Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hot Hemi Heads Chevy Manual Adapter, who has done it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wdglide, Jul 11, 2016.

1. wdglide

wdglide

I ask because I can't seem to find an example out there -- with specifics.

I picked up a 392 with a Hot Heads chevy auto adapter. I plan to run a muncie 4 speed. I ordered their flywheel to replace the flex plate. I had just assumed it would be a chevy style flywheel, but it a 130 tooth mopar flywheel. This is my first mopar, so I'm looking for some schooling.

The adapter kit requires a Borg/beck 10.5" clutch. I'm trying to determine the proper bellhousing/clutch setup. So I was hoping to see some examples of different setups. But I can't seem to find any (or just suck at searching).

Any one of you guys been through this before?

Thanks.
    Phil

2. call hot heads and ask them

3. wdglide

wdglide

I did. They could only tell me I needed a 10.5" Borg/Beck clutch. They couldn't tell me which bell housing would work with their adapter, flywheel and starter.

I'm assuming it will be the 168 tooth sized bell housing. But I was hoping to tap someone with experience.

4. i would say a chevy. from the adaptor back its chevy. I'm surprised bob does not know this. did you talk to bob?

5. wdglide

wdglide

I would of thought so too. I think he just didn't want to spoon feed me how to do my project. I guess I understand, but I thought it was a simple question - which bellhousing?

I assumed Chevy from the adapter back, but the 130 tooth flywheel threw me for a loop. Now I realize that it's a Mopar mini starter...

So I had some doubts on the bell housing

6. i went out and looked at my pile to see which starter i have its an 80's/90's mopar. i dont remember him saying anything about a borg & beck clutch though

7. The borg and beck work the best. If you can get one with the long ford style roller levers better yet. These are by far the best clutches put there. Thats saying a lot when a mopar guy recommends a ford idea.

8. deucemac

deucemac

Hot heads doesn't make the adapters they sell, Wilcap does. I found that out when I bought my Ford standard to hemi adapter and mentioned to Patrick that I needed a timing cover. He told me he had what I needed and I told him I was surprised he made those too. He then told me that HH sold his adapters and he sold their hemi stuff. So, if you need any adapter advice, call Patrick at Wilcap. And believe me, he really knows his adapters and anything you might need to complete you conversion. I followed his instructions to the letter and all functions well almost 15k later.

9. Reds 29

Reds 29

We replaced a sbc with a 241 Dodge hemi. We kept the chevy bellhousing and transmission, with the hot heads/wilcap adapter. Everything fit together great, just had to move the trans back an inch. The adapter is designed for a mopar starter and works well. I am not that knowledgable about the bellhousings but assumed they were all the same. The 10 1/2 clutch is also common, and easy to find. I don't really have any pictures, not sure how they would help, not much to see. Let me know if I can help.

wdglide likes this.
  10. wdglide

wdglide

The extent of the info I got from Bob is:

1. Our flywheel has 130 teeth and uses a 10 1/2" Borg & Beck clutch
    2. Our adapter takes any bell housing from from a Chevy with numbers like 265 or 400.

I tried a 153 tooth bell (3849309) and an old cast iron one. Neither worked. I'm hoping a 168 tooth size will work with the mopar starter.

11. wdglide

wdglide

Was the bell a typical aluminum style? Or a steel scatter shield type?

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I use a 10.5 Chevy Bell on both my 392(truck) and on my coupe(270 red ram)
    From a visual standpoint they almost look identical to a stock chevy 11 inch bell.I bought everything from Pat at Wilcap and never had a problemClutch,flywheel,Pressure Plate and starter.
    I did originally plan on using old Transept adapters from the 60's...but they are cast units and Pat's stuff is all CNC and designed to fit. Pat's products(IMHO) are far superior than the old stuff from a swap meet.You need to search out a bell.....they are kinda getting pricey due to all the muscle car guys. But still can be had.
    Pat and his crew are always busy..but will return your call.
    Good luck.
    Jeff

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

At one time you could buy these for 25 bucks.... I guess the times are a changing.....

15. wdglide

wdglide

I'm not doubting you, but isn't that a 153 tooth sized bell? I tried one and it would not clear the flywheel at the bottom.

16. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I can't honestly remember....But..I bought everything from Pat....(on both counts)....The only thing I had to find was the Bells...(for both engines.)The starters are Dodge Dakotas small mini starters.And these were supplied from Wilcap as well.

17. wdglide

wdglide

Seems like hardly anyone uses a Hot Heads adapter with a 4 speed. I'm too committed to Hot Heads to switch now.

Thats why I made this post, hoping to find someone in my situation. I'll just use the trial and error method, since Bob can't make a recommendation. Thanks.

18. Andy

Andy

Years ago I had a 354 project. I bought all the hemi to chevy trans stuff fom HH. I could not find a bell that would clear the starter nose. I finally cut away a bell and welded a patch over the hole. Did clear but did not ever run it. You do know Chevy bells come with different size trans holes? The visual clue is the distance from the pivot ball to the hole. You need to check if the trans fits the bell.

19. I would not run a Aluminum Bell Housing on a Stick shift Car
    for Your own Safety Use a Scatter-Shield
    so when the Clutch Blows up
    Your Feet are Protected.!
    just my 3.5 cents
    or when the Cows
    Come Home!

20. Reds 29

Reds 29

The bell that Jeff Norwell shows is the one I used. I didn't think it was a big deal, had the bell sitting around. We are using the 3 speed that we had already, same basic set-up as a four speed.

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

22. wdglide

wdglide

Well, I went to Wilcap for an answer. Got it in a few minutes. Thats says a lot about them! So for anyone in similar situation...

Pat said:
    The Chevy casting ending in 403 should work. Occasionally it might have slight interference around the bottom that requires removing a small amount of material.

23. I've done it. I have a 354 Chrysler, a Hot Heads Chevy manual adapter, Hot Heads Mopar 130 tooth steel flywheel, Mopar mini starter, a late 60s Chevy Camaro/Nova bell housing and fork ($25 at the junk yard), and a 69 Camaro 10.5 inch clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. My clutch is 26 spline, but that decision will be based on your trans input shaft.

Yes, it's a 153 tooth sized bell housing. And you are correct – it does not clear the Hot Heads Mopar 130 tooth flywheel at the bottom. I learned this when I fired my motor. The flywheel teeth quickly "machined" the bell housing where necessary. Once everything warmed up the friction/interference noise stopped. But when I'd let it cool down, the noise returned. So I had to pull the trans and bell to see what was going on.

[​IMG]

The contact didn't look too bad, so I broke out the die grinder and did a little more clearancing. At about 2,000 miles, everything is fine. I'm sure glad I didn't go with the aluminum flywheel, or worse, the steel bell.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    Jeff Norwell and wdglide like this.
  24. wdglide

wdglide

Dave,

I really appreciate the info and confirmation. I am friends with Mike and Jim Barillaro. As soon as I mentioned to them my next build was gonna be a Tudor with a hemi, they told me to check out your Vicki. It's an aspiration for sure.

Thanks again.

D-Russ likes this.