Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hilborn efi conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 68l78, Jul 4, 2016.

1. 68l78

68l78
    from Minnesota

Has anyone had any experience with bds. Converted Hilborn efi? I bought one, not sure if I should run it or not. Or what to use for ecu? Any [​IMG][​IMG]input would be great ![​IMG]

Mark Hinds likes this.
  2. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Yes it's worth IT !!! For primary street use,
    If drag only mechanical .
    Ecu , Holley or Fast
    Underneath nitrous oxide ???

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

What is all that stuff on the bottom. N2O? I would contact Hilborn for the parts you are missing. I guess you bought this thing as is from someone other than Hilborn?

4. squirrel

squirrel

you can use any ECU you want to, they don't care what engine they're on.

Hidden nitrous, that could be fun

5. A local guy out my is having Hilborn do the conversion on a set-up for his nailhead. Not cheap but should be cool in the RPU he's building.

6. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

A customer has a Hilborn unit on a 392 in his T-Bird, one issue was a constant vacuum source, Trying to draw vacuum from just one runner wasnt enough signal/volume, wound up building a canister and hiding it under the valley cover

7. Awwww come on, that unit for a small block will never work. Better just send it to me and I'll convert it (to my small block). :D :D :D

I know guys tat have run them and really liked them. Most of them use a stand alone after market ECU. Once you understand the basics of fuel maps and ignition you can tune them to the gnats ass with a lap to and go from cruise to the strip in a matter of moments.

Cool beans man. :cool:

hendelec likes this.
  8. 68l78

68l78
    from Minnesota

I believe it is plumbed for nitrous. I talked to hilborn on the manifold. He just a little unsure how the Holley ecu would work with the individual injector lines?
    Claimed that's why they went to a fuel rail type system.

My only other issue is where to mount all electronics. Hoping I can stuff that in the trunk . I don't have any under dash room or inside the car.

Thanks for the input !!

[​IMG]

mad mikey and wraymen like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

The electronics is a problem on a car like that. Which is one reason I don't have any electronics on my AWB car...they just dont' look right. Fortunately, it's easy to get carbs and points to work well. Mechanical injection, is a bit more of a challenge!

10. 68l78

68l78
    from Minnesota

The car had mechanical inj. But was strictly a race car. Reason I bought this efi, you get the look but should work nice! Id like to drive on street, but just like you say, I hate the look of wires and electronics on a car like this.

I bought this manifold, then started wondering if u should go a diff route, I just love that 8 stack look!

11. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"A customer has a Hilborn unit on a 392 in his T-Bird, one issue was a constant vacuum source, Trying to draw vacuum from just one runner wasnt enough signal/volume, wound up building a canister and hiding it under the valley cover"

I'm around a shop that I've seen do 3 conversions. A Hilborn on a sbc, an Algon on a 409, and Weber throttle bodies on a sbf using an early "cobra" Weber manifold. All needed a similar canister to get the vacumn signal. I don't pretend to know why, but I think it's a question worth asking. They ran without it, but weren't much more streetable than a mechanical unit.

12. call andy starr he is the head of electronic sales for hilborn. his number is on their site. east coast office.

13. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

14. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's pretty much ready to go

In the first picture (underneath)
    Use the skinny lines manifold for a MAP sensor - Looks all plumbed to the top already!
    Keep the other one for Nitrous...if you run out of horsepower.
    The Injectors are plumbed and ready to go...
    Thermostat housing done!
    Temp sensor bung in the rear stack...
    I don't see throttle position sensor anywhere...
    + Need Electric fuel pump!

Check out https://www.diyautotune.com/ They have all you need!..
    Here's mine...
    340LA.jpg
    runs like a dream!

mad mikey likes this.
  15. PKap

PKap
    from Alberta

I'm converting one myself to see if I can do it. Using a tpi unit to scavenge parts. Just needing to convert things from a MAS to a TPS. The rest should be usable. I know a guy who can work out kinks on the electronic end. I'm going to try to hide everything as much as I can. The challenge for me is always to try to get something that works as good, but not pay the retail. 5k+ for a Hilborn or Borla, and too billet and efi looking. Trying to build one that still looked mechanical was what I'm taking as my challenge. This one on a friends over bored aluminum 409 was custom built by Hilborn, and should run as good as it looks.
    . ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1467775749.314278.jpg

mad mikey likes this.
  16. you still need a pump and pre and post filter. a good return line and large vent are needed. then you need a lap top then a good tuner. the best way to tune is on a chassis dyno.

17. sunbeam

sunbeam

Because it's a speed density system getting vacuum for the MAP sensor off of one port is not ideal. It is not a plug and play system

18. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

There was a guy at the HRR Bowling Green that had one on a mid year Vette and had a couple units with him for sale. Very cool set up I remember it having a TPS and fuel rails and he said it ran one O2 sensor. I don't remember much else other than I wanted one too. I went back to get his card and he was gone. Maybe someone else knows who he is.

19. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your intake DOES HAVE plumbing that you can use as a manifolded vacuum source already!
    Yes! O2 sensor really helps you tune under all condition...or run closed loop!...
    ...It's really not that hard to tune!!
    And yes EFI is highly recommended on the street!
    A bypass pill / variable pressure pump is more or less a ON / OFF Racing System...
    There is guys out there that are really good at tuning Mechanical Systems but they're still a thrill to drive... (that's what it's all about!)
    Good Luck!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016