Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest 50 years of "Playing ON the Freeway"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SanDiegoHighwayman, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

ohKAY then :) THISUN's for YOU wbrw32 out of the recent AND distant -------------- past ;) :)

Saturday, 13 April 2013

On the 8, a long LONG time ago --

Hello, Mr. Weller,

Cleaning out a drawer this past week, I came across the card you gave me when you rescued me on the 8 freeway about 27 years ago. So I was curious, and Googled your name, only to have the article written on the Huffington Post come up. That was one sweet write-up, and it warmed my heart to know you were still rescuing folks along the way. I found your website, and thought I’d relay my story.

I was in a little Ford Courier truck in the fast line on the 8, right around Fletcher Parkway when it died. It was a Friday night, lots of traffic, cell phones were non-existent, and I was in a panic. How do I get out of my car and get to the other side of the freeway, let alone get help? I could feel tears welling up in my eyes, while drivers swerved to get around me, no doubt cursing me for holding them up. Then I see a beautiful, older car pull ahead of me in the lane, and, instead of moving on, started backing up! Could this be a miracle? YES! You were my miracle! You came to my window, and softly asked “what seems to be the trouble?” Heck if I knew, but I tried to start the truck again, to no avail. You calmly told me you were going to get a rope and tie it to my bumper to tow me to safety. Once you were done, you came to my window again and said, “whatever you do, don’t run over the rope.” I can’t even remember where we towed it to – someplace off Grossmont Center Drive, I believe. I thanked you profusely, and said I’d walk to a pay phone to call my husband. You, instead, drove me all the way to Parkway Plaza so I could meet him there. I can’t even remember how I got a hold of him, but we were both grateful beyond measure for your help.

Since then, I’ve always remembered you and that evening when I see someone in distress, and more than once, I’ve helped someone out. Paying it back and paying it forward always feels great, and I do it with love in my heart and gratitude for my highway “angel” so many years ago.

And now, I’m off to write a check to you as a small token of my esteem for not only helping me, but helping out all those other stranded motorists over the years. Thank you, Tom!

[ I'd come home from doin the following rescue -- and found the above letter in my mailbox ---- my response ]

howdy M'lady
    thought ya might enjoy seein this :)

04/23/13

tday was a test - it was only a TEST - actually, it was QUITE a test!

of my patience, perseverence, and attitude ---
    on the PLUS side I didn't take the Lord's name in vain -- on the minus side I think I invented some NEW swear words[​IMG][​IMG]

young fella -- SB SR 163 JNO the Balboa Bridge -- on the RS w a RF blown & shredded on a littll rice rocket Honda

NO spare, but he's GOT one at home -- says he -- so, I take him home off the SB I-5 @ Imperial round 20th St & up to the Golden Hill area I think -- he gits a spare offa a Nissan quest there -- 5 bolt - I ask him if his car is a 4 or a 5 -- he says 5 -- we git back to it and it's a 4 [​IMG] so -- I tell him I'll be back in about 45 min w a spare fer him

he's disbelivein that I'm gonna come back -- he's disbelievin that I'm helpin him at all -- he's askin me several times "how much is this gonna cost me? -- he's disbelievin me -- he asks me who pays me? he's disbelievin that *I* haveta PAY to DO this!! He asks me "are you RICH?"

I tell him "only in Karma"

I come back w 3 different "mickey mouse" donut spares -- NONE of em fit the pattern -- too small [​IMG] [ gonna be lookin fer some w a larger 4 bolt pattern next weekend @ the swap meet ] [​IMG]

he's got 17 inch aftermarket wheels w the type of lugnuts that take a "key" socket to install-remove -- he don't HAVE the "key" I try takin em off w a socket and they jam in the socket -- one by one -- haveta hammer em out w a punch I JIST added to my impact tool kit a week ago due to similer circumstances w anuther incident --

MUCH more to come -- I jist got in & I'm HOT, tired, & worn out -- so I'm agonna hit the shower & rest awhile afore I come back to finish this --

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    well, I'm baaaack -- after a nice HOT shower and a juicy steak w buttered broccoli florets cooked fer me by my wonderfull "witch" -- that's w a W -- NOT a B[​IMG]

watched some bad news on the telly[​IMG] and came back to finish tellin my story here --

