Register now to get rid of these ads!

Banjo rear with late model axles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimmy2car, Jul 16, 2009.

1. butch27

butch27

Something to really think about. Do you put the new backing plates and weld the flange mountings included in the work?

2. butch27

butch27

Oh - also I have the old 4:11 gear. Need something in the 3 s. Send a pm or e-mail with ball park costs. Thanks

3. Bump, great thread, any more ideas?

My Banjo housing ends have minor pitting on one side and slight radial wera on the inner edge of the races on both sides.

4. searching on hot rod works site i see their conversion and i don't understand how is sicured the axle shaft.....i think with a snap ring in the shaft

5. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Wow, I like it - maybe now I'll end up using that old banjo I have packed away in the garage...

6. really a cool way to save the traditional banjo rear with ohv engines power......

7. doctorZ

doctorZ

i made my own bells for my diff. if i send you the center section, can you do the machining and minor assembly for me? i have the locker i want to use. also, do you sell the axles that fit the 1940 style MT Lincoln brakes?

8. patina steve

patina steve

Hot Rod Works has done two conversions for me, their work is impecable, I would highly recommed their parts and conversions. There are many cars at Bonneville that are running there rear ends.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep! Hot Rod Works did the conversion for me as well.

[​IMG]

Okie Pete and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. Clyde

Clyde
    from Las Vegas

If you want a locked rear end the 7.5" lockright for a Ford Ranger also can be fitted into a banjo center section with same machine work that the 7.5" spider gears are fitted. One can buy the 7.5" lockright in 28 and 31 spline, I have all the parts and have measured everthing up. Just have not ever finished the project. Hot Rod Works sells a lockright for this application, this is where I did the research to which one they where useing. I knew that they had to be useing a off the shelf part, not having one special made.

11. Clyde, can you post pictures of the parts you have gathered?

12. We built this rear axle using a Winters/Spadaro quick change center and Hot Rod Works side gears, axles, and bearing blocks. It also uses Wilson Welding Lincoln backing plates and M/T Lincoln drums.

The machine work was not that difficult. But we did have to build a simple fixture to hang the axle housings off the mill table.

If you are going to farm the work out at shop rate then sending your stuff to the Hot Rod Works makes sense. They know how to do it, have the set ups, and will give you a quick turnaround.

Attached Files:

13. butch27

butch27

14. Ken Smith

Ken Smith
    Alliance Vendor

doctorz, give us a call and we can work out what you need.
    208-463-1068

15. Clyde

Clyde
    from Las Vegas

Tman,
    I have all the parts over in my second garage and will be out of town for a few days. Next week I will round things up and shot some pic's. I still need to do the write up and photo's of Darrin's car, which my dad finished here a few weeks ago.

T

16. Please do on both subjects! I saw your dad at the swapmeet but he got away before I could say hi. Was thinking of Darrin yesterday in fact. Thanks clyde.

17. oj

oj

This is worth reading again

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Subscribed! Great timing with my project too!

19. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Has anybody considered pick up 8" axles shortend and resplined to fit the original banjo gears....has that been done yet? Or is it even possible?

20. The original axles and side gears are one piece. To use any late axle you must replace the side gears.

The side gears that The Hot Rod Works sells are the most economical way to do the job. I'm told that 49-50 Mercury side gears will work if they are machined but that would cost as much, or more than gears from The Hot Rod Works.

FYI I have attached an old article describing the process.

Attached Files:

21. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Well, I wanted to share another way to join the late model 9" ends on a banjo tube. Started with a fixture for narrowing a 9" that my father made years ago. Local machine shop made a collar for the carrier bearing to center the 1.5" shaft.

Attached Files:

22. 55willys

55willys

So if you can use the lock right set up for the 7.5 rear could you also use the side and spider gears from one of those for an open diff?

23. limp

limp

Bump... Hoping for some more info that anyone might have regarding use of ranger parts in banjo rebuild...thanks

24. big shitt

big shitt

Bump!

Hot rod works, is it possible to use finned buick drums and wilson/mt plates with your axle convertion kits?
    Thanks

25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[/QUOTE] Hot rod works, is it possible to use finned buick drums and wilson/mt plates with your axle convertion kits?
    Thanks[/QUOTE]
    Since it's a real old (but great) thread I'd contact them direct. http://www.hotrodworks.com/ That might save you waiting for him to see the thread and the question.

26. big shitt

big shitt

Mr48chev

Email sent! Will post reply here if someone else is wondering the same
    Thanks

Edit! You need to use the bearingends with partnumber 1060 to run lincoln style plates with buick drums

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
  27. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I did this change a few years ago, using a 1936 Ford rear end:
    I bought a junk 9" rear, then cut the housing ends off, keeping
    the brakes, drums, etc.
    I then took the bells to my local machine shop and had them remove
    the original ends and weld on the new 9" bearing ends. Came out great.
    Next, I had the machine shop do the machining of the carrier using the
    drawing shown in an old article. I also had to replace the spider gears
    with 11 tooth gears to replace the 12 tooth originals. (( I think this is only
    necessary for the earlier (36 & down)).
    Then I ordered new axles from Dutchman.
    This modification gave me the 5 x 5.5 bolt circle, removable axles and
    self adjusting 11 x 2.25 brakes.
    It's worked great for the last 8K miles

28. flatmotor40

flatmotor40
    from georgia

Hot Rod Works did my banjo years ago on my 40