Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hey Banger Guys, have a question for you

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D.N.D., Jun 30, 2016.

1. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Do you think that a flathead crank will be close to fitting in model B block, with the mains close to lining up

My buddy would like put one together if possible

He would like to have a 90 degree banger, like those Yamaha R1 bikes have

Thanks DND

2. Is this a trick question????? or just a plain stupid one?

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

YES hahaha

4. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

This is a serious question as my friend want's to have a 90 degree crank in a model B block, so that is why i'am asking

We are just thinking it over and it would have one rod on each rod throw, with two spacers one on each side to center the rod and connect the two oil holes with a grove in the center

It just might work and he want's to give it a try if possible, you never know ?

DND

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

No chance. Now lets think about this a little. Bangers fire every 180 degrees. On mine 1 and # 4 are up at the same time. You could get a cam to make it fire both every 360 degrees. You want to make an odd fire engine? Why? If you just wanted to make something different with no redeeming social value, you could maybe fire # 1 and 180 degrees fire #2 and 3. then 180 later fire #4. Then wait 360 to fire #1 again. or something like that. What would the firing order be for this thing? you would have one up. One down. and two in the middle. One going up and one going down. You could fire all four in one revolution and then make dead turn.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  6. Even if it would fit physically, you'd be decreasing the stroke by 1/2 inch.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

8. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Rich

Have you heard or seen one of those Yamaha R 1 bikes , as that is what they have a 90 degree crank and do they haul butt and sound trick too

My friend Mike wants to make a B block run like a R1, so what the heck why not as he wants to have a bent crank banger

DND

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put in a R1 engine bet it would run like one and sound that way too. If you want some real power put in a Hayabusa, everyone else seems to be using them. Maybe a turbo too.

10. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

This will be a real low buck test deal, if it can be done

Will have to join the Ford forum to see what that Miller fellow did with a Chevy v8 crank

11. somebody needs a visit to Bellview..and D.N.D.say "Hello" to Mr Miller while your there

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Don't know anything about an R1. I have the idea that 90 degree crank in a model A may not duplicate the results. But who cares. If you guys want to try. More power to you. Post a video when it's running.

13. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Rich

It will be interesting to see how far Mike takes his idea, just trying to lend a hand

DND

14. Magnus B

Magnus B

Hello

I have been wanting to do th exact same thing. I have some pics (sorry about the mess) of a Mercury crank in Model B blokck. It's just a junk block so I machined the rear and middle bearing journal to make the crank go in. no precision work at all. And as you might see I did nothing to the bore of the journals. But it does fit and the rod journals are not that far of from the cylinders centerlines. It was a long time ago but as I remember cyllinder 2 and 3 a pretty much spot on and 1 and 4 are maybe 1/4" of. I was going to use Pontiac 1936-37 six cylinder connecting rods with a 2" journal and using a Merc crank and offset grinding it would give me a stroke of 4.125" which would be just correct since those rods are a bit longer than Model A/B rods. Using model B rods I think you could get a 4.25" stroke. Of course I don't know if it would work to grind the crank that much but that's another question.

Great to see the build on the Fordbarn. Offsetting the mains bolts and making a block to use hydraulic lifters are other things I have been thinking about.

//Magnus

Attached Files:

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Looks a lot better than I imagined.

16. wright

wright
    from illinois