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So we got all four lock lugs off -- one at a frustureatin time[​IMG] took a LOT of time hammerin then damn things outta the socket w the punch so's to git the next one -- we take off the wheel and we go to a tire shop on Imperial where we pull in and onea the fellas immeadeatly comes over to me to say thanks fer the popsicles I usta give him on Fridays back when he was jist a kid walkin home from school [​IMG][​IMG]

they HAVE a tire, good used [ nearly new ] for $50 one fella mounts it up and balances it as well [​IMG] we pull out and are nearly back to the freeway afore I remember them damn lock lugs -- don't wanta dick around w THEM agin so I stop at an Autozone that jist happened to be handy and aqquired 4 ordaniry lug nuts to fit --

we head back NB I-5 to NB SR 163 and the traffic's backed up fer the afternoon rush beginnin so I haveta LITE UP to keep the boogers offa my tail as we decend into the mess -- bout halfway down I notice anuther small car of on the extreme RS near the call box there -- so I tell the kid we're gonna stop and see if I kin help that fella -- I LIT UP my arrow bar and strobes and start anglin over -- folks make a hole for me and I land in front of the disabled and back up to it -- it's an OH [ overheat ] -- I ask the fella the 2 important questions that go w an OH -- "did it DIE?" or "did you shut it off beFORE it died?" he answered correctly [​IMG]

So I was able to git *him* on his way w a cooled down engin & a full radiator[​IMG] told him to turn his heater ON as well to help keep it cool[​IMG]

we went around @ Robinson and came back SB to land behind his littl rice rocket fer the FORTH and last time [​IMG] things finally went well and we launched tgeather w me "coverin" as the traffic was HEAVY but they made a hole fer us when I LIT [​IMG]

this here is like a "Reader's Digest" version of all that went on to git this fella outta harm's way -- but -- I don't have it left in me to tell the long version as t-nite's NCIS nite and I gotta go take a littl nappy so's I don't miss my favorite show[​IMG]

do ya know, this day's doins cost me over $100 -- fuel, tire, lugnuts, etc [​IMG] but, ya'll remember that rescue note of thanks from 27 years ago I'd jist got? -- she'd *sent* me $100 check [​IMG]

unawares, she helped me help this fella [​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THANKEE M'lady Phyllis

yer kindness got "passed on" this day :)

GOOD onya

a more recent note -- a fella here on the HAMB, who runs a wreckin yard w his dad, down in the south bay, gifted me w a number of donut spares of the size I needed *that* day, along with a number of 14" 15" & 16" good tires to be utilized in rescuin those who I come across stranded w no resources -- still have a few ofem left -- THANKEE KINDLY "JunkYard Kid"

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  2. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

it's 100+ here today :eek: Shela and I don't do well in this kinda heat so we're lazin around the ranch -- She's nappin, & I'm doin things here & there to keep myself occupied -- the birds n the bees are flockin round my fountains & bird baths it's HOT!!!!!! :mad:

3. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

4. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Read this book in the mid sixties --:) when I was just a sprout -- had NO idea that the machine depicted IN it would be the inspiration for my Beulah's naming -- my "experience" :confused: on that cold, blizzarding night on rt 116 between Peoria & Metamora in 1964 beGAN my "mission" [ 2 years later ] of helping anyone I comeupon in need beside the highways and byways I travel -- 50 years *this* year --
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19111/19111-h/19111-h.htm

kinda amazing how Rick Raphael foresaw toDAY's and the future's highways :rolleyes: have you driven the 5 -805 merge recently?? :eek:

I've always thought JATO [ Jet Assisted Take Off ] would be helpfull in "launching" off the shoulder INto traffic --

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  5. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

6. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Keep up the Lord's good work and screw the naysayers.

Lebowski and SanDiegoHighwayman like this.
  7. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

HOO BOY!

This mornin,

06/28/12

On the way to my dentist appt, @ approx 9am - I'm WB I-8 JEO the Mollison off ramp when, all of a sudden, in fronta me, the traffic in all lanes comes to a screeching halt!

I'm in the #4 lane and I haveta stop suddenly - lighting up as I do so to warn oncoming traffic -- the vehicle directly behind me comes to a halt a safe distance behind me but -- NOT so the pickup behind it!! As I brace for impact, the pickup, luckily, goes to the shoulder and PASSES the vehicle behind me before coming to a stop as well on the RS shoulder - nearly beside me.

If it had *not* gone to the shoulder it would have driven the car behind me INTO me!

He then proceeded to git back in line and come up behind me and sit there -- blocking oncoming driver's view of my warning lights --

I *spoke* to the driver on my PA telling him to "GO AROUND! GO AROUND! GO AROUND! so my arrow bar and warning lights would be visible to oncoming traffic and *hopefully* warn them in time of completely stopped vehicles in the traffic lanes.

