Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 3x2 intake score(?) on craigslist with Almquist adapters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pattatat, Jul 12, 2016.

1. pattatat

pattatat
    from Denton TX

I'm starting to gather parts for a future 49-52 chevy build and found this on Craigslist for what I thought was a good price so I grabbed it. The guy said it came off an SS Impala, didn't have a lot of info other than it was functioning when removed a year ago. Thankfully I got it before proceeded with his plans to paint the entire setup red.
    I now know the intake is a C355 which is apparently only for 55-57 265s. Kinda doubt it was on that Impala then. I was hoping to put this on a 283 or 327 so I may have to swap for a C357. It has Almquist carb adapters on it that I cannot seem to find any information on anywhere. They look cool though. Any info on them?
    Only one carb had numbers that would tell me anything - that it was built in the 70s for a chevy/gm.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. No help,but nice set-up.

3. shop teacher

shop teacher

I found one on Craigs List: "Jeep Carbs and Manifold". It was pictured as a pile of parts on a cart ,but I recognized it as SBC manifold and Rochester carbs.The Jeep had a 350 Chevy in it! $65
    I am in the process of rebuilding everything and could use info on the end carb throttle body modifications. I know about the Speedway kit= looking for a cheaper alternative.

4. carbking

carbking

When small two-barrel carbs were introduced in the early 1930's, many had a 3 mounting bolt design. By 1940, the better carbs were using a 4 bolt design. The larger 2 barrels used a couple of different 4 bolt designs, and some of the largest early 2 barrels used a 6 bolt design.

Most early aftermarket manifolds were drilled for the 3 bolt design, due to the popularity of the Stromberg Ford EE-1 carbs (a.k.a. 97's).

As many enthusiasts wanted to use better carbs than the Stromberg EE-1's or the Holley 94's (also 3 bolt), Almquist, as well as others, sold a 3 bolt to 4 bolt adapter. Now, many enthusiasts wish to use the 3 bolt for nostalgic reasons.

By the mid-late 1950's, most of the manifold manufacturers offered the same manifold drilled for either pattern at the discretion of the buyer. Later manifolds for larger engines were drilled for the larger 4 bolt pattern.

Jon.

pattatat likes this.