Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cruise-o/ford-o pressure rod adj.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Coopertough, Jul 9, 2016.

1. Coopertough

Coopertough

Seeing if maybe anyone is familiar with pressure rod adjustment on cruiseomatic/fordomatic transmissions i swapped on a new carburetor on my 64 f250 292 and added carpet so with that being said i had to adjust my throttle linkage to allow for full pedal movement but cant seem to get the pressure rod back into adjustment i can get it to upshift if i let off for a bit but then it kicks back down when i reapply pedal so does anybody have any tips on getting this thing right other than keep turning and driving until its right? is there an approximate angle the lever on the trans is supposed to sit at?

2. 55Brodie

55Brodie

Sounds like the rod needs to be lengthened. I believe trial and error is the only way since you don't have the stock setup anymore. At least it was for me when I installed 2 4's on my 55. I used a hairpin clip at the clevis which made adjustments fairly painless.

3. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

4. Coopertough

Coopertough

thanks for the input guess ill spend the day doing some trial an error

Attached Files:

5. Coopertough

Coopertough

Found the proper procedure and thought id share for anyone else struggling with this

Disconnect the pressure rod from the throttle linkage and pull up until the arm on the trans hits the internal stop thread the shaft whether shorter or longer until the pin moves freely into the hole on the manifold mounted bracket once it slides in freely turn an additional 3 full turns ccw or lengthen then connect everything back up and take it for a spin

I was skeptical at first beings everywhere i looked said to lengthen my rod i ended up about an inch shorter than initial starting point but gave it a test drive and its the best shifting and response ive had since owning this truck and my whining noise in reverse is gone too hope this helps someone else as it did me

6. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

As a kid I put a 3x2 set up on my 56 Ford. Throttle linkage bolted up in a different position so the old Fordo wouldn't shift correctly. Adjusted the throttle pressure linkage per the procedure and worked just fine after that. Makes my hair stand up when I hear people call it a "kickdown rod" on an old Fordo. Usually get the "deer in the headlites" look when I explain how it works.

Coopertough likes this.