Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Napa filters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sunbeam, Jul 12, 2016.

1. sunbeam

sunbeam

Cut open a Napa gold 1515 and a NAPA silver21515 and what do you find 7 more pleats 13% more of paper in the gold and an antidrain back valve that is supposed to better at below freezing temps like 10 deg. A 1515 is $6.30 and the 21515 is $2.97 is a 1515 worth the difference?

2. squirrel

squirrel

Is your peace of mind worth $3?

Because that's all you're buying....

3. Much prefer the gold version. Lubrication and filtration equals longevity.

4. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

The silver filter has a combined bypass/anti-drainback valve; the gold filter has 2 separate valves, and the anti-drainback valve is made of a silicone material for better sealing and longer life. The silver filter uses cellulose fiber media, the gold filter uses fiberglass combined with the cellulose media for better filtering efficiency; and the increased surface area gives it increased capacity (gives it the ability to hold more contaminants, longer service interval, and less operation in bypass mode). The Platinum filter uses all synthetic media for increased efficiency, and better sealing ring on the base.

As a long time Chevy guy, I've always liked AC Delco filters and have used them for years.

5. cshades

cshades
    from wi

The silver one also has a 5000 mile limit on change interval. I know everyone here changes their oil more frequent than that but it tells me that filtering capacity isn't near as good as the gold.

6. squirrel

squirrel

I'm debating whether I should change the filter on my 28 chevy. My guess is that it's been on there for 75 years.

filter.jpg

oldsjoe, Baumi, hotrodharry2 and 3 others like this.
  7. 73RR

73RR

NAPA Gold filters are made by WIX

weps likes this.
  8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Entirely agree on the gold being better than the silver, but was unaware of a new "platinum" filter. Please, tell us more.
    I once wholeheartedly agreed with you about AC Delco filters being good, maybe the best. But in the past few years with all the influence that the bean counters have had @ GM, I'm not so sure of that anymore. Have read refences that they have followed the lead of other once great parts brands and are "farming out" the manufacturing to the low bidder.
    Anybody cut open an AC filter recently???

9. squirrel

squirrel

Looking at the base of an AC filter recently, they look like the house brand filters....nothing special.

Then again, maybe the filter wars have got us to the point where the worst filters are plenty good to help a modern engine last 300k miles. So, it doesn't matter what filter you use.

firstinsteele likes this.
  10. AC Delco no longer seems to manufacture oil filters. They are now made by Champion Labs using their new "Ecore" design. Champion Labs touts their new "Ecore" design as a major advancement in oil filter technology. In my humble opinion, they are a major advancement in cost savings for Champion. I have no data to back this up, but that's what fiber end caps and plastic core tubes say to me. I particularly don't like their "patent pending" bypass valve design, which depends on the stamped leaf spring at the back of the filter to regulate the bypass pressure. One unlucky dent in the back of the can knocks it out of whack, assuming it was correct to begin with.

11. VERY well said............!!!!!!!

12. Just buy WIX Period!!!!!

13. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

But has it been 3,000 miles? There may still be some life there.

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Didn't we all agree on this, in the other 50 threads about filters?

tommyd, chopper99 and traffic61 like this.
  15. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Was it only 50 threads?????

chopper99, traffic61 and tfeverfred like this.
  16. belair

belair

Can I mix Fram filters with bias plys and radials?

bengeltiger, tfeverfred and traffic61 like this.
  17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Gee.....I'm almost sure. Let's see.

"What's a traditional hot rod?" 237 threads
    "SBC casting numbers?" 129 threads
    "What PSI for an Edelbrock 1406 carb." 125 threads
    "What's the best oil filter?" 50 threads

Yup........50.:D But whose counting?

hotrodharry2, Hotrodmyk and traffic61 like this.
  18. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

This topic has a thread count almost as high as a good set of Egyptian cotton sheets..

19. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Only when using store brand oil!
    KK

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Only if the radials are on the right side. The DPS has determined that old cars turn right, 68% of the time. So, you'll need that lateral support, whipping through the turn.

21. Carquest Blue is supposed to be the same as Napa Gold, and is made by Dana (Wix) as well

22. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Oberg...SS screen..by pass valve has micro switch for light that tells you if its bypassing which is when you definatly have to take apart and clean..Instructions say to check after couple hundred miles [works great for first start new builds] as it never bypasses unless clogged except for about 3 seconds when it is started cold and if a particle can get through the screen it won't hurt a thing.....I checked and found a bunch of aluminum mud and particles from trashed roller rockers and alum retainers that I had replaced..Few thousand miles later I checked again and was pleased to see nothing more accumulated..Been waiting for the light to come on since 1989.. Oberg Oil Filter.jpg

belair likes this.
  23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've heard and read a little about the Oberg NASCAR guys supposedly like them to check an unusual increase in oil temp or pressure fluctuation, etc.
    Don't they also make one that fits inside the circle formed by the rubber gasket on a twist on filter?

belair likes this.
  24. LMAO
    Not sure if the classic replies are written while drinkin, but I am readin them while drinkin and lovin them!
    Avatar car is currently running a Napa Silver with Bias fronts and Radial rears. Not makin that up.

Montana1 likes this.
  25. Drive carefully.....:eek:

26. on my hot rods i use nothing but Wix

on my daily driver i use whatever the quick oil change place uses. at the auto parts store where i work part time we sell 12 packs of filters for $19.....about $1.50 a filter. my `95 S-10 went 292,000 miles before i sold it using these cheap filters. i see it around sometimes and it's still going strong

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'm waiting for the Boxers or Briefs thread to reappear again.

Gary

Max Gearhead and Hotrodmyk like this.
  28. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

FYI, the human eye can only see down to about 30 - 40 microns. The particles that are most common from wear, and also the most damaging to an engine, are far smaller, <10µ. You would need some kind of magnification to see these particles. If you can see particles, you've really got a problem. But cutting open filters is a common practice among the customers I work with. Every oil change the policy is to cut open the filter, pull out the media and open it up and inspect it. It gives them a heads up if something is coming apart. If they see something we can then take the pleats and wash them in a solvent and filter the solvent through a .8µ filter patch and look at them under a miscroscope to give them an idea of the type of material and the type of wear (cutting, chips, etc).

So do you run that filter in addition to the spin-on filter, or in place of it?

29. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Just the Oberg...The literature claims 3 microns...

30. I believe briefs make better filters during a prairie dog moment.