Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Trog 2016 official thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bobby Green, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

I saw your coupe yesterday at LARS. Very cool!

:cool:

2. ghalperin

ghalperin

Dennis,
    Thanks. I plan on flat towing to Pismo, so for a trial run, I used my old school tow bar and towed it to just south of the 10 Freeway and then drove it into LARS. It actually towed really well. It tracked straight as an arrow and I could barely feel it back there. I counted 6 broken sleds on the way home and was glad to be towing it and not joining them in the 100+ heat.

[​IMG]

kevinwalshe and bali-rod like this.
  3. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

B
    tt

4. From the Race of Gentlemen website. Submissions for TROG Pismo are due by Aug 1. They won't even make decisions about entries until after the submission deadline. And even at that point, only the selection committee of the Oilers will know when all the slots are filled. Have Patience. It might be worth a polite inquiry to make sure they have received your submission, since emails with attached photos (you did attach photos right?) might be waylaid by a spam filter. However, I would not spam their email inbox with multiple status inquiries, that won't win you any friends on the selection committee.

(Just my personal experience and advice.)

Tedders and ELD like this.
  5. 55olds88

55olds88

hope to make Pismo this year, its a great little town.

6. Ricky Rocket

Ricky Rocket

Sounds elitist.

WiredSpider likes this.
  7. Muttley

Muttley

Good.................keeps out the inappropriate cars.

8. Agreed. And I would love to run and I have an inappropriate (but close) car!!

9. Not elitest, just focused.

No different than a university or college having certain guidelines for acceptance. The ability to pay the admission fee does not guarantee acceptance.

Tedders likes this.
  10. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Any good camping spots (or beach camping) in Pismo? We're planning a family road/camping trip in the '39 Tudor from Seattle to LA down the PCH coinciding with TRoG-West.

My Model A won't be done this year, but gotta scout the field for '17, you know...

11. Go to this link and look up "North Beach Campground" or "Oceano Campground Pismo State Beach"
    The North Beach Campground will be part of a "Special Event" for TROG.
    parks.ca.gov

12. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Attention: North Beach Campground will be unavailable for camping from October 13th through October 16th due to a Special Event. For more information about this event, please visit http://www.theraceofgentlemen.com.

13. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

Hey there, does anybody know what the entry fee is if your car is accepted to race? I've searched the thread and the trog website and can't find it. (Sent trog an email too) Also, will the entry fee include a Machanic or just the driver? I see that question was asked earlier with no answer. Maybe it's a "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" but I hope not.
    Thanks for the help, Johnny

14. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

No need to answer folks.^^^^^^^I just got an email from the trog folks. For those wondering, $200 entry fee for car and driver only.
    Johnny

15. Elrod

Elrod

Just a comment on the "sounds elitist" mention...

For racing purposes and the fact that we usually have about 8 hours of beach time and a finite amount of sand that we can fit vehicles on. We can only accept so many vehicles to participate. We also are being contacted by people from around the world who want to participate.

I know that we've built a present day culture where "everyone gets a chance" and "all the kids get a trophy even if you won or lost" and this is not that kind of event.

There are only a set number of slots because we want everyone to have a chance to go down the beach a few times. If we let every entry in, then everyone will maybe go once. That's no fun and participants will say, "that was terrible"

So, you have to stand out. In life, it's good to strive to be the best. You have to stand out in a job interview. Athletes have to out perform to be on the starting line up and play on game day. We want to create a top notch event. We want to continue to have the participants feeling like they are a part of something special. At Wildwood, the participants are also keeping the show going because they feel like it's special. We like those people!!

So, put your best foot forward. We thank everyone for your enthusiasm. Please understand that we can only fit so many racers on the beach. Know that if you aren't selected to try to break your car going fast on the beach that you can still come in your old car, be a part of the event, have a killer time at a car event that everyone thought could never happen next to the ocean in California, and be a part of the happy, I can't believe this is happening hot rod family of true enthusiasts!

See you all at TROG my friends!!! :)

16. CCRSTEAL32

CCRSTEAL32

I've asked the question before, no pressure here, but we have spectator tickets and would drive one of our hotrods to the event. Any special parking area off the sand for spectators with hot rods? I know there will be dozens, if not hundreds of spectators that will drive a hot rod, and not be part of the racing participants. Since I live in the Central Coast area, parking around Pismo Beach is a problem, especially if you don't want to drive out on the sand and salt.
    Any ideas? Yes, I could leave the hot rod home and drive the POS, but that wouldn't be nearly as much fun...........

17. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

18. LBCD

LBCD

Also interested in any parking available...thanks!

Sent from my QMV7A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

biggeorge likes this.
  19. Boon BA

Boon BA

Well Said /\ /\
    Drove 7 hrs in my '30 Coupe and parked on the beach to watch the other guys race and loved it. Now I know what their expectations are and building a roadster to meet those standards. Everybody wins.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just checked the tide charts for Pismo Beach on the 15th and 16th.
    Saturday morning High tide is at 09:48 while the low tide is at 4:13 aka 16:13
    [​IMG]

Sunday: high is at 10:23 and low is at 5.01 or 17:01
    [​IMG]
    that means somewhat late starts both days as the tide has to go out a ways before there is a reasonable amount of wet sand.

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well at least enough to race two wide on and have a bit of extra room between the cars and the water. That is the reasonable amount I was thinking about.

22. Elrod

Elrod

Racing will be starting later in the day around 11:30 - Noon and going into the evening. There are going to be some amazing sunset photos, so don't fill up those cameras completely all at the beginning! :)

23. Elrod

Elrod

Absolutely drive your old tin. There is going to be pre 64 parking out on the sand. You will be kicking yourself if you leave your hotrod at home and don't have the opportunity to enjoy it around town and be parked with the others.

CrazyUncleHarry likes this.
  24. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

25. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Just installed a camera mount on this and customer leaving for Pismo this morning

100_2395.JPG 100_2396.JPG

26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

pics - yes, need lots of pics

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well that didn't work. I am Parked across from the g42 car at the motel.

30. ghalperin

ghalperin