Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1948 Pontiac Update

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony Rice Jr., Jul 10, 2016.

?

Hot Rod or Not?

Poll closed Aug 9, 2016.
  1. Yes Hot Rod

66.7%
  2. No put it back to factory

33.3%
  1. Ok guys the Pontiac showed up and it looks better then I thought it would. I have found out that the car is a number matching one. So should I need hot rod it or restore it back to factory with some small upgrades... like disc brakes and A/C. Tell me what you guys think. Hot Rod or Not?

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Kind of a waste of time to hot rod especially if the power train is in decent shape. I would get it running and see what kind of shape it is in. If it has decent compression and oil pressure I would service the engine, trans and diff and drive it as is.

Is it a six cylinder or straight eight? Vintage Air may make an air conditioner for it and I expect someone makes disc brakes. Scarebird seems to cover a lot of old GM cars.

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

By the way..... cool car. You don't see enough of those 40s Pontiacs especially with shiny paint, the chrome all shined up and the glowing Wahoose on the hood.

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  4. It's a straight 6. I'm looking for the cylinder head right now. Once I find it then we will know which way I will go.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Is the head gone off it?

6. Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  7. belair

belair

Update the drivetrain and brakes to something more modern. Doesn't have to be exotic or complicated. I put a 250, th350 and 57 chevy reared in my48 Fleetline. Easy. Hot rod is not the direction I would take the car.

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

What is the engine like? Are the cylinders rusted? It might be better to write off the engine and trans unless you are extremely lucky.

Ordinarily I advise using the original engine or at least trying to, but that is if it can be put into decent shape without too much trouble or expense. If the head is missing it is probably too late.