Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Coleman Coupe gets some R&R

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ct1932ford, Nov 12, 2013.

1. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

yes, I agree. very nice car. I like everything about it. especially the fenders

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  2. Hallucination:confused:

3. flatty_

flatty_
    from TX

whatever you drank bobwop I'll take the same ;)

4. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

FENDERS I thought the Coleman coupe was one of those Ford economy cars sold in 1932 when fenders were an option not standard equipment !

5. ScooterCO

ScooterCO
    from Parker, CO

I can tell you guys that there was a set of fenders for this car restored by Don. Long ago sold to a fellow hotrodder that really needed a set of 32 fenders and was willing to pay. Don was always working on something. I remember him buying up old carbs at a swap meet only to be selling them at the next, having rebuilt them and looking brand new. He was the quintessence hotrodder with the attitude of do it yourself.
    A very inspiring influence!

ct1932ford likes this.
  6. Cool to hear these old stories about the car.:cool: I can tell you this coupe will never see fenders as long as I own it!:p
    Thanks for the information.

Outback likes this.
  7. This has been a great read, admittedly, I cringed when I read the title. All that came to mind was what horrible things were to befall Don's Coupe. Glad to see you appreciate what you have, which is ALOT, and great to know the 5W is in good hands.

No hijacking intent, thought it might be nice to see Don in action, he was Helluva Hot-Rodder.

Here are a few pics of Don, right at 15 years ago, giving the then "youngsters" at Custom Auto, a lesson in chopping a '32 5W. My Five-Window to be exact, and the last Coupe he ever chopped. He also dropped the V8 Headlisght bar on our Deuce, with a jig he made in the late '50's / early '60's, Custom Auto now has the jig now if memory serves.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. Great to see the photos of your 32 and Don working.:cool: I was talking with Neal East earlier today about Don and some history of the Coupe. Don was one hell of a Hot Rod Guy from all accounts. Glad your cringe was in vain.:rolleyes:

9. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D:eek: Hi Mark.Beautiful coupe.You done right by it.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

ct1932ford likes this.
  10. Thanks Leo!

11. ..... well ... you did a damned good job with that car. It's one of my favorites. Not just the car, but all of your family and interests too. It's good to be you ... and in so doing, it's been a lot of fun to be me. Thank you man.

ct1932ford likes this.
  12. j3harleys

j3harleys

Hate to see you get rid of the coupe but I understand I'm thinking of cutting back to. I'm sure the next guy will love the coupe as it is and should always be. Glad you got to enjoy it for a while

13. pumpman

pumpman

Hope it stays in the HAMB family. I too have been lately sole searching on thinning out the herd and making it simpler. I know how you feel.

14. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

She's sooooo nice.

15. brady1929

brady1929

No don't sell it! It is an awesome hot rod!

16. clem

clem

Neat car ! I hope the future owner appreciates it's history.

17. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

whawhaagh.

18. j3harleys

j3harleys

Wish sale was pending to me. Your going to kick your self in the butt. But I understand.

19. Well it has been awhile! I may try and get it back when I get the one I am working on up and running. Trade?:rolleyes:
    Yes kicked myself.:confused:

20. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

Well damn mark!

21. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Mark it's not like it had red rims or anything.
    What's a guy have to do get your nice sketch artistry applied to their build, even if it's not finished? Wyatt

22. Sent you a PM!

23. flatcrazy

flatcrazy

One of my favorites!

ct1932ford likes this.
  24. In case you have not seen my other recent posts I did get the Coleman Coupe back! :cool:

IMG_8872.JPG Even the wife is smiling!:rolleyes:

-Brent-, Outback, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  25. pumpman

pumpman

Ya know what they say, if momma ain't happy no one is happy. Bet you're smiling too.

ct1932ford likes this.
  26. She always liked this one! I think it is because that is what I had when we got married!

Outback and Runnin shine like this.
  27. I can't believe it has been almost 8 years since the above photo. Well I did sell it again and you I wish I never did. You think I would have learned my lesson.
    I have had a couple of five windows since selling the Coleman Car. One I did lots of work to and decided it was to nice an original bodied car to make a chopped high boy out of. Finished it and sold it. Then last September I bought another stock bodied five window. It had Brookville fenders etc., so they went first. Then converted it back to a trunk car. It was a trunk car that someone converted to a rumble seat. I installed a louvered deck lid and hood tops, with 25 louver sided panels. Well that was the start. I am now at the point of driving it to see if any other mechanical issues exist. I have been through just about everything on the car. There is a thread on here of much of the work. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/posts/15138572/
    So far I know the transmission needs rebuilding. Before that gets done I want to drive it a bit. Then I will disassemble the car for painting. Black of course! What I'm trying to decide is weather to chop or not. If I do it will be 4-1/2 or 5".
    Big decision since interior nicely finished.
    I have had many 32 five windows and the only one's I wish I kept were the Coleman 32 and my first five window build from the 60's. Yes, I should have listened to my wife. :oops:Hey, only twice in 52 years of marriage. Not too bad! :p
    IMG_5635.jpeg

28. slug

slug

I'm for cutting it like the Coleman. That car still hangs on my wall. Wish the real one was in my garage. It was traditional all the way imo

ct1932ford, Outback and akoutlaw like this.
  29. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

I vote for chopping it! 4" is more to my liking!

ct1932ford likes this.