Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 37 Chevy Frame interchange

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by serf2, Jul 7, 2016.

1. serf2

serf2

I just picked up a 37 Chevy Coupe that I want to make a gasser out of. The frame has been hacked up and I need another one to replace it with and I don't want to go with a new one. Does anyone know if the Olds, Pontiac or Buick"s frame are interchangeable?

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

3. oldolds

oldolds

37-38 Chevy. The Pontiac might be close, the wheelbase will be longer. The length will be added to the front. 6 cyl and 8 cyl will be different as well. If you are making a gasser you can cut the front off and use tubing to arrive at what you need.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If the frame is that bad it might be better to make a new one.

5. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

With the wheelies they do now it might be a good thing to have a new frame, would hate to bend your car because of a weak frame

I'am glad we did not have worry about front in the air stuff back in my day

Looking forward to your build

DND

6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Chevy frames are a top hat design from just sheet metal bent into shape , replacing the bottom with a heavier plate , and some bracing while it is off will make a world of difference . Not much there in stock form

7. EZ Cool

EZ Cool
    Alliance Vendor
    from Slaton TX

Sedan and coupe frames are the same. 39 is supposed to work too. I removed the frame from my 38 coupe that I hacked up myself in the '90's. Put mustang 2 on it and made it a streetrod. Learned the error of my ways. Bought a 38 sedan rust bucket just to get the frame and put it under the coupe.
    [​IMG]

Atwater Mike likes this.
  8. Don't try to use any other GM frame......they're all different, in fact a 39 chevy frame is one year only as is a 40 chevy frame......gotta be 37-38 chevy only

9. knotheads

knotheads

The 37 Chevy frame is shaped different in the rear frame area than the 38.

10. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hey Knot

I hung a 37 ' front end on my 38' and was wondering what the difference is, I always thought the only dif was the grille etc

Thanks, Don

11. knotheads

knotheads

body wise and front suspension wise everything interchanges . the frame is different where the frame drops over the rear suspension . The 37 frame has a single continuous angle to the rear body mount. The 38 drops over the differential then transitions into a flat area for the rear mount. To use the 38 frame under a 37 body the trunk sheet metal and body mounts would need reconstruction . I still haven't figured out how to post pictures on the new hamb forum but if you go to Superior Glass works and search for 1937 Chevy frame and search 1938-39 Chevy Frame, you can see the difference.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  12. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

37-38 are the same, master had a knee-action suspension on the front and the standard had a straight axle front.

13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

37 -38 sedan -coupe are a bit different . Sedan has a slight dimple to allow , for fuel tank fill . Frame will work on a coupe but coupe must be dimpled to work on a sedan . Nothing major , easy mod if need be

14. car doctor

car doctor

Where do you live? I have a decent one from a 37 coupe I would give you.

15. serf2

serf2

I'm over near Philly. Quite the drive! Is the frame from a standard Coupe with the straight axle up front and not the knee action?

16. car doctor

car doctor

It had the knee action front end.

17. oldolds

oldolds

That free frame is a good deal. The knee action unbolts from the frame. You just need the straight axle stuff to replace it. You can find stock or use aftermarket. It is minimal welding. I changed a few over the years.

18. HRK-hotrods

HRK-hotrods

I agree... If it's too far of a drive, maybe a HAMB relay could be arranged?

19. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Wow, 5.5 hour drive each way for a free frame......you need to be all over that!

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Yeah, you post that you need a 37 Chevy frame on an International message board and a good Samaritan from the same State offers one for free and you balk at the drive?

Grab a friend and a pickup (or rent a U Haul van for a day), pack a cooler and bomb out that round trip drive in a day! That replacement frame could be in your driveway this weekend!

Maybe you have some spare parts to bring along in trade that Car Doctor can use? Or at least find out what type of beer he likes...

21. serf2

serf2

Sounds good Car doctor, I'll take it. send me a text so I have your number and we can figure out a time for me to come out.
    Thanks Mark 484-651-0980

22. car doctor

car doctor