He did NOT -- he actually pulled back onta the shoulder, got out of his vehicle, and came up to my passenger side window and screamed at me that he was a taxpayin citizen and *I* had NO right cause him to stop nor to tell him what to do ???????

Unbelievable!

He said to me that "it was MY fault that he almost crashed!" and he was gonna report me to authorities and cause me trouble w em ??????????

I said "what would you HAVE me do? did you not SEE what was going on in front of you!? Where was *I* supposed GO? Why weren't you able to stop in a timely manner? He responded with a lot of threats as to what he was going to do to me with officials -- whew -- I said "look -- here's my card, you have a problem with me call me at home -- but THINK about it afore you do. -- now GET OUTTA HERE!!!!!!! [ he finally left ]

Nowta the *CAUSE* of the tie-up --------

Three dogs were running in lanes of the freeway -- three seperate women drivers had pulled to the RS shoulder at the top of the Mollison off ramp and were attempting to corral the dogs -- as the traffic began to break up & move away - my "litup" vehicle was blocking the # 4 lane and the off ramp w my arrowbar directing traffic to the left and my strobes and flashers givin a bright warnin -- nobody was comin close -- the women, now free from gittin possibly run over, were able to capture the two smaller of the dogs, but, the third -larger dog, was evading them and running in and out of the #4 lane and the off ramp lane -- they put the 2 they'd captured in the back seat of onea their cars and I left my vehicle and and ran up to help --

The dog was terrified and skittish and wouldn't come close enuf to grab - UNTILL - I had an inspiration - I always carry liver chiplets in my shirt pocket for Shela - and I had put some in my pocket even tho "She" wasn't with me on this trip -- thankfully ---[ as "She" would have likely had a violent reaction to this man's aggressive approach ] -- whew --

anyways -- the dog came upta me close enuf to grab to git the chiplet -- but -- went "postal" when I did - almost lost im agin -- he was a pitbull "puppy" and I was hopin he wasn't gonna clamp on my hand or arm -- scratched me up a leetil, but never actually bit me - calmed down as I stroked and talked to him and was able w the women's help - to git him in the back seat of the car w the others WHEW!

About now, I look up and see the Animal Control van approachin all "lit up" as well -- so -- I bid the ladies adieu, gave the high sign to the approchin van, jumped inta my car and "got the hell outta Dodge" down the offramp then up the other side and back on my way

Got to the dentist's -- thinkin bout the events just transpired - and figured I'd better call CHP and be pre-emptive -- just in case -- the fella had made a lotta threats ---

Officer who took my report reassured me that he *knew* of my efforts and that *if* they recieved a call form that fella it would be taken w a grain of salt -- whew

What a mornin ----

Oh, & my tooth is fixed up jist fine thanksta my GREAT dentist!

8. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Waxing nostalgic bout the birthplace of Phil's BarBQ on Goldfinch --http://www.philsbbq.net/about.html --
    When *I* discovered Phil's, it was because of publicity generated by the folks flocking to his establishment to partake of his delectibly delicious ribs!
    The original location was a shoebox of a tiny storefront, sandwiched in between an actual shoe repair business and a open air nighttime cinema showing classic films
    The crush of crowds was a problem for the Mission Hills neighborhood -- also the smoke was bothering his neighbors.
    Success was killing him w complaints -- the line of folks wishin to order often times reached aROUND the block and the traffic generated became a problem as well -- tiny dining area inside, and only several small tables outside on the sidewalk were ALWAYS filled w folks nackin on the ribs & chicken w folks often standin-waitin to sit --
    *We* [ wife and I ] developed a method to ease the madness for ourselves as we would call in our order -- and in the time it took to drive in from El Cajon, it would be ready as we arrived and the "take out" line was MUCH shorter!
    Due to the jammed inside tables, and the few outside always being packed as well, we took to bringing our OWN folding picnic table, which I would set up outside w a red tablecloth and a rose in a glass vase -- we sometimes brought friends in our distinctive old 56 Mercury Ambulance to partake of Phil's mouthwaterin joys w us, and one memorable time, we were priviledged to encounter an OPEN parkin spot diRECTLY in front of Phil's whereupon I deftly manuvered my treasured ambulance to the curb and set up our table to receive our anticipated repast while my wife and friends went in to pick it up,
    We're sittin, enjoyin our feast, when a fellow barbq lover approaches me w comments bout my Merc @ the curb -- he converses w me about it as we're finishing up, and remarks about it's uniqueness and condition --
    You should have SEEN his crestfallen look as I cleared & folded our table to stow in the rear of the ambulance :confused::oops:!
    Turned out, he was waiting-hoping to secure that table for *his* family who were waitin in line for their food -------
    I MISS the old - original location -- it was UNIQUE and required some expertise to enjoy properly
    Ah, the memories --------------------------------------:cool:

55 Ford Gasser likes this.
  9. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

10. HRS

HRS

HWYMN...you the MAN!

