Register now to get rid of these ads!

hearing protection; unwanted advice for the younger set...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Feb 24, 2013.

1. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

Until I bought some hearing aids about 3 years ago, I thought the Beach Boys were all bass singers and they only played drums. HOWEVER, think of the money I saved since I only needed cheap radios since 1969!!

Flathead Dave likes this.
  2. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I have ignored my hearing loss as long as I could. Just from playing in a couple of garage bands and listening to loud music, the military and age progression. When the Army Audiologist told me that I needed a hearing aid due to back ground noise and the loss of high pitch, I ignored it. The ringing in the ears is a constant. It's hard to tune my guitars. I'll tell you one thing, it's scary as all hell when you don't hear that car honking from behind you at the light because you're too busy head banging and playing air guitar to CCR in your car with the volume almost all of the way up so that you can hear the music. Fuck it! Rock on....Hearing is like sex. You still have to wear protection.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  3. RoadkillCustoms

RoadkillCustoms
    from Mesa, AZ

Solid Advice. Hearing (and sight) loss sucks...

Flathead Dave likes this.
  4. I never used hearing protection until I worked someplace that used them for OSHA compliance (about 20 years ago). I found them extremely uncomfortable.

Let me explain, I suffer from Tinnitus. I have for pretty much all of my adult life. It runs in the family. Covering or plugging my ears makes the ringing and or *static more pronounced.

That said, Atch is not wrong. Hearing loss is a bad deal and if you can avoid it that is a good deal.

*A common misconception is that Tinnitus is ringing of the ears, often it is more of crackling or roaring like a bad connection of the telephone or radio. Another misconception is that it is caused by high blood pressure. Blood pressure can be a cause of it, but is not the cause of it.

5. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

This thread im in page five. I feel my input is that I am 27 and i apriciate this thread and i will really start on my ear protection alot more i have all the others gloves and eyes. But ears i always a bit protective but not as much as im supossed to. Im not exposes to loud elements but aome what i am. Lime lawn mowing weed eater loud music ocasinaly and my truck alil bit. But thank you for this eye opening thread

6. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

Lol true

7. chargin03

chargin03

What did you say ?

8. malcolm1943

malcolm1943

I'm in my early 70s and have worn hearing aids since my mid 30s. I spent better than twenty years as an Operating Engineer (heavy equip. operator), as an apprentice we were told of the danger of hearing loss, and how employers were required to provide hearing protection. I wore those little sponge ear plugs every day and within seven years had lost about 75% hearing in both ears. At that point my then employer recognized my symptoms and took me for a hearing test, and I got hearing aids and custom made earplugs at that time and wore them every day after. Now some 40 years later and on my third set of aids, my hearing tests at 98% loss in both ears, this is due to the years of bad hearing protection, and the fact the nerve damage continues to deteriorate. If your young with good hearing go to a hearing provider and ask about getting some custom made ear plugs, they are not very expensive, and will save hearing better than the cheap foam plugs.

pirate likes this.
  9. At least most of you guys had unassisted hearing for most of your lives, I never had the option to save and protect it.

10. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

As applied to hot rods, if you need ear plugs for a street car...you're doing it wrong.

I'm 20 years Air Force fighter aircraft maintenance and my hearing isn't as it should be as hearing protection was seen as weakness when I started out. My left ear is worthless and my right ear my wife swears is selective. I've been to racing events of all types across is planet, nothing equals a f-15 or f-16 on a trim pad running ground. AF MXvets can voucher for this.

11. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My tinitus is 3,600Hz...that's what the hearing study said. ..
    Like someone said it's not really physical...it's a "wiring" problem...
    I can meditate (no laugh) and "turn it off" temporarily...
    Listen to lotso music....!...or sounds like rain , river etc...

Sent from my SM-G900V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

When using a grinder I wear safety glasses and a full face shield. I figure I'm ugly enough without taking a wheel in the face.

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto Beaner, mine rings loud since a bad ear infection a long time ago, took the hearing out of that ear as well. All in about 48 hours. No fix...medically.

I cant afford them yet but there are new hearing aids on the market that are the next generation beyond Bluetooth technology and they work via your iphone. You can take and receive calls, listen to tunes, if someone whispers in your deaf ear - you hear it your good one, and they reduce the tinnitus by electronically masking it. I tired them and they are clever, just $8000 more than I feel like spending.

14. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Vibrations also cause the hairs in the inner ear to fall out.

OSHA requires hearing protection for noise over 85 decibels then they require louder back up alarms so they can be heard while wearing hearing protection. Everyone gets accustomed to hearing the back up alarms that they don't pay attention and operators assume they don't need to look while backing up because the back up alarm will get people to move out of the way.

15. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

OK, my hearing mess. Chronic middle ear infections as a child. In the 50's they didn't have antibiotics, so the doc cut open my ear drums and flushed my my middle ear with a suction bulb. It's the loudest sound you'll ever hear, I was awake, he put cocaine mixed with water in my ears before to help with the pain. I had this done about 3 or 4 times to each ear. My ear drums have scars. Plus 35+ years of grinding lenses as an optician. What? Is my favorite word. Drives my wife nuts, revenge is sweet !!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  16. My hearing has improved over the past year, no explanation and I've been playing with cars again. Part of it is probably due to less ear infections. I do have a narrowed ear tube and my ENT eventually wants to open it up.

At concerts I wear these ear plugs called Hearos. Otherwise the music sounds like an old scratch 78 LP.

