Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods DAY DREAMING ABOUT THAT NEXT PROJECT, HOW ABOUT YOU?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Since my accident back in February I've had a lot of down time and had a lot of time to think about my next project.

Physically I'm not able to get started right away but that doesn't keep me from daydreaming about it and looking for parts.

I have a prime candidate sitting in the barn,my old '65 Ford F-100,due to a wreck I rebuilt the truck in 1979 and installed a 302 and a 4 speed transmission where the inline 6 and a 3 speed transmission once resided.

I got this truck in 1972 and my twin girls were little they always called the truck SPOT,when they were in the bed of the truck they saw the patch & red primer spot where the Motorola radio antenna hole once was in the top of the cab.

In repairing the truck, I also de- chromed the Custom Cab and added flames (mostly to hid my poor body work).

I drove the truck daily for the next 18 years until the engine started losing power and I started driving my Model A pickup daily from that point on.

So that brings us to this point in time,I'll still be day dreaming for a while but~

I have a new 3.00 center chunk to replace the old 4.11 and a extra 302 under the work bench that I can take to my buddy Jerry for a rebuild and at this point in time I'm not sure if the 4 speed will remain or if I replace it with a automatic,if I do that I will find a original automatic column.

I plan on keeping the 5 x 5.5 wheel pattern and drum brakes,I will update the master cylinder to a dual style.

I also want a set of 5 spoke mags,similar to what Flamed Abone had on his old truck.

Whether I re-install all the trim is still up in the air and after I do a few patch panels the paint will most likely be Kirker Semi-Gloss black like I had my old Deuce pickup.

I like a truck to have a utilitarian fell so a new rubber floor matt will be needed along with a new perforated pinhole headliner like original,the seat will again have a wide roll & pleat red vinyl.

Last but not least,I will remove the gas tank from behind the seat and relocate it under the truck. HRP

2. Sounds like you have a good plan HRP. They are great looking trucks with a little hot rod modification. I always liked Flamedabone's truck even though he didn't. Hope to hear your out in the garage soon making this day dream a reality. See you around S.C.

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Always good to be planning ahead. Sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to do going forward. Get better soon.

Out of the blue, the wife asked me a few weeks ago what I would like to build for myself next. I am currently working on a '32 Plymouth Sedan Convertible for a customer and had not allowed myself much time to think about my next project. Her question woke me up. My '51 F-1 needs some serious chassis work, and I have a '58 MEL 430 sitting on the engine stand, just waiting to be rebuilt . After the Plymouth is out of my shop, it may be time for an improved chassis and driveline for the '51.

I also have a 6-71 hanging on the wall, maybe it is time to build that MEL powered Competition Coupe that would look so nice riding on a trailer behind the Merc Wagon.

Time will tell....

williebill likes this.
  4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the same place right now. Mulling it over-brought wife's 55 home from 6 yr storage and it's about all dialed in. What's next I don't know-have been stuck on 40's (15 to date in the past 10 yrs) but may venture out to something else but have LOTS of 40 parts. I could buy a done car cheaper than building one but the build is the fun part for me.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016

5. Can't go wrong with a truck. Those will always be popular. Myself, I'm not ready to jump into something like my '59, that was a basket case when I got it. It took a lot out of me and I was lucky to have friends that shared my dream.

I'm thinking of a '39 or '40 Ford coupe. '46-48 Fords are pretty nice cars too.

6. Kinda sounds like me,Deuces have been my Kryptonite for the past 25 plus years and I do have a lot of extra parts and I still want to build another roadster.

Building the '54 Ranch Wagon took 9 long years and I don't want another long term project.

The '65 truck will hopefully be built on a budget and within a sensible time frame. HRP

ladyhrp likes this.
  7. ken bogren

ken bogren

I daydream about customizing my 61 f100 short box unibody. I also daydream about having the skills to do the job.

8. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

Danny,,, Sounds like your thinking of doing what i did to my 68 C10 several years ago.
    "It by far is the way to go IMO" Changed it to auto, added A/C and power steering. I drive it just about
    everyday, Most of the time even when i don't need too.
    It hauls everything from T turtle decks to Flatheads, Even use it to pull my boat over to clark hill to go fishing also installed alum. diamond plate in the bed so when it gets a little dirt, just hose it out.
    Go for it !

9. LOL lately I have been day dreaming about my current project. Seems like I help someone or do a daily then I am done for the day. But I am slowly getting better. :D

big duece likes this.
  10. Hell , lm still daydreaming about finishing the two I've got going now . LOL Blue

brett4christ and enloe like this.
  11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Sounds like a good plan.
    You and I and a lot of others got away with flat black on our pre 1940 vehicles.
    But I must admit,
    Anything painted flat black on a 1960 or later looks like gramma in a miniskirt. :)

Take it to a paint shop and let someone throw on a cheap (shiny) acrylic enamel job.

12. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I hear ya, except I have three, one goes back to 1983, one about 1990, and this one was started about 2000.
    My story is like HRP said; too many surgeries, pain tends to be the anti-motivator.

Sorry, this tablet stopped copying photos, so see below if you care.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/cripes-not-another-32-roadster.963108/

13. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I only have one but same here and it doesn't help that it's in storage till our new place is done.

14. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Right now I'm scrounging up parts to swap from a Chevy 350 to a Ford 302 in the Lincoln. Going to change steering and column while the engine is out. Was going to try and put AC in this summer, but when the trans died, so did that idea for now. Maybe next year. Body and paint gonna have to wait until next year, too. Only have limited time to do anything, this work thing keeps getting in the way of fun time. And I'm no good in the heat anymore, 31 years of riding in a AC cooled truck all day have killed that. So, I work an hour or two here and there, not getting much done.

15. Joe,I really didn't give air a second thought but now that you mention it I'll add that to the list. HRP

ladyhrp likes this.
  16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

we all have that dream

seadog likes this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

yup....I've been thinking about fun things I could do with the Edsel after the trip next month...and what to do with my new 28 chevy (which is missing most of the body, so it's a blank slate)

Fun way to pass the time

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

I'm always dreaming. Mine always end up looking like a 60's gasser or altered. I wanna build a period correct model A roadster with dad's old 1955 265 that held the National Record. I wanna use all period engine parts, I have collected an old Engle solid lift cam, a super heavy 45 lb steel flywheel, a polished 357 Edelbrock tripower, dropped 36 axle, a chopped deuce grille, and more crap than I can remember.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  19. modeltford

modeltford

I've been dreaming about the day the new house and shop are done so I can get my 50 Ford out of storage and get back to work on it!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm just dreaming of finishing the one I've got, let alone the next one. :)

HOTRODPRIMER and bobss396 like this.
  21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Down time, is planning time. Researching sources for parts. Saving bits of info for the future. Collecting odds and ends.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I'm working on 3 projects right now and have a 40 pickup that's been waiting for the past 7 years

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Well HRP since daydreaming doesn't cost much I'll play. If I can ever scrape the coinage together I want to build a Model A. Problem is, one minute I want a roadster and the next I want a coupe! Then I think of my Grandsons and want a sedan! As I don't like cross breeding anything it will have to be Ford powered and I do like three pedals. I have paint schemes and colors coming out of my ears! I'll start collecting parts and see where it leads me. Joe

HOTRODPRIMER and enloe like this.
  24. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

What a coincidence, I had to make a trip to lexington (Ky) today and fell in behind a early to mid 60s long bed f100 that could have been called spot, It was the factory kind of a cream color tan with red primer spots but not a bad lookin old truck, and that got me to talkin about a pretty nice old 66 I had back in the early 90s as my daily. It was two tone blue and white (new paint)with the factory v8 and 3 on the tree and late model fancy factory wheels of the time, and the best I can remember I think the front cab mounts were even good in it:D but anyway.......Im generally not a ford guy but have made several exceptions over the years. I like em all, just some better than others;)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well I am a card carrying member of the more projects than I will ever finish in my lifetime club. At least according to my wife who is always telling me that I am getting old and according to her headed for the "home".
    The dream, planning and drawing right now centers around a garage to work in. I'm at the point where buying poles to build a pole building a few at a time and build as I go is looking more interesting. The main reason I don't get anything done is that I don't have a real place to work.
    Vehicle wise as far as project rigs the current pecking order is
    1. the 28 chevy framed boat tail roadster that hopefully highly resembles a late 20's early 30's Indy two seater when it hits the road.
    2. The 48 needs to get done once and for all and that definitely takes an indoor work area to accomplish. I've got most of the parts but no place to work except in the gravel driveway.
    3. I need to finish the 71 GMC that I am in the middle of putting a Cad 500 in as it is the parts chasing, hot rod towing do it all rig.

4. The more than rusty 31 Model A Victoria. It's another one I have gathered a lot of parts for but don't have a place to finish. The chassis may be finished long before the body is though.
    I plan to retire in January and should be able to devote more time to some of the projects.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Guess the daydreaming stops when parts start to arrive. Starting to educate myself on 1938-47 Ford Pickups. A solid cab and chassis from any of those years and I'd be on my way. Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Just after I sold off everything except my 34 coupe, I bought an O.T. supercharged Gran Prix to play with BUT! What I really want is a late 30s to 'late 50s pickup. Maybe I'll put "trade" signs in the G.P.
    I'm thinking a jail-bar ford or an A.D. gmc or chevy....got enough stuff to build a KILLER 301 SBC for it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Being on the other side of the planet for the last few months means a lot of daydreaming. While I would love to get another project (and I still spend an inordinate amount of time on Craigslist and other places) I'm mostly emboldened to finish the line of projects I have waiting for my return.

Gotta get the Stude truck back on the road, followed by the Model A (daydreaming of TRoG '17), and then new paint and body work on the '39. See, I don't need another project...

...but I wouldn't refuse one either

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    HOTRODPRIMER and enloe like this.
  29. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I am trying to get the ambition to start on my truck after taking 9 months off. I hit a few road bumps, but I am looking forward to getting back on it. Still collecting parts, right now I am held up on what gas tank.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I believe this is a problem with all of us but then again daydreaming is half the fun sometimes. It all goes together a whole lot easier in our minds. No skinned knuckles no aggravation and ho harsh words are uttered.

I am always on the lookout for parts for future projects stuff to sock away or to trade for something cool.

I have infected my son he is getting stuff together for a T-bucket build and he is already talking about what he wants to build next:)

My wife says "oh great here we go again you are definitely your father's son".

oldsjoe and HOTRODPRIMER like this.