Thanks for bumping your thread. Inspiring. Made my morning!

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  11. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Bill Clinton story
    Howdy Bill,
    Way back when you were participating in a "Town Hall" meeting at the channel 10 headquarters here in San Diego I went down to attempt to meet you. Didn't get to, due to full venue and security, so I decided I'd at least get to see you go by in your motorcade. to that end, I positioned my SAR rig at the entrance to the onramp I figured you'd take to enter the 94 freeway.
    Surprise -- your motorcade headed off in a different direction so I proceeded to enter the freeway myself heading to Coronado where I had some business to take care of.
    Surprise AGAIN -- your motorcade came out of a different on ramp onto the 94 right beside me!
    I'd wondered at the lack of traffic when I'd entered the freeway -- seems the CHP closed it down for your passage but someone forgot to close the on ramp I'd entered from :O
    As I was right beside your limo the "chatter" on the CHP "gold" channel suddenly picked up [ I have a scanner in the rig ] about an old white stationwagon that looked a lot like "Ghostbusters" that was right beside the presidential limo. At that moment the door on the secret service van closest to me rolled back and there were a couple of serious looking guys with what looked like Uzies surveying me intently! I don't know what might have happened next had not I heard a voice on the "gold" say "It's oK -- I know him -- he's NOT a threat!"
    With that, I decided it was time to "get the hell out of Dodge" and dropped back from the motorcade to follow [ as it turned out ] at a safe distance to Coronado.
    Just wondering if you remember any of this or if you even noticed.
    Certainly gave me a story to tell!

41 coupe likes this.
  12. Thomas,That is a very good inspirational video,,,only one thing wrong in it...Beyoncé still cant sing....

13. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

:) :) :)

14. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

and *THIS* is WHY I NEVER take my eyes off my rear view mirror when waitin at a light unless I have 6 to 8 cars beHIND me to soften the impact - -and EVEN then, I'm STILL watching with my finger poised over the switch to my rearfacin emergency lights.

You never know -- most off ramps are downhill and vehicles are comin off the freeway at unknown speeds and unknown levels of control - attention --- it PAYS to BE aLERT -- the country NEEDS more "LERTS" ;) :)

ProTECT yerself! WATCH yer rear, and leave "JUMP space" in front of you when stopped in *ANY* situation!

A highway TR

by theHighwayman » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:51 pm
    Some things, you jist don't see coming --
    Some folks call me Highwayman -- cause I liketa "play on the freeway" [ as I call it ] helpin folks--
    Usual incidents I encounter are flat tires, out of gas, overheats, traffic accidents and the like.
    I'm pretty well equipped to handle most things I come across, and I keep my vehicle in tip top shape to be able to manuver quickly and safely
    Well, this one hot summer afternoon -- I'm WB on the I-8 approachin the West Main St. off ramp as I notice quite a long line of cars strechin out onto the freeway lanes from the ramp
    THEN I notice vehicles backin up the ramp to the freeway lanes!
    Well, somethin ain't right here so I LIGHT up my warnin lites and come in behind the last vehicle in line w my arrow bar goin to deflect oncomin traffic
    As the vehicles in front of me clear out inta the freeway traffic lanes, I git a view of an overturned car w folks tryin to help the occupants -- 3 vehicles badly smashed up in total, about midway down the ramp --
    Well -- I prepare to GIT down there to render aid, when, all of a sudden, my engine
    [ which had been runnin jist fine upta now ] up and DIES!! not only that -- it won't restart -- leavin *me* asittin smack in the middle of the offramp, at the top of the ramp
    Well now, it's afternoon, like I said, and the sun is in the eyes of the approachin drivers so it's difficult to SEE my warnin lites aflashin -- have a couple of near misses afore I grab out my neon red-orange signal flags and run back a ways to use em to GIT the attention of oncomin drivers so's they don't run inta *ME* & my rig
    I'm doin this fer quite a while it seems
    I'm stayin where I am, providin "cover" closin off the ramp -- cause I can't leave anyways -- wishin for a CHP to show up -- I'm havin quite a few drivers waitin till the last second afore they veer off back inta the freeway lanes, so I'm pretty busy fer a while -- then -- I take my eyes offa the incomin traffic fer jist a second as I look back down the offramp to see how things are progressin and I turn back jist in time to FRANTICALLY wave my flags at an oncomin Explorer whose female driver is talkin on her call phone and NOT PAYIN ATTENTION TO WHAT'S IN FRONT OF HER!!
    Nearly HIT me she did as she swerved back inta a traffic lane to the acopanyment of numerous horns blarin as she cut folks off
    WHEW!
    Now the paramedic ambulance and engine co shows up and runs down the now empty off ramp and gits to work on rescuin the trapped folks
    A CHP cruiser follows em in and the officer asseses the situation and comes backin up the ramp passin me and gittin behind me to light up and close the ramp -- tells me "thanks" and she'll take over now -- I say I may need a tow as my SAR rig died jist where it's sittin and won't restart -- then I try to start it -- ROOHM -- fires right off at the first turn of the key -- well -- WHAT the HAY?
    Thinkin bout it afterwards -- IF -- I had followed thru on my first impulse to GIT to the wreck scene and assist -- *I* mighta been killed by the female Explorer driver who jist WASN'T payin attention at all as she barrelled down the exit lane
    now whatta think caused my engine to die jist when it did?
    YES
    I BELIVE!
    [ rest o the day was ordainary ]
    btw -- NEXT time I use them flags I'm agonna be wearin gloves -- had blisters on palms of both hands from the wavin of em!

