Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Official 2016 Meltdown Drags Thread - What are you doing to get ready?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okiedoker, Nov 23, 2015.

1. powrshftr

powrshftr

The motor only cares that the damper and flex plate are compatible.As long as you have the 28oz damper on there to match the flex plate (which I guarantee you do,or it would have shook you right out of the car right off idle),then you're good.Just grab a new starter and a new 28oz flex plate and you're back in business.
    And yes,this is a perfect time for a looser convertor!:)

Scott

2. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

I did replace the damper quite a while back. The old one rubber was all bad and she really wobbled. So I did buy a new oem damper for the 90 5.0L. It's a 50oz. I'll keep y'all in the loop as we get shit rounded up. Heading for the parts house now........

3. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Also I've always had a vibration at idle.... But yeah I get what your saying. If the flexplate was indeed wrong it would of shook itself to death by now right?

4. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1467734344.780858.jpg
    New flex plate on the left. Old one was a goddamn 28oz!!!! Went to the parts place I bought it and they looked it up to confirm. Now to put this shit back.
    Oh and we got this little number as well....... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1467734444.412202.jpg
    Crossing fingers this shit goes back together.

5. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

There is only one way to learn that a gas gauge doesn't work...

rawcjw19, Dog_Patch and powrshftr like this.
  6. powrshftr

powrshftr

Don't even get me started....Lol

7. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

I told my boy after the gas gauge.and the spindle mishap.we are putting a for sale sign under the seat that way when we have trouble on the side if the road we can throw it in the window and people driving by will just think we are looking at it. :)

55belairx2, Gammz and powrshftr like this.
  9. powrshftr

powrshftr

Why didn't I think of that?lol

Deuced Up! likes this.
  10. powrshftr

powrshftr

DeucedUp that looks really slick.
    Nice job,you've come a long way in a short time!:)

Scott

11. powrshftr

powrshftr

I can't believe you guys could actually drive the car like that without shaking the fillings out of your teeth!lol!
    Wait til everything matches up...You'll think you're driving a hybrid it will be so smooth by comparison!:)
    I'm really looking forward to seeing the car and saying hello!:)

Scott

12. Gammz

Gammz
    from Lincoln Ne

Well shit!!! Got it all put in and now you can't even turn it by hand to bolt up the new stall converter!!!! Apparently speedways 157 tooth flex plate won't jive with a 12" convertor. And to top it off I can't get the damn converter out of the transmission. Ugh!!!!!! I read on speedways site that the flexplate won't work with a 12" converter. When I set it all together at the counter it looked ok to me.
    Now after a full day in the hot ass garage my son and I have a really pissed off attitude. .
    Getting good at getting that transmission out tho. I think summit may have came thru for us. They have a B&M one that the online guru says will work for us. It's not a SFI rated one like speedways. Maybe that's the reason for that unique offset shit.
    Ya got any ideas man? We are gassing up the struggle bus....

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You should always check your converter depth too the flexplate stand out on the back of the block.
    And some times on a Ford the drain plug(in the converter) only fits one or two ways to the flywheel.

14. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

You may check with Midwest converters in Rockford.they were great to deal with over the phone

15. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

sorry, hate to be a bummer, but the crankshaft does indeed care what weight counterbalance it is, the crankshaft counter weights are different, can't simply swap balancer and flexplate/flywheel combo. it will shake like crazy. we run into this almost every time we balance a ford crankshaft. if you have the wrong oz. counterbalance parts it will just about throw the crank out of the machine. we keep one of each to test with. .hope that helps, and not hurt any feelings.

loudbang and Gammz like this.
  16. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

here is my hot-rod.. i just love old HEMI's wish I had me a 327 about now.
    man this thing has been a TEST> !! wow!!
    spun two cam bearings,and can't locate any race bearings for it, so I'm align-honing the cam bores +.010" to fit a +.020" oversize Dart cam bearing and ground camshaft to to big block chevy bearings ( 1.950" vs. 2.00") oh yeah, now the lobes are even with the cam bearing journals.. (lucky) well, and of course they "forgot" to send them last week. Now it's a hurry,? do you want them overnighted? give me your credit card info grrrrrrrrrrr, And I already know, NOBODY HAS EVER HAD THIS PROBLEM>..EVER in the history of man, ever.
    So much for a zillion pounds of valve spring pressure, and driving the crap out of it..Squirrel makes it look so easy ! LOL
    I have a TITAN oil pump, 100+ psi all the time. that didn't help. aligning up the cam bores and honing them to size should fix it..
    DSCN0017.JPG

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
    loudbang likes this.
  17. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

wow,steve your problems make mine look little. Sorry I have been bothering you about my carbs now.

18. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

no worries !
    i would love to help !!
    keep in touch,and let's get that thing going !!!
    you're not bothering me at all .
    cheers

loudbang and 30dodgeboy like this.
  19. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

sort of wish i would have built a "real hemi" (426 style) now, i could have built like 15 of them by now ($$$) LOL
    hey the thing is 60 years old !! WOW

Dog_Patch likes this.
  20. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

If we both get them there it would make a good picture lined up together. I have decided to trailer mine, looking for hotels instead of the campground as we speak. Any recommendations on rockford hotels? We are looking at the days inn,lyford rd

21. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

4gth4h.jpg we got a room i forget where it is though, crap..
    hey think they will let me bring this ???
    it runs 14's LOL

loudbang and rawcjw19 like this.
  22. ...try this nice motel in Oregon Illinois, 15 minute drive south of the strip on either side of the river...mite be full already.
    http://www.chateaulodge.com/

23. Okiedoker

Okiedoker
    from Wisconsin

We have been staying at the Fairfield Inn in Rockford. It is new, clean and right next to the freeway. Plus it is close to a bunch of stores and restaurants if needed.

24. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

yeah,that's where we're staying.been there last 4 3 years ,nice and close.

25. powrshftr

powrshftr

I've gotta disagree on the 28 vs 50 oz balance Steve.
    I ran 28oz stuff on my factory assembled,standard bore 90 5.0L motor because that's what I had laying around the shop,and I shifted it at 6600rpm every time I got the chance for two years.
    It ran like a champ until one of my cheap rocker studs broke after a Friday night at the track.
    I'd still be running that motor if I hadn't got greedy for horsepower:)

Ps: Looking forward to seeing you and hanging out this year Steve!:)

Scott

26. tricky steve

tricky steve
    from fenton,mo.

o.k.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  27. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Dumb Question, was the torque converter properly seated in to the pump?

My buddy had the same trouble ( tightened the bell bolts ) couldn't turn it. ( damaged the pump )
    it was not all the way in the pump.:oops:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  28. Johnny Wishbone

Johnny Wishbone

Hey Scott, I'm just curious, as a guy that has people pay me to balance stuff, what about 86 and up Chevy 350's that come with no weight on the front and a weighted flywheel? The 28 and 50 oz most assuredly makes a difference, sometimes the shake isn't horrible when in the car going through motor mounts and whatnot, but it's there.

29. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you sir. Looks and sounds like you are making great strides on the Shaker as well. But to be honest, you nailed it a few posts back...the time crunch and pressure we put on ourselves to hit a deadline can easily take the fun out of it. I was thinking the exact same thing right when I read it. So this week Dad and I are trying to find the fun again. Screw it if it not perfect. Author Henry James said, "Excellence Does Not Require Perfection." As long as it is safe and fast let the rest just go along for the ride. We are ready roll!

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am only happy when I am working on a car (some more than others) so there never any stress.

Tickety Boo and loudbang like this.