Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking at Southenrods mini a/c unit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Joe H, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Joe H

Joe H

2. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I had Southern Air in a previous car, in my opinion see what Vintage Air has that fits your needs. Got VA in current two and they are superb.

3. WobbleShaft

WobbleShaft

I agree, look else where before buying. I've had issues with mine which is the next size up. Fan vibrates, thermostatic switch went bad after 2000miles, heater valve never has completely closed, and a pump pulsation that has never gone away no matter how much or little freon or oil it is charged with. With little/no, tech support.

dan griffin likes this.
  4. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

Did not have a good experience with Southern "China Knock Off" Air.
    Good luck with Vintage Air products, both super cooler in my 40 coupe and Mini Compact in my 32's and still retain cowl vent. In process of putting a Mini Compact in a 40 Ford pickup and it will fit and still retain the cowl vent. Have I have no experience with a new company Restomod Air that was a sponsor on the Hot Rod Power Tour but they have some smaller units also.

5. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

I have installed the classic auto air unit in a 58. I am very impressed by their company. Not so much with vintage air. If they don't have it online for your vehicle they will tell you to go to their website and figure it out. was very disappointed.

6. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I just put one of those in my 66 f100 . It works but the fan is loud especially on high and it leaks out of the sides of the case instead of out the drain. I'm on vacation so I haven't been in there to figure out why. I'm thinking the little nipple for the drain tube is blocked. I'm not pleased about that but I needed the small size because I have the four speed and couldn't fit the cool old underdash unit I had saved for it. If I can make it drain right I'll be happy for a working truck. If not, they'll be hearing from me. It was a third of the price on anything that would fit in my application.

7. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Cheap aint good and good aint cheap.....Go with VA

8. 29moonshine

29moonshine

9. skipperman

skipperman

X3 ............

10. I know Vintage has a great reputation and make great products , but check this company . They are local to me , made in Charlotte NC.
    I've looked at their small unit for my A coupe project..http://www.queencitycomponents.com/

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

Southern Air sells Chinese A/C knock offs. They are NOT a manufacturer of anything they only sell parts others have manufactured. Their funky on/off switch indicates the quality of the rest of the unit. Theres nothing truer then "you get what you pay for". Vintage Air has been manufacturing made in USA products for over three decades with outstanding customer service. They make a great under dash hang on unit.

Gary

Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
    hotrodharry2 likes this.
  12. dan griffin

dan griffin

I have a Southenrods heat-air unit in my 55 wagon. I put in a big boxed in condenser with a fan shroud and 7 blade fan and a GM compressor. I have 32 degree air at idle so cold temp. is not a problem. The compressor shakes and pulsates at low rpm. I have tried every thing including a new compressor and a large muffler. I am thinking it may be the expansion valve pulsating. 2016-07-14 005.JPG

13. Gman0046

Gman0046

Dan, have you called Southern Air Customer Service for advice?

Gary

14. Joe H

Joe H

Thats what I needed to know, I will look else where. To bad the size was just what I needed.

Thanks for the information.
    Joe

15. dan griffin

dan griffin

16. "Dan, have you called Southern Air Customer Service for advice?"

BAAAWAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAA!

Classic!

falconsprint63 and Merlin like this.
  17. dan griffin

dan griffin

It just hit me today the expansion might be the problem I will call next week. I will post what they tell me.

18. I have used two Southern Air unit's.

One was the previously smallest that I used in my Deuce pickup and it worked well but the blower was overly loud.

The other Southern Air unit it is the largest they offer and I used it in the Ranch Wagon,It will keep the driver and passenger comfortable on a hot day but the people in the back seat sweat like pigs,I will say the heater will run you outta the car.

My next heat & air will be Vintage Air. HRP

19. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vintage air--have installed 9 in 40 coupes with no issues and still have cowl vent as well--tucked up under the dash almost out of sight--Russco on here did the same

20. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Stay away from southern rods "southern air" it's china crap. Go with Vintage Air you'll be glad you did in the long run.

21. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi On my 46 Chevy coupe I am in the process of a complete rewiring job which has been going real slow but is quickly nearing completion & also adding aftermarket turn signals, OEM backup lights & fog lights & an old style trailer hitch for my teardrop trailer.

A couple of evenings ago instead of doing wiring I got under the dash while front seat is out & checked the mockup for my new Vintage Air compact unit with heat/cool/defrost. This is the unit that goes up behind dash, not the one that is totally hanging below dash like a flat box. With just a slight tweak of the hanging bracket nearest dash due to the very large original factory deluxe tube radio it is going to be a piece of cake. Will be able to keep cowl vent with NO modifications and will not need to cut any off of the glove compartment. I am only having to tweak 2 things on the fit in my coupe - tweak the front hanging bracket for evaporator due to huge original radio and to slightly grind or snip off a bit of the left rear edge of the left under dash air outlet housing to the left of steering column which is due to the emergency brake pull handle being there below the headlight switch. This is so the brake handle will not push against air outlet housing when handle is pulled.

I already have the compressor mounted as I did that at the same time I changed brackets when converting to alternator & 12 volts some time ago.

Also mocked up the brackets for the Condenser so when we work on it this Sunday we will get both the condenser & evaporator mounted & then finish the under hood & front lights wiring. Will not run the A/C hoses this weekend as I am waiting on a set of cowl bulkhead fittings that I just ordered to arrive. I do not want the hoses for heater & A/C to come thru the cowl together due to an original radiator overflow tank mounted on cowl to work around so I ordered separate bulkhead fittings for each. Heater hoses to the right side of the overflow tank & A/C hoses to the left of tank as my alternator & compressor are on the left side of the engine & will run A/C hoses across the cowl above rear of engine & then forward along inner fender.
    Somewhere along there I will mount the filter dryer & such. I did not like the idea of running A/C hoses along the right fender well along the heater hoses and then across the back of radiator tank so chose across the cowl instead. Practically no difference in length of the hoses either way.

I got to visit the Vintage Air plant in San Antonia about a year ago with my local dealer when he stopped by to pick up some things while in the area & those guys know what they are doing.

Spend a few dollars more & get the Vintage Air as it is the best unit out there.

Jimmie

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

Sorry guy's I just put calling Southern for technical advise as a joke.

CornfieldPerformance likes this.
  23. dan griffin

dan griffin

24. dan griffin

dan griffin

Had a nice long talk with the a/c tech at southernrods he ask me how long I pulled the vacuum I said 20 min. He told me the compressor rumble was from ice in the system and I should pull a vacuum for 1 hour.

25. WobbleShaft

WobbleShaft

My heater works excellent also. Could not get a/c cold, was feeling my lines when I realized my heater hoses were warm. I've had a hose pinch pliers clamped onto supply ever since. A/c now can hit 28 degrees. Tech at southern said that might happen since the kit came with a cheap valve. Feel your lines, or just pinch one off and see if it gets better. Since both cores are in same space, this can happen easily.

26. WobbleShaft

WobbleShaft

Yeah Dan, was told the same. First time I also vac'd it for 20min. Next I did it for an hour, Still no better. So I went to buddy that is a pro auto tech with a good a/c machine. It pulled vac down to 28inhg (better than my unit) for an hr, and it still vibrates. Was thinking bout replacing pump. But, what you said bout exp valve, maybe that might be a problem. My unit will freeze up the evaporator if I try to run it full bore. To my understanding a exp valve should never do that because its self regulating? Between it & therm switch it should never freeze.