My brother has hearing aids, his hearing is terrible. My dad, his hearing got better once he retired from Grumman. He thinks all the years exposed to loud air tools was the cause of his loss. I can't stand the hissing of a bad air hose any more myself.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. atch

atch

It's been 4 years since the last response to this post. So, in the interest of reaching those who have joined in that time, here's something to chew on...

VANDENPLAS and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. leon bee

leon bee

My hearing aids are interesting. They allow me to hear a little bit of what I need to, and everything I don't need to. Ears been ringing hard since spring of 1971, Lam Son 719.

chryslerfan55 and blowby like this.
  19. I hear pretty well considering what I had done in the past. Probably not as good as I think I hear...

At the shooting ranges, I wear good dB rated soft foam plugs plus good name brand ear muffs. I can lift an ear muff if I need to talk to someone for a second. When I grind something or use an air chisel, I have an old dirty pair of ear muffs I wear.

I had my hearing checked maybe 15 years ago and the technician asked if I was ever in the army... namely ARTILLERY.

20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Hard ringing here too, couple decades now. Got hearing aids finally last year, good prescription ones (after trying the HF $10 ones, lol). Wore them a couple months, drove me nuts. The audiologist adjusted them, I played with them.. Somebody drops a spoon, I jump out the window. I don't even know where they are anymore.

I get at least one tinnitus spam email per day. Someone ever finds something that works they can have my next born..

chryslerfan55 and leon bee like this.
  21. Ahh, tinnitus my constant companion. Unfortunately I can't leave home without it! I have found something though that my pharmacist recommended that, at least for me, seems to help some. It's a dietary supplement that I take three times a day.

22. Gman0046

Gman0046

Tinnitus Sucks. I keep hoping someone would come up with a cure but no such luck. Totally deaf in my left ear along with Tinnitus. My Dad had Tinnitus and I never realized what he was going through until I got it. Paying the price for being around jet engine for 40 years.

chryslerfan55 and bobss396 like this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I ruined my hearing in one day when I was 14. I when plinking with a .22 H and R revolver at a dump site near my house. After about two boxes of .22 shells my ears were ringing real loud, you know like when you hear a very loud sound. Most of the time it goes away after a short time. Mine kept ringing , so when I tried to sleep, I hope it would be gone in the morning. When I woke up they were still ringing just as loud as the day before. 55 years later they are still ringing just as loud as the day I fired that revolver!
    My point is, it doesn’t have to be a long session of loud noises to ruin your hearing, mine happen in a couple of hours and have given me a lifetime if misery.
    I was anal about my son’s hearing and protected it, maybe too much. But today , at 45 , he still has perfect hearing!
    If you think it can’t happen to you and you act like a tough guy..... you will pay the price!
    PROTECT YOUR HEARING!!!!! AT ALL TIMES!!!!

Bones

24. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I worked for a company that for insurance reasons adopted a very strict safety program. Mandatory safety shoes, eye protection, and ear protection among other things. Anyone in manufacturing areas rather full time or those visiting on a regular basis had to have hearing tests the first time to establish a base line and then yearly after that. After my first test the technician giving the test said. “You are probably over 50, right handed and were in the military” I asked him how he knew that and he said everyone as they get older loses hearing and it becomes most noticeable after 50. Right handed and in the military because my left ear had 50% less hearing from muzzle blast from shooting a rifle right handed.

Of course it didn’t hurt that I had been around loud cars, machinery and manufacturing all my life. I too have constant ringing and been told I could benefit from hearing aids.

25. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always had good hearing but due to old age, 22 years as a LEO going to the range to qualify once a quarter, and wearing the crap plastic ear plugs the Army used in the early '70's, my hearing isn't as good as it used to be. I'll admit I don't use ear muffs for everything but I do for really loud situations especially a wood chipper I own. I do know 3 Vietnam vets who have moderate to extreme hearing loss. One who was in the artillery and then became a contractor was told by the VA that his hearing loss was do to using a Skill saw without hearing protection. It wasn't till after the war in Iraq/Afghanistan and the hearing losses suffered by returning vets that the VA realized that it was his 18 months in Vietnam that was the real cause of his hearing loss and fitted him with hearing aids. Another who was a piston engine air craft mechanic in Vietnam has hearing loss so bad none of the hearing aids available help much. Its heart braking to see him shut out of conversions especially with his grad kids because he can't hear what they're saying.

26. 34Larry

34Larry

I ditto all the comments about hearing loss. Boeing and shop heavy steel work caused mine through the years. Ever stand next to a commercial airplane while a couple of riveters and their buckers drive rivets in an aluminum structure or work build steel bridge/buildings with all the hammering, grinding?
    It ain't pretty and no one ever thought of hearing protection until along cam OSHA in the early 70's.

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  27. ken bogren

ken bogren

I know I'm having more and more trouble with background noise in restaurants etc as my hearing gets worse, and the ringing is constant, TV all night just to provide a little white noise, seems to help getting to sleep.

This looks interesting.
    https://www.android.com/accessibility/live-transcribe/

chryslerfan55 and bobss396 like this.
  28. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I feel for you and am in the same boat for the same reasons plus a few ! If your hearing is still good , if you're smart , you'll protect it

chryslerfan55 and Boneyard51 like this.
  29. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Had my hearing checked at age 35. The Doc said I never could hear. Been wearing hearing aids ever since. So get checked out by a professional if you can`t hear and buy the good ones. $1500 a piece or more. Don`t cheap out on crappy ones, just a waste of money.

30. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Besides being genetically programmed for the hearing loss that both parents had, I also exposed myself to way too much noise. I've been wearing aids for over 20 years and am now 66. I wish I had known what I know now. I sure would have tried to take better care of my hearing. I also have tinnitus and it sucks.