Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Early Stewart Warner gauge thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pat Pryor, May 13, 2016.

1. fleetside66

fleetside66

Floorboard...thank you for your informative & interesting post on the non S/W gauges. That took you a bit of time. I know this is a S/W thread, but I'm sure no one will nit-pick if I too show another non-S/W gauge, which closely resembles the one that S/W was selling at the time. Note the similarity. This one is an Electric Auto-Lite Co., of LaCrosse, WI. They actually bought Motometer in 1934 & by the end of WWII, became the largest producer in the U.S. of 400 different type of car parts (including gauges).
    [​IMG]

2. Jesmetz

Jesmetz
    from Wisconsin

Big block. Large logo set up I Just finished installing. All work perfect. Thanks fleetside

Attached Files:

Okie Pete, kidcampbell71 and Speed~On like this.
  3. p__moore

p__moore

Great thread, great info Johnny.

4. Back up for more pics. My earliest ones are 50's so nothing to post but do enjoy this thread.

5. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Not sure of the age but I like 'em. mod3 014 (640x480).jpg

6. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

7. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Found these in a donor car I bought that was sitting in the Florida woods for over 40 years. Cleaned them up and they all work great. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466179042.774053.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466179062.267363.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466179086.206920.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1466179111.125621.jpg

8. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

Anyone know anything about this gauge? Also I need one of these if anyone has it in their collection.

image.jpg image.jpg

Okie Pete, kidcampbell71 and Speed~On like this.
  9. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Yep, 32 Packard...that's the rare 2 5/8" size...nice Motormeter gauge.

[​IMG]

10. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

Thanks! Knew it would be a tuff one to find.

11. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

You have any pictures of how they mount in the back?

12. titus

titus

heres the speedos floorbordinit mentioned, i think he got the one he has from me ( his pic is of it on my desk! lol) i got them out of a local junkyard. i used one of them in my auburn panel im setting up for a car
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

13. titus

titus

couple more early sw panels i have
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    bottom 3 gauge panel has the diomond T smooth bezel gauges

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  14. titus

titus

image.jpg
    police special and vac/tach couple other early 5" speedos
    image.jpg
    this panel will get the police special speedo, its a early stewart warner panel that i made a new insert for, ive never seen any liturature on them but it had a sw part number on it. it has the early 2" smooth bezel gauges
    image.jpg
    another set of the 2"rs ive collected

Okie Pete, Lil'Alb, Speed~On and 3 others like this.
  15. titus

titus

image.jpg
    another couple speedos. 35/6 plymouth on left, cant recal what the right one is outa, both prob made by Sw for the car manufacturer.

16. titus

titus

heres a bunch more stuff
    gauges%20012.JPG
    pulled this off the hamb, cant remember whos it is, same style panel as i modified with my 2" smooth gauges and police speedo but mine had a different layout
    downsized_1113031447.jpg
    heres another early panel i had, these are cadi gauges i believe but they are normally in a different panel and layout, i traded it to a freind
    downsized_0430121612.jpg
    heres an early sw panel i rear mounted newer 2-5/8 gauges in, it turned out good and looks older than if they were front mounted, speedo was a bastardizes 33 gm unit

downsized_1205031703a.jpg
    heres an early essex panel
    downsized_1217141528.jpg
    32 olds dash i have, early rear mount gauges made by AC
    ebay%2010-17%20001.JPG
    heres another of the same early hollywood type panel, this is what mine started out like minus any gauges
    MVC-006S.JPG
    heres the beautiful 32 stude dash panel, this had a mix of different brand gauges from the factory, some being SW, i had about 4 of these panels, really regret selling them all

17. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Nice collection dude....

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Yep, I did get it from you. Any clue what it's from?

You've even got the Terraplane speedo to the right of it. There's a pretty neat variation where the light shines thru the face.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  19. titus

titus

yep, thats the tereplane speedo, i stoll the glass and bezel for the speedo in my auburn panel.

i might have known at one time what it was out of but now have forgoten, the junk yard i get stuff from generally wrote on stuff but none of the ones i have here have any writing on it. ill do some digging and see if i can figure anything out.

jeff

20. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Ok, here's one that's a total mystery to me. It's rear mount, little smaller than a 2 3/8" gauge, curved glass and both fuel and oil have electric senders? Anybody seen this one before? JohnnyA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  21. titus

titus

36 ford? they have electric fuel senders

22. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

The one on the right sure looks close to this one...might be the year before or after.
    [​IMG]

Btw...I've posted it before but this site is an invaluable resource for identifying gauge clusters.

https://sites.google.com/site/identifyinginstrumentpanels/

Okie Pete likes this.
  23. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Yeah, that's a really good suggestion it's pretty dead on for the configuration BUT '36 gauges are kinda that goldish color. Maybe a military version?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Better look at it after I gave it a good scrub.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    Okie Pete likes this.
  24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Question: My bud in San Jose (Bonneville Butch) was asking about some 'curved faces' for old S/W winged gauges. (this was in '80, before the 'New Old' gauges came back)
    I suggested watch crystals, so Butch cruised up El Camino Real and stopped at every watch shop from Santa Clara to San Francisco!
    He collected over 30 crystals, all the correct size for S/W 2-1/16" gauges.

How he was able to 'peel' the bezels off (and roll 'em back on) is my question.
    Also, are you guys 'cleaning' the black faces or having them photo-printed (or some other esoteric process) to make them 'new' again?

I have a Stewart-Warner 160 MPH speedo in my F100. Lately it sits on '0', but sometimes jumps up and works for 1/4 mile or so.
    I'm sure it's dirty inside, is there a procedure to dismantle or clean it???

25. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Which speedo? You're usually better off sending it to a speedo shop to have it rebuilt and calibrated.

26. alchemy

alchemy

For a simple trick, pull/pry out the little 1/8" plug in the backside of the speedo if it's there. I don't recall what era they were in, but it's worth a look. If you have one, you can add a couple drops of sewing machine oil in there and give it a spin with a drill and a matchstick.

If no plug is there, at least give a couple drops of 3-in-1 oil to the input of the speedo. Not enough to drown it though.

27. speedshifter

speedshifter

The 8000 rpm 5inch tach with Joseph Weidenhoff Inc on the face was used on Weidenhoff magneto test benches. I have one on the steering column of my roadster. The W&H Ducoil dist spins it at the correct speed. Looks real cool. Greg

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  28. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Back to the top with my shelf o' Stewart...
    image.jpeg

29. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Anyone know who does a good job restoring early winged gauges?

30. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Seattle Speedometer if you have an Instagram look them up