Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Put parts away years ago and now can not find them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Jul 2, 2016.

1. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember when these funny memory-loss stories were about other people. :D

2. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happens to me quite often. Put something away in a specific place so it won't get lost-then can't find it. Or give away a part then have to go buy one again. Also it helps to find the item lost by buying a new one--it will instantly reappear. I lost a complete NOS 40 std grill for a few months. It somehow moved itself in the attic behind some Christmas decorations-found it when taking decorations down for the holidays.

3. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I bought one of those big red tool chests from Harbor Freight. Instead of tools I dedicated the top 2 large drawers for small parts for work in progress. I still lose large things so I started a small spiral notebook and wrote "where Is It?" on the cover, so I can note the places I store things. I'll probably lose that book...

bobss396 and olscrounger like this.
  4. indyjps

indyjps

I keep finding stuff I forgot I had. In the past year. 2 Sets of new sbc pistons, bearing kits, a 750 holley dominator, a box of quadrajets.
    I used to build a lot of engines so those parts make sense. Don't remember what the plan for the dominator was, must been a good deal.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  5. Absolutely! I constantly am finding brand new tools I must have bought at some time but have no memory of it. Actually it is pretty fun, like getting a surprise present.

6. Like my extra Hurst handle in a few posts up... not a clue where it came from. I did lose the white Hurst ball somehow. In my top tool box, I keep a box of cleaned up hardware from disassembling my Ford. In the top drawer, any little piece that is important goes there.

On the Ford project alone I must have 20 hours of looking for lost new parts in the past 2 years. And some of this is big, like a rebuilt alternator or a radiator.

7. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

Happened to me before. I've bought things more than once, only to find it buried on a shelf. I did a mass cleaning few years ago. Sold a bunch of stuff on line and craigslist. All that did was create room to start the cycle all over again.

8. BradinNC

BradinNC

Seems like this has been a regular occurrence since turning 50 5 years ago. If I really need to find it quick, I start cleaning the shop until I find it. Have found duplicate items a few times doing this. It helps to not loan tools or let many people into the shop. I painted a band of green paint on all my wooden handled tools, jack stands,etc. That seems to help too.

9. Jeff Walker

Jeff Walker

Not gonna admit how many times I have looked for a particular part or tool that the visual image I had of it in my brain didn't match with what it actually was when I found it.....

10. pumpman

pumpman

Ya, I can relate to all of these situations, I turn 70 next month, now what the hell was my point? Oh ya, I just remembered I left my beer on the work bench, I think.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think I was expecting them to be as shiny as they were when I stuck them up in the rafters but they fooled me.

12. 5window

5window

I misplaced one of the finished door garnish moldings for my Model A. I looked everywhere for weeks, more than once. Drove my wife near crazy with the pondering. Eventually, my mother-in-law suggested I look in one of the kid's rooms (she left home for college 15 years ag0-comes home 3x a year). Well, that was the dumbest idea of them all. There it was-snuggled down among her Smurf collection on a bookshelf. I still haven't figured that one out.

I should point out that my M-i-l is 91 and hasn't been upstairs on our house maybe more than once in 5 years. But, she is clever.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I hide my own Easter eggs.

14. Hell I can't remember what this post is about !

low budget likes this.
  15. Dapostman

Dapostman

I'll have stuff on a shelf for years and know exactly where it is then I will go through a stage of cleaning up and putting things in a safe place so I wouldn't lose it. I can never find it again.

16. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I do that too.

17. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I'll see a tool that I think is handy and buy one. When I go to put it in my tool box I find one already in the spot I wanted to put it.

18. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I read an article that said that the memory is the second thing to go and I can't remember what it said the first to go is.:(

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Finders fluid! If I drank that stuff, I'd lose myself! :D

Wait, maybe that's what that stuff is for? o_O

Glad you found your caps.

20. I had totally lost the my NOS trunk emblem (in avatar) and NOS parking light bezel, with the box, to my Ford. Not that I needed to use either one right away, but I wanted to show them off. I swore they were in a 10" square post office box. Ripped the garage and house apart. Finally did a grid search of my work bench, looked in EVERY box. They were in with some paint supplies that I had moved out of the house. And I had peeked in that box about 20 times. They were hidden by a stack of paint strainers.

21. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

P A R T S hello.... try whole car should say cars (2) two yes 2,
    rented an old mans back yard garage in San Diego 8 bucks a mo, paid him 50 bucks
    in advance for 6 mo's and then we moved and i F O R G O T where the heCK
    it was (and or his name) nice ol gent ,that i rented a back alley garage from.
    *was it 6 blocks away or only 5 or was it over by uncle bobs house ah fooey*
    NOW the WORST part.... both San Diego running 55 Chevy 2door 6cyl stick cars sedans...
    Oh well i had over a 100 of them anyway(over SEVERAL years 55 56 -n- 57's) ...lol

:cool:

22. jeffd1988

jeffd1988

This is with anything

23. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I found the missing parts now if I could only find the car.

mike bowling likes this.
  24. mike bowling

mike bowling

"I have a great memory, it's just short."
    First Model A I built ,I went out and bought all the door hardware before I even had the body together. Got the body done, and went out and bought it all AGAIN (300 bucks +/-).
    Found the original stuff about 6 months later, so I bought ANOTHER car so I wouldn't feel like an idiot ( didn't work)
    Now I try to stay more organized!
    ( where the hell are my glasses??) DSCN2634.JPG

25. I have this recurring dream that I lose cars. Probably comes from the days where I had 9 cars at one time. Like I know I have this nice '64 Galaxie, just can't find it....

26. ...what were we just talkin about?

27. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I removed the address numbers from my house 20 years and threw them in a box. I intended to purchase new, hip address numbers, but never did. I decided to look for the OE numbers and, shockingly, found them. Since the house is a mid-century house, I want to keep it matching-numbers.

28. And never find them?

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

30. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I got that from a guy at work that calls beer his aiming fluid when bowling so after drinking a couple and finding the parts I now call it finding fluid or what ever the situation calls for.