[​IMG]
    Medical emergency may have led to fatal crash
    One person was killed in a crash on Interstate 8 in El Cajon, according to the California Highway Patrol.
    10NEWS.COM|BY CITY NEWS SERVICE

15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

One thing I've sort of wondered about, ifn ya know you're gonna get buggered from behind stopped on the road at a light or whatever by a car or truck at a relatively high speed impact, it's probably human nature, to stomp on the brakes. This may or may not be a good idea though not really sure, maybe depends on whether there is a vehicle in front that would also be hit? Is there any guidance on this?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

If there's vehicles in front of you and you have NOwhere to go by all means STOMP on the brakes to lessin YER chances of liability from hittin the vehicle in front of you!

If there's NO one in front of you, or, you've prudently left "JUMP space" DO so!

I USE my rearfacin warnin lights OFTEN as a safety precaution whenever I've been forced to slow in freeway traffic -- and I'm the last car in line -- unTILL there's at least 4 to 6 vehicles [ or at least one big SEMI ] behind me to protect *ME* from impact.

JUST this mornin, there was an FSP tow stopped behind a minivan IN the slow lane WB I-8 @ College -- IN the lane!! He was LIT up and had cones out closin off the lane -- BUT - they were OLD cones dark & dirty -- *I* saw them in time because I'm LOOKIN and was able to change lanes smoothly to pass by safely -- HOWEVER, lookin in my rearview, I could just tell that there was gonna be a "situation" there shortly -- so I "went around" @ Waring Rd. headed back to 70th St, and went around agin to come up on this fully LIT UP w my arrow bar strobin left stopped half IN the lane and half on the RS to give em "cover"

sat there for a while, pulsin my SUPER bright brake lites [​IMG] rapidly whenever a vehicle would appear comin up the lane behind me -- MOST folks, cars and trucks, moved OVER before they got TO me - BUT -- *some* didn't!! :mad: Who knows WTF is WRONG with *some*??:confused:

Had several near collisions as drivers would slow to a near stop behind me INSTEAD of changing lanes when they HAD the chance to further back --- IF they had been payin attention :p

FSP driver approached me and stated he'd called CHP and they were on the way -- he put out some newer, higher VIS cones as he was walkin back [ helpfull ]

My Merc was gittin HOT just sittin there idling -- SO -- I HADta leave afore the CHP showed up :(

Had it been ME, I'da MOVED the minivan OUT of the traffic lane, ONto the raised mediun -- TOO DAMN DANGEROUS being STOPPED IN a traffic lane!

Too MANY *distracted* drivers out there never lookin further ahead then the car in front of them -- and WHEN that car in front of them suddenly swerves !!!! *they* have a "HOLY SHIT" moment beFORE *THEY* can think to swerve :eek:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  17. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

more in answer to your question truck64 -- USE whatcha got to protect yerself -- use hazard flashers, and pump yer brake pedal rapidly to flash yer brake lights to WAKE UP that possible IDIOT behind you who's bearin down on you -- and ALways have an escape space to jump into --

18. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Thanks. Just wondered if there would be a difference injury wise. Say whiplash. Or maybe less impact force transferred between vehicles if brakes are not engaged. I try to pump the brakes to signal oncoming traffic, esp. on a motorcycle.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Well, Beulah WAS hit from the rear -- stopped -- after just coming off the Coronado Bridge in 1994 -- fella that HIT me was changing lanes behind me and didn't realize I was stopped -- HIT me @ about 40 mph - -Drove Beulah forward almost 20 feet [ my safety space that I didn't git a chance to use cause I never saw him coming till the last second ] to hit a third car in front of me! this is a really loooong story so I'll tell it anuther time -- kinda tuckered just now --:rolleyes:

20. Thomas,I really enjoy your stories that you post...Thank God for people like you...I'd bet that you really enjoy all the dummies driving along with a damn cell phone growing from their ears..Take care !!!

21. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thankee kindly wbrw32, I live em & then I git to RElivem when I TELLem ;)

22. Yeah, we want them to have every advantage when they rape you financially....

23. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

[​IMG]
    *MY* BEST, and MOST favorite "trophy" :D
    childsthankyouart.jpg

agin, it's a loooong story - but one I'll enJOY tellin iffin there's an interest :) littl Whitney drew this for me after our meetin "On The Road" 4th of July weekend 2004 -- and look where she drew Shela :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  24. O.Hove

O.Hove
    Member Emeritus
    from S.D.

I like the 1960 Dodge taillites
    And someone able to make it live again

25. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

:) *now* I just need someone to make her sound electrically -- so that everything WORKS the way it's supposed to
    :( been contemplatin doin it aGIN myself:eek: [ pickin up spools of wire @ the swap meet ] and *then* I have days like today [ fixin the Merc ] where it took me MOST of the day to do what I usta be able to do ALL day long -- many times -- and I'm worn out from the little I did :oops: gittin old is pigeon poop!

thankee O.Hove, them Dodge lites have a *tunnel* effect that makes em PERFECT to focus the strobes & LED lites in em for maximum brightness & I lined em w aluminum foil to increase that o_O-- now, if money were no worries, I'd CHROME the inners:rolleyes:

[ do the best I can w what I have ]

26. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

July 9, 2014 ·
    Went out to play t-day after a day's absense -- Merc's still w-out it's radiator [ pulled it on Sunday and dropped it off Monday for repair :( so I took out the "undercover" Lumina -- *it* has AIR conditionin annnd NEVER gits overheated :)

Shela got her run [ walk that is - she's 14 almost 15 now ] @ the Dusty [ dog park in OB ]

Over the bridge & thru the woods [ Balboa Park on the 163 ] several times --

Stopped in to check on the Merc's radiator -- wasn't ready :(

Didn't come upon ANYone stranded

unTILL -----

I surPRIZED a littl gal who was OOG on the RS of I-8 EB JEO the I-15 on my way "back to the ranch"

Gave her some -- [ the Lumina jist has one gas can due to space available in the trunk, so I give out 1 gallon to start ] her car didn't start --

Gave her a leetil more and rocked the car while she tried agin -- STILL no start --

Because the car was on an a tilted angle on the shoulder, I hand pushed it about 30 feet further to a level spot and put the rest of the fuel I had in the can IN and rocked the car agin -- STARTED right up to BIG smile and thank you from the littl gal :)

She "launched" safely, as did I, and then I went off @ College to refill my can @ the Chevron up the road -- don't want to be caught w-out if I encounter anuther on the rest of the way home ;)

a pretty good day was had

27. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

a story, NOT one of mine, but one that made me cry, and beLIVE --

A Father, a Daughter and a Dog- A true story by Catherine Moore

"Watch out! You nearly broad sided that car!" My father yelled at me. "Can't you do anything right?"

Those words hurt worse than blows. I turned my head toward the elderly man in the seat beside me, daring me to challenge him. A lump rose in my throat as I averted my eyes. I wasn't prepared for another battle.

"I saw the car, Dad . Please don't yell at me when I'm driving.."

My voice was measured and steady, sounding far calmer than I really felt.

Dad glared at me, then turned away and settled back. At home I left Dad in front of the television and went outside to collect my
    thoughts..... dark, heavy clouds hung in the air with a promise of
    rain. The rumble of distant thunder seemed to echo my inner turmoil. What could I do about him?

Dad had been a lumberjack in Washington and Oregon . He had enjoyed being outdoors and had reveled in pitting his strength against the forces of nature. He had entered grueling lumberjack competitions, and had placed often. The shelves in his house were filled with trophies that attested to his prowess.

The years marched on relentlessly. The first time he couldn't lift a heavy log, he joked about it; but later that same day I saw him
    outside alone, straining to lift it.. He became irritable whenever
    anyone teased him about his advancing age, or when he couldn't do something he had done as a younger man.

