Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Which rear spring mounts?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by captain j, Jul 14, 2016.

1. captain j

captain j

image.jpeg Im looking to put a 48 ford banjo rear inder a model a frame. I see two different types of rear spring mounts. Both get welded to the rear but get welded in different directions. One goes part way around the axle and one goes along the top. Which one do you guys think is better and would hold up under the load. Its also going to have an open drive shaft with panhard bar and split wishbones.

2. Check the ones House of Fab makes.

3. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I second Texas Webb. Search house of fab in the classifieds. I have no personal experience with there products but I will be putting a 40 banjo under my A this winter and I will be ordering his brackets. They even have them with the lever shock mount built in now.

4. captain j

captain j

I think those only go on rears up to 1940 or 42. ? There the ones that bolt through the axle ends correct? The 48 rear is wider and they dont fit or something like that.

5. in your first post the ones on top can be mounted closer to the backing plate, the others may not be able to spread the spring out far enough.
    when I did my A , I made my own.

6. If you use the stock Model A spring location the first ones are the ones you want, the second set offspring hangers move the spring behind the axle. in order to use the spring behind setup you will have to move the cross member back behind the axle.

my personal preference for rear springs is behind the axle. less spring required to control the axle, and less bouncy ride. But if you have a stock chassis it is easier to mount the spring on top.

7. geoford41

geoford41
    from Delaware

I started a build on an '30 coupe with a 5" frame extension on the boxed stock A frame. This allowed me to use a posie rear 32-48 spring mount with the swivel type mount for the shackles to be able to adjust the drive shaft angle on the rear with home made hair pins that were angled to the centerline of the car frameand a 1 1/2" square tube cross mount. This was of course on a 9" Bronco rear open drive line . If I had to do it again I thnk I would have flipped it over and shorten the frame with spring in front of the axle centerline like a lot of the real early guys did to get the car lower. My coupe was going to being channeled 2 1/2" so floor was going to be fabricated anyway. I used a Speedway Medium arch A spring, the reversed eye stock A spring was too long with the 9" Bronco rear, it put the backing plates & hanger too close so I used a shorter spring. Unfortunatly it moved on down the road to another builder in Jersey when we moved to an age restricted community in DE. the mounts shown above tend to Jack the rear up too much, unless you "Z" the frame 4"-6"

Attached Files: