Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pre1940 fenderless cars now legal in British Columbia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pg409, Jul 1, 2016.

1. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Same as on a bike. Find a cozy pub and wait it out.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  2. You must have modified collector plates for this ruling to apply.

3. Ralph

Ralph

Three options. Stop driving, or call for a tow, or keep driving and take a chance on a ticket. I'll take option one far from home, or option three if I was close to home. Mostly, I think I'd take option three.

4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think that most guys will do as any other fenderless rodder does anywhere else. Run in the rain and throw up rooster tails and have fun.
    Most of the time police officers will wave or ignore you as long as you are following the other rules of the road. Speeding etc.

That isn't totally true as the ruling also applies to visitors to the province who won't have modified collector plates.

Like I said most guys will keep going unless the sky really opens up and they are in an open car. :D
    The police are sure to realize that it will happen at times and I doubt that they will be taking a hard line approach to it.

Besides, look at how many BC hooligans have been running around without fenders prior to this ruling.

Where's the hot rodders spirit of rebellion these days ? :D

5. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

There was no mention of this in the press release or anything else I could find about it.

6. I may have misunderstood. The wording is confusing. It states specialty cars,....... May not necessarily be referring to modified plates.
    Regardless, drove mine today, head held high!

bct likes this.
  7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"Qualifying vehicles must have been built in 1940 or earlier, or be replicas of this vintage of vehicle."

I'm guessing "replicas of this vintage vehicle" would be a new build (steel or glass) pre 41. Not that it's preferred HAMB material, but that's a break for a guy starting with an all new frame and body (T Bucket, Hiboy, etc).

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Here in Alberta I had a VIN number assigned to my RPU.
    The paperwork calls it an owner built ( in 2015 because thats when I had the paperwork done ) replica of a 1926 model T roadster pickup.

Despite the fact that I built most of the body in steel starting with the original T touring cowl and doors.
    And I built my own chassis.

With the limited space for the description of the make of car on our vehicle registration paperwork I'm betting that when I get my plate it will be listed as a 1926 model T and the model will read roadster.
    I guess we will see.
    I already have a good idea on that because that is how my buddies 27 RPU is registered.

9. Att'd Press Release has been prep'd for the interested car people on this topic.........yes, there are confusing issues & language as announced, hence the Steering Committee is presently working of clearing up any misunderstandings on this issue...........having said that, the legislation is in place.............

Attached Files:

10. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Is there a reason the fenderless rule is tied so closely to the "modified collector" designation?

I am not worried about cheap insurance and I would like to be able to drive my rod to work if I choose.

11. Seems gov't officials feel there is an importance.........that issue caught the Steering Committee by surprise.........certainly one of the clarification items being sought...........

12. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Good lets hope they have a reason for it. We certainly don't need a situation where the fenderless vehicle is only allowed for parades or to and from events only.