Four days after his sixty-seventh birthday, he had a heart attack. An ambulance sped him to the hospital while a paramedic administered CPR to keep blood and oxygen flowing.

At the hospital, Dad was rushed into an operating room. He was lucky; he survived. But something inside Dad died. His zest for life was gone. He obstinately refused to follow doctor's orders. Suggestions and offers of help were turned aside with sarcasm and insults. The number of visitors thinned, then finally stopped altogether. Dad was left alone..

My husband, richard, and I asked Dad to come live with us on our small farm. We hoped the fresh air and rustic atmosphere would help him adjust.

Within a week after he moved in, I regretted the invitation. It seemed nothing was satisfactory. He criticized everything I did. I became frustrated and moody. Soon I was taking my pent-up anger out on richard. We began to bicker and argue.

Alarmed, richard sought out our pastor and explained the situation. The clergyman set up weekly counseling appointments for us. At the close of each session he prayed, asking God to soothe Dad's troubled mind.

But the months wore on and God was silent. Something had to be done and it was up to me to do it.

The next day I sat down with the phone book and methodically called each of the mental health clinics listed in the Yellow Pages. I explained my problem to each of the sympathetic voices that answered in vain.

Just when I was giving up hope, one of the voices suddenly exclaimed, "I just read something that might help you! Let me go get the article.."

I listened as she read. The article described a remarkable study done at a nursing home. All of the patients were under treatment for chronic depression. Yet their attitudes had proved dramatically when they were given responsibility for a dog..

I drove to the animal shelter that afternoon.. After I filled out a
    questionnaire, a uniformed officer led me to the kennels. The odor of disinfectant stung my nostrils as I moved down the row of pens Each contained five to seven dogs. Long-haired dogs, curly-haired dogs, black dogs, spotted dogs all jumped up, trying to reach me. I studied each one but rejected one after the other for various reasons too big, too small, too much hair. As I neared the last pen a dog in the shadows of the far corner struggled to his feet, walked to the front of the run and sat down. It was a pointer, one of the dog world's aristocrats. But this was a caricature of the breed.

Years had etched his face and muzzle with shades of gray. His hip bones jutted out in lopsided triangles. But it was his eyes that caught and held my attention. Calm and clear, they beheld me unwaveringly.

I pointed to the dog. "Can you tell me about him?" The officer looked, then shook his head in puzzlement. "He's a funny one. Appeared out of nowhere and sat in front of the gate. We brought him in, figuring someone would be right down to claim him. That was two weeks ago and we've heard nothing. His time is up tomorrow." He gestured helplessly.

As the words sank in I turned to the man in horror.. "You mean you're going to kill him?"

"Ma'am," he said gently, "that's our policy. We don't have room for every unclaimed dog."

I looked at the pointer again. The calm brown eyes awaited my
    decision. "I'll take him," I said. I drove home with the dog on the
    front seat beside me.. When I reached the house I honked the horn twice. I was helping my prize out of the car when Dad shuffled onto the front porch... "Ta-da! Look what I got for you, Dad !" I said excitedly.

Dad looked, then wrinkled his face in disgust. "If I had wanted a dog I would have gotten one. And I would have picked out a better specimen than that bag of bones. Keep it! I don't want it" Dad waved his arm scornfully and turned back toward the house.

Anger rose inside me.. It squeezed together my throat muscles and pounded into my temples. "You'd better get used to him, Dad. He's staying!"

Dad ignored me.. "Did you hear me, Dad ?" I screamed. At those words Dad whirled angrily, his hands clenched at his sides, his eyes narrowed and blazing with hate. We stood glaring at each other like duelists, when suddenly the pointer pulled free from my grasp. He wobbled toward my dad and sat down in front of him. Then slowly, carefully, he raised his paw..

Dad's lower jaw trembled as he stared at the uplifted paw confusion replaced the anger in his eyes. The pointer waited patiently. Then Dad was on his knees hugging the animal.

It was the beginning of a warm and intimate friendship. Dad named the pointer Cheyenne . Together he and Cheyenne explored the community. They spent long hours walking down dusty lanes. They spent reflective moments on the banks of streams, angling for tasty trout. They even started to attend Sunday services together, Dad sitting in a pew and Cheyenne lying quietly at his feet.

Dad and Cheyenne were inseparable throughout the next three years. Dad's bitterness faded, and he and Cheyenne made many friends. Then late one night I was startled to feel Cheyenne 's cold nose burrowing through our bed covers. He had never before come into our bedroom at night.. I woke richard, put on my robe and ran into my father's room. Dad lay in his bed, his face serene. But his spirit had left quietly sometime during the night.

