy mounted.

You can use the original crossmember but need to upgrade to bigger mounts, and use front mounted motor mounts, they line up perfect and give clearance to the stock radiator.

The biggest hurdle is the steering arm, you need to do a 4 in drop and gusset it.

The firewall was very minimal when it came too cutting and I had to make a new trans tunnel.

falcongeorge and Bigcheese327 like this.
  2. aerorocket

aerorocket
    from N.E. P.A.

Very nice car. I had that article from Hot Rod when I started on mine. Plans were to put in a 327 365 that I had stored in the garage. My son talked me into the Olds because that's what his grandpa had when he was alive.
    Anyway what trans., rear, etc. are you running? Did you beef up the unibody? The build in Hotrod even used the stock column shifter. More pictures and details of your car would be appreciated. thanks

1929rats likes this.
  3. I've seen this car is person many time in person. It is a great car. Honestly wish I had bought it after Carl passed but didn't think I would be able to afford it so I didn't even ask.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

How about an underhood shot?

5. irisrust65

irisrust65
    from OK

Old Projects Never Die, They just get moved around.

Picked this one up two weeks ago. Doors, bumpers and lots of other parts were with it. Working on cleaning out the shop to make room for it.

Had the wheels sitting in the shop.

If time permits one of my nailheads and th400 is the plan.

Attached Files:

falcongeorge and 1929rats like this.
  6. D_Lazaris

D_Lazaris
    from So. Cal

Didn't beef up the unibody yet. Wanted to see how the car did on the road with the stock suspension first. It's handles okay... but every once in a while it floats, but I'm sure its because the front suspension is worn out.

Im trying to figure out the best route with the suspensions and brakes for the front. Not sure if I can work the stock suspension to my liking or attempt a whole new setup. Plus I'd like to get bigger brakes (maybe even disc) in the future, and lower the car a little.

What did you end up doing with yours? I'm sure that olds weighs down the front end, we are building a blown 394 for a front engine dragster and that engine sure is a brute.

Rear end is stock, but I'm looking at swapping that out too. It's been working fine (low geared still) but again, want bigger brakes.

Using a Th350 trans, and made a new crossmember with brackets welded to the subframe.... not problems so far.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Here's under the hood, (before we painted the rest of the Ace)

IMG_3511.JPG

Attached Files:

Bigcheese327 and falcongeorge like this.
  7. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

8. earlymopar

earlymopar

9. TopJalop

TopJalop

What are you asking?

10. James Sessions

James Sessions

Here is one I picked up 2 days ago I will post the progress as it happens

Attached Files:

AccurateMike and Maverick Daddy like this.
  11. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Love it! If you start a build thread, please share the thread link here.

12. Good friend? Maybe in your mind Tony but carl was an asshole that cared about nobody but his own self. You saw how he ran his only son off the place to take over the new shop. He took credit for every car in those buildings and never built one of them. He even took credit for my Touring when it was done since I started it in Karl Jrs shop. But, back to the Aero, Drag City built 2, there is a Blue one that hits the streets here once in a while that was a twin. The falcon ranchero resides at Ft Hayes. Lots of more info that could drag folk through the mud but I will stop now..................

13. 6inarow

6inarow

good. stop

14. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

When you gonna post those progress pics? or do I need to drive over there?

15. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Progress????

16. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Just so y'all know, he finished it, except for the tires. I kinda dig it. 14691056_1309171549094494_8959451985534030873_n.jpg 14717231_1309171589094490_3875086046843667326_n.jpg

17. What year is this? Chrome headlight bezels and a little more taillight below would make me think last years, like '55?
    Have I missed any two-door hardtops without the B post? Here's our family version from the early '60s. Sorry about the backlighting. I was 12, using a Brownie.

Dads Pics 068.JPG

18. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

Looks like 54.
    55 had a lot of changes from 52-4.
    The little "extra" tail light below was 54 only.
    55 had a whole different tail light.
    It had a "jet exhaust" coming out of a huge chrome bezel.
    Still had a similar lense but bigger.

19. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

IMG_3875.JPG Here's a 55 tail light.

20. jefscoupe

jefscoupe

IMG_3858.JPG here are my pair of '52 Wings.

21. washingtonalencar

washingtonalencar
    from Brazil

Howdy!

Here's my 62 aero from Brazil.

Attached Files:

Peanut 1959 likes this.
  22. WoolyMammoth

WoolyMammoth

Picked up a '54 Aero Lark about 2 months ago. Decided to make it into my dream rod. After having to sell my last 2 cars, this one will never go anywhere. Found it in a field in Loveland Colorado.

I'm in the process of mounting a 67 Camaro disc subframe, 4-link rear and 406 small block chevy with a 200-4R overdrive trans, 4:11 gears. Doing a lot of custom work to it. Already caught a lot of slack about cutting up a rare car, but at least the parts I take off are going to good homes. I could care less what others think at this point. I just care about making the car I always wanted. Here's a shot of it on the trailer on the way home and a terribly photo-shopped pic of what it will look like. Will post pics as it comes together. I've been collecting parts for the past couple months.

Attached Files:

23. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

Since your car won't be HAMB-friendly, will you be posting a build thread on another site? If so, please provide a link so I can follow along. Thanks!

24. WoolyMammoth

WoolyMammoth

Yeah, I will be. Still haven't found a forum to call home. Not many places where anyone even remembers the Aeros. The only couple dedicated to them are all about original restorations and seem to scoff at rodded ones. When I built my Nova and C10, there were dedicated forums and easy to feel at home no matter what you did. Just happened upon this forum post while looking for other rodded Willys.

25. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

There are a bunch of "odd rod" projects over at protouring.com. One example is a Viper V10-powered '54 Plymouth Savoy!

Now, back to your regularly-scheduled programming...!

26. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

Can anyone with an early Willys Aero tell me the diameter of the gauge, please? I suspect it's close to 5", but I am trying to determine if two 2-1/16" diameter gauges would fit inside the raised T-shaped area, two to either side of the main gauge.

52WillysAeroDash.jpg