Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Good hot rod parts at Indiana farm sale

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corndog, Jun 25, 2016.

1. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Spent all day in the hot sun today at a farm sale that attracted buyers from all over the country. There were four barn-find Corvettes and about 20 Mopars from the 60s. There was also a Henry J and a 46 Ford convertible. Everything was pretty much project material. I wanted to buy a '55 Chrysler 300 original 331 hemi with dual 4-barrel carbs but didnt get it done. What I did buy was a rotten, falling apart 1960s "Starflite" wooden-hull inboard speed boat. "What?" you say. Check the pictures and you will see why I was glad to get the boat for a bargain...might even make a little when I get done selling/scrapping all the brass parts from the hull. The 331 hemi sold for $2200 and it was stuck. High bid for the day was a '63 Corvette coupe with fuel injection for $35K. The 46 Ford convertible sold for $4200. Didnt keep track on Mopars. Bought three 40 ford wheels, one with original paint for $6. That was my big bargain!!!

Attached Files:

Squablow, Texas Webb and Stogy like this.
  2. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Where in Indiana was it? If it was in the southern part of the state I would have gone because I love those old car and parts auctions....

3. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

It was in the northern part of the state just east of Elkhart

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

5. Jeremy Jalopies

Jeremy Jalopies

jesus!! Im in fort wayne. I wouldve met ya there just for that instrument panel

BradinNC likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

The pinstripe pattern on the Ensign panel is rather rare. Might be they were mostly found on boats. Nice save!

7. Can't say I've seen vertical ribs on the SW panels before - looks really good. How much was the boat?

Steve

8. alchemy

alchemy

I've got one Ensign panel that did come from a boat with the pinstripes (I actually removed it from the boat dash myself). I've also got a Bos'n panel with pinstripes, but I didn't see the original vehicle. But I do know that most Bos'n panels were installed in boats and industrial equipment.

9. Nice dash panel, and boats are a good source for some neat items.

10. Squablow

Squablow

Great score on the boat cluster. Looks like there was a 57 or 58 Plymouth convertible there, any idea what that went for? Any other pics? Would love to hear more about what was there and what prices were like.

How rough was the fuelie Corvette?

11. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I paid $200 for the entire boat. Scrapped the hull with the engine block and the trailer and got $176.

No other pictures, sorry! That was a 57 Ply convert and it went for $10,500. There was also a 46 Ford convert that was missing the seats and the dash was rough, had bad floors. I thought it was worth about $1200 and it sold for $4200. The '63 fuelie vette sold for $35K, the '63 hardtop with correct rebuilt 327 motor out of the car sold for $25,200. The complete 70 LT-1 vette sold for $25K and the 70 Vette with correct LT-1 engine out of the car and apart sold for $16,500. Nothing went cheap IMO but the boat! All cars there were projects. I dont think anything ran.

Squablow likes this.
  12. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Dash now hangs from the ceiling of my shop with a few other trinkets

Attached Files:

13. Squablow

Squablow

Looks good up there, glad it was saved, and the scrap damn near paid for it! One of my all time best auction purchases was at an auction where stuff seemed to be going for incredibly high dollars. Once the day wore on, people just left, and at the end, it was just me and a few other guys standing around. It pays to hang around until the end for bargains. Was the boat one of the last items, or was just no one else interested in it?

14. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

The garage art looks great corndog!
    That large cast V8 on the wall is super cool, where did u buy it?

15. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

The boat was the very last item sold at that auction. I knew I would get it cheap if there were no other hot rodders there. But there was one guy (there always is!) who was a hot rodder and he bid to $175. But I can't complain about the price.

That cast aluminum V-8 is a replica of an original 1934 V-8 that I have that once hung on a Ford showroom wall. I used my original to make a mold and have some re-cast from aluminum. I sell them for $75 plus shipping if you want one. They are very detailed and are 24" tall. I have about 5 left. The one in the picture here is the original Ford showroom V-8

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
    droppedstepside likes this.
  16. killbilly

killbilly

The Indiana Auto Trader has most of the auto/farm/estate auctions advertised every week