Two days later my shock and grief deepened when I discovered Cheyenne lying dead beside Dad's bed. I wrapped his still form in the rag rug he had slept on. As richard and I buried him near a favourite fishing hole, I silently thanked the dog for the help he had given me in restoring Dad's peace of mind.

The morning of Dad's funeral dawned overcast and dreary. This day looks like the way I feel, I thought, as I walked down the aisle to the pews reserved for family. I was surprised to see the many friends Dad and Cheyenne had made filling the church.. The pastor began his eulogy. It was a tribute to both Dad and the dog who had changed his life.

And then the pastor turned to Hebrews 13:2. "Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by this some have entertained angels without knowing it."

"I've often thanked God for sending that angel," he said.

For me, the past dropped into place, completing a puzzle that I had not seen before: the sympathetic voice that had just read the right article... Cheyenne 's unexpected appearance at the animal shelter .
    ...his calm acceptance and complete devotion to my father. . and the proximity of their deaths. And suddenly I understood. I knew that God had answered my prayers after all.

Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

And if you don't send this to your friends ---nobody cares.. But do share this with someone. Lost time can never be found.

God answers our prayers in His time........not ours..

28. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

July 10, 2014 at 5:42pm ·
    there *should* be tougher, more enforceable laws about throwing LIT cigerettes out of moving vehicles -- there *USED* to be a # one could call to report such careless actions -- I happened to be behind a car, late model, white, Audi licence # LOPT[red heart]67 t-day on the 163 SB JNO the Laurel St bridge where the driver AND passenger were BOTH holding their cigerettes out the windows on both sides of the car between puffs -- then the driver tossed theirs -- I "SPOKE" about it TO em on my PA and the passenger intentionally tossed theirs out onto the RS !!! "classy" people NOT! WTF is WRONG w some people?! :p aSIDE from being disgusting litterbugs -- we're in a SERIOUS fire season here thanks to the drought!

helped a young fella stranded OOG w an old dilapidated motor home on the SB 163 below Mercy Hospital -- got him goin ok

Earlier, near the start of my day's "playin" I was enterin the SB I-5 from SB 163 when I spotted a fullsize pickup stopped IN lanes on the NB side where there is NO RS shoulder!!! Hopped onit to git to Imperial where I doubled back and came outta the onramp LIT to git to the incident afore tradgedy ensued -- made it and blocked the lane behind the pickup w my LIT Chevy while the driver approached w an old traffic cone he'd found beside the road and had placed it behind his truck -- he hustled past me and placed it behind my Chevy as I was energicilly wavin off oncomin traffic -- couldn't even take the time to open my trunk to GIT to the red-orange signal flags stored there to make us more visible as oncoming vehicles were bearing down on us at high speed and not moving over till the last second!! Several never DID move over untill they'd come to a STOP in lane behind us!!

why don't drivers LOOK AHEAD at what's comin up in FRONT of em? t-day was CRAZY bad w in000000000000attentive drivers!!!

anyways, while a coupla them were blockin the lane behind me I had time to git out the flags while placin a 911 call as well and, flags in hand was now MORE "visible" to oncoming traffic -- not that it helped THAT much :pSTILL had near misses

soon after placin the call, I see a CHP Explorer SUV, all LIT UP, doin the "traffic slowin" manuver holdin all lanes behind him as he approached the scene -- as he passed the 94 on ramp his swervin across the lanes became more pronounced as he covered thos lanes as well to stop them then - -he did sumthin I'd never seen done before :O he drove in circles in mid lanes so that his PA would be heard by all and told drivers to HOLD position stopped till he could clear the obstructin truck -- thanked *me* on the PA and told me to pick up the cone as he was gonna push off the truck --

As I packed up and "launched" I could hear him instructin the truck driver to git ready to be pushed to a safe zone -- *my* next stop was the 76 on Robinson where I quickly made use of the restroom facilities ;) somea them obliviot drivers had come CLOSE ;) :p

29. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thomas Weller
    July 10, 2015 at 8:24am ·
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/19111/19111-h/19111-h.htm *this* book's vehicle is the "namesake" for *my* Beulah and, with my chance encounter w the samaritan who saved me in that fatefull latenight snowstorm -blizzard in Illinois in 1964, likely set my life's "mission" course as a "Highwayman"

[​IMG]
    The Project Gutenberg eBook of Code Three, by Rick Raphael
    This etext was produced from Analog Science Fact--Science Fiction, February 1963. Extensive research did not uncover any evidence that the U.S. copyright…
    GUTENBERG.ORG

30. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.