Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Holley electric Red pump question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Cubzy, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Cubzy

Cubzy
    from Canada

Hi. I'm installing a 650 AVS Edelbrock carb to a Holley red electric fuel pump. The Holley pump is factory set to not exceed 7psig. I've heard that they typically only run 4-5 psig with out a regulator. Can anyone comment that has currently or had a red pump without regulator. I want to know whether I need to install a regulator with the new Edelbrock. The edelbrocks are good for 4 to 5.5psig without problems. Any higher may lead to passing needles from what I read. Thanks in advance.

2. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Why look for trouble? Put a regulator on it and be safe.
    The Edelbrock carbs are definitely sensitive to fuel pressure.
    KK

Hollywood-East likes this.
  3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run a Holley Red pump on my 56 New Yorker with an Edelbrock 1405 and don't use a regulator. No issues at all with it. I also used it with the original Carter on the old hemi and had no problems, Never put a gauge on it, so I don't know how much pressure it generates.

loudbang likes this.
  4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Cheap insurance to stem off any "possible" problems, add a regulator and gauge.

Mike

sjm1340 likes this.

5. Cubzy

Cubzy
    from Canada

The 30 Model A has stainless steel 3/8 tube front to back so its no easy task to add regulator. I would only do it if absolutely necessary.

loudbang likes this.
  6. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

I ran two Carter's on a blown SBC with stock mechanical pump an Still had to regulate them to 4.5 psi... Before they would stop seeping.. Cheap insurance, when hot is when your more likely to notice it.

7. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I have 2 rods with holly red electric fuel pumps .Thy are so loud , even over loud mufflers you can hear them buzzing away. don't like them.I am not impressed.

8. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Red pump mounted in back on frame. Not too loud. Also running Edelbrock 1406 with no regulator and no problems.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Cubzy

Cubzy
    from Canada

Good to know. Any idea what pres. these things put out?

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I've never run one with a regulator, but I definitely always put a good electric pump rated filter BEFORE the pump. Holley pumps do not like a spec of dirt. Now I run Carter electric pumps, much quieter and more dependable.

Don

loudbang likes this.
  11. I ran a red Holley pump and don't remember the psi to go near 7psi, I wouldn't worry about it!

12. Cubzy

Cubzy
    from Canada

Thanks Don. I have a Delco filter upstream of the red holley pump. Is this a good filter. The pump tends to make a lot of different noise pitches. Not sure if filter is the cause of it or how restricted it may be? Any input?

13. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have the same bitch as LOW LID DUDE. I ran one on a stock Vortek 350 with an Edelbrock 1406. It lasted 22,000 miles, was loud as Hell till the end. People even ask me if I had a gear drive in the engine. It crapped out just days before I was to leave for El Mirage, so I replaced it with another one but mounted it with heavy grommets between the frame and bracket in order to use the existing S.S. fuel lines. It is still loud, but the metallic sound is gone. After the trip, I plan to replace it with an inline, American-made pump. No more Holley anything.

14. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, Don. I enjoy your posts because they are very informative and to the point. I run the red one with an Edelbrock 1406 and a Holley ? cartridge fuel filter just ahead of the tank. The noise was irritating until I mounted the new one with rubber grommets. Since I don't run a regulator, what trouble should I look for ? Gary Addcox

15. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

I have a red Holley fuel pump on my 40 with a 600 carb with no regulator I have had no problems.Yes they are very Winny......

16. oj

oj

I just tried a red pump on my carb. wet flow bench, it puts out just under 6psi and will overcome edelbrock needle & seats.
    I bet the reason you are getting differng responses to the same pump has a lot to do with how the pump is mounted in relation to the tank, the line size (5/16ths vs 3/8ths); line routing (tight bends or not; 90deg elbows etc) and how the electric is supplied (thru dedicated switch or relay with 12ga wire or snagged on to the ignition sw and 16ga).
    In my wet flow bench the pump is under the tank, the hose up to the carb and gages is 3/8ths and maybe 3' and the voltage source is right beside the pump. The wet flow bench is a converted parts washer, very compact so the pump is working without restriction and supplying all thats possible. Not enough in my case and is installed temporary while the big holley gear driven pump is being rebuilt.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yeah, they are noisy son of a guns for sure ! Some are more noisy than others of the same exact model for some reason. I had on on my Jeep pickup and when people would ride with me they asked why I had an air compressor running .

We've only recently begun using any regulators at all on our cars, and I think we did that just to do something new. I still don't have one on my 27, but I have switched to the Carter ( 9000 model, I think) pump and I like it so much better than the Holley, very quiet and smooth.

I do miss the loud noise of the Holley for one reason. I used to turn my key on and listen for the pump, wait a few seconds, then crank the motor. Now, I can't even hear the Carter pump, and it is mounted right behind me in the roadster.

Don

18. indyjps

indyjps

Ran holley red and blue pumps for a while, always with a holley so can't help with your original question.

My advice is to keep an extra red pump in your trunk with tools to swap it out. I finally gave up on them and went back to a mech pump. GM marine over the counter mech pump, ran low 12's with it 3600 lb car - got the job done. If you don't have space for mech pump, investigate other electronic pump options, or keep a spare with you.

19. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I run a Carter P6054 Electric Pump on my 455 Olds with two Carter 500's and have no problems. The pump is very quiet and so far going on three years and over 12,000 miles no problems. Have no pressure regulator or gauge. Joe shopping.jpg

20. Yea but did you need a regulator. :D

@Cubzy

I run Holley pumps when I can't afford Mallory pumps. I can't tell you how much your pump is going to put out. I do know that when Holley says no regulator needed they are thinking of a Holley carb not someone else's carb. They are a positive pump and I would not run even the red pump without a regulator if I was running anything but a Holley Carb.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I have a blue with a reg on my car, once the motor starts I cant hear the pump. I have run either blues or a mechanical pump on every car I have ever owned, I find if they are treated right they are pretty reliable.
    One blue with a 3/8 line, two with 1/2". Its always worked for me.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  22. Cubzy

Cubzy
    from Canada

Holley red pump putting out 8psig upon initial engine start then after a couple minutes of running pres. gage upstream of carb drops down to about 4-5psig. Doesn't look like I need to regulate edelebrock.

23. vert1940

vert1940

been running a red pump for years with an edelbrock carb...no problems until a year ago and the gas finally pushed past the needle...it took a while,though... am running a regulator now...also if you put seafoam in your gas....tune up in a can we call it....it quiets the pump till the seafoam runs through it

24. I like the Carter P4070, self-pressure regulating for carbs and has internal bypass so it does not burn up when stuck idling in traffic. It's a vane style pump. Does not answer OP's question, but is a good alternative to the Holley red pump.

25. donno

donno

Edelbrock 1406, Edelbrock filter, Holly red pump on a ZZ4 crate motor. 40,000 miles plus. No regulator, no problem.

26. I've got a Holley Red almost new ( maybe an hour of run time on it. Hated it, it was so noisy it drove me to change out the gas tank for a new one from Yogi's with an in tank pump. If anyone wants the Holley Red I'll send it to you. PM me.

27. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

You can take the spring out and grind off a little and it will bypass at a lower psi. If you go too far you can shim it up and then have too much , in my opinion the only difference in the Red and Blue pump is the spring ,OHH and the color.