Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally got an A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Malibob, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1467995834.319118.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1467995854.547987.jpg

Little update, been trying to put miles on so not too much done but

Added seatbelts
    Installed a horn
    And got rid of those steps, put new rubber mats on too

2. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Looks much better now. you've added some awesome touches . How's that 59a holding up! ? car looks fantastic

Sent from my SM-S920L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  3. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Engine is doing good. I got an Aeroquad and Offy intake for it as well as a dual carb intake for it- I can decide which I like better and save the other. Also picked up a 6 blade fan and Stewart Warner temp gauge. It overheats every once in a while and I think it's leaking out of the drains on the block so I'm gonna replace those- probably with plugs.

I need to make some adjustments to carb because it isn't as responsive as I think it could be but it does real well. I haven't had it on highway since I got new wheels on it but after I adjust carb again I think I'll give it another go.

Been trying to drive it more now that it isn't an oven and its been a blast. I want to get more out of fifth gear though too so want to get highway gears.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

Enjoying your build thread. Your car is very cool. This is the direction i want to go so your build has been very helpful for direction and ideas. Im a novice when it comes to A's so this has been very helpful. Thank you for posting.

5. Bill00

Bill00
    from WV

I just read this whole thread and had to sign up just to say this is a beautiful car. You built it just like I want to build my model a.
    IMAG0558 small.jpg

Muttley likes this.
  6. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Danekejt, Bill00- thanks both of you. It's been a fun car and it's not done yet. I still have the plans to add speed parts over time but still keep it modest. I really am happy with my vision coming together on this car and don't want to take away from the overall feel of the gentleman's coupe I have achieved.

I almost need to start another car to take one to the next level.

7. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

So little update.

Got a pair of Offy heads- vintage ones so hope they are in good shape. Got to get them blasted and think I am going to paint them black and scuff the fins. Looking into head gaskets now, based on what I've read on here graphite is the way to go with aluminum heads.

It should go nice with my Aeroquad and Offy intake.

Been driving as much as I can and finally got the balls to try the highway again and man how awesome. I got to almost 75 mph and it rode pretty nice. Definitely need a set of highway gears in the future.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

9. Danekejt

Danekejt
    from Pa

Looking good. That is a great shot of your car.

10. keywestjack

keywestjack
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Pittsburgh

You (yinz) really have a sweet car!!!

11. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

Swest coupe! Im gonna run fenders w/wires too? Love the stance

12. 1lucky1

1lucky1
    from Morgan NJ

The 18 inch wires make it, I know you said you got thr tires from Coker, Which ones? Thanks Lucky

13. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

They are excelsior. I know they aren't your typical Firestone but they match which was a real big deal to me, and they are both car tires so that was another big issue.

14. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

So I've had a rad problem all summer. Runs fine and cool but purges on cold starts. So decided I needed to investigate. Pulled the front end off and the rad too and these 3 little guys were hanging out at the top of the radiator. Acorns don't belong in radiators. Next up is a pressure test to find out if any leaks- always looked wet at base so probably need a new new radiator.
    Since the radiator is out of the way guess it's a good time to start adding some goodies.

[​IMG]

hotrodderhaag and kiwijeff like this.
  15. Never2low

Never2low

16. Very pretty car. I like them Both ways original and as a hot rod. If it is beautiful as yours is than I leave them stock. I would then search for another one to build into something that could scratch that itch. Just sayin. Such a nice car!!!!!!! I am built a whole different stock from most of you youngsters. But again it is your car do with it what you will. I take stuff from the 50's and 60's to make it back into an original. Hard to do when it has been all cut up and rusted out. Pitting is hard to get rid of. These are the cars I make into hot rods. Using new metal and structural components. But I have won 5 World of Wheels firsts. So again do what you want. But one that nice is HARD to come by. When it is modified make sure it is what you want. I do BOTH types so have fun and welcome to the forum.

17. john dioli

john dioli

Love it with the 18 its perfect looks great cocgrats
    John

18. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

acorns! typical flathead that came from a tiny 1 car garage in the hills of pittsburgh! that engine had such a great story behind it. I was very lucky to get it along with the alcohol dirt car flathead.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  19. 55zephyr

55zephyr

Stunning car, sits just right.
    Cheers, Ron.

20. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Still love the rebuild tag on it.

21. CoolYourJets

CoolYourJets

22. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

So this thing hasn't just been taking up room in the garage this winter I have actually manned up and decided to try and put some aluminum heads on and get the carb on too.

Stromberg Aeroquad all rebuilt and cleaned up
    IMG_1485389382.127335.jpg

IMG_1485389395.449396.jpg

Thanks to Rich for the work, now get better so you can send it back man. Seriously though - get better

So if you've been following you will remember that the radiator is also off to get fixed, since the whole front end is off I figure it's a perfect time to take the heads off and try to break some studs. Got the drivers side off and so far one stud came out. I am using the trans fluid and acetone method for relieving the bolts. You can bet I will bitch, I mean let you know about how many I break. Anyways here are some pictures and some motivation pictures of the Offy resting in place.

IMG_1485389722.666003.jpg
    IMG_1485389733.600523.jpg
    IMG_1485389745.464661.jpg
    IMG_1485389754.138160.jpg

Ok so all this is pretty common to you guys but I do have a tip in all of this, it's RockAuto. I looked everywhere for gaskets and they aren't cheap, but then on a whim I looked on RockAuuto's site and they had a complete engine gasket kit for less than I could pay for one head gasket. It's a fel-pro too. So look there before you call your speed shop who's charging for the trend of traditional rods.

23. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

24. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

You should be running copper gaskets , sprayed with copper sealant if your going aluminum heads . It's a life saver !

25. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Little update. Got the heads on finally. Only had one stud that leaked and just took it out, put more permatex on and we are in good shape. I think I broke about 8 studs which all things considered I didn't think was too bad.

[​IMG]

So the next step is to flush the cooling system. It has been running about 160 on a hot day so gonna need thermostats too.

Surprisingly enough I noticed a difference in torque and the exhaust note.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So after all that... I decided to run the hood sides. Nothing like spending a few hundred dollars just to cover it up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

waxhead likes this.
  26. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

The hood sides MAY help the cooling. Kinda work as a shroud and air director.
    YRMV.

27. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Running too cool already.

28. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Did a little rod run to OH with my buddy this weekend. Car did exceptional. Almost 100 mile shot and only one stop... for gas.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

TheAlabamaKid and waxhead like this.
  29. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Ride home was just a good- just couldn't see nearly as much. Haha
    [​IMG]

TheAlabamaKid and waxhead like this.