Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 Chevy Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Jul 2, 2016.

1. bchctybob

bchctybob

Hey Jim, there's a '27 Chevy roadster body and fenders advertised this month in our local classified rag for $1500. I know, kinda pricey but you never know what people may bargain for.
    I also know a guy with an Olds 3 port head he might part with. He had a complete motor at one time, he may still have it. PM me if anything sounds interesting.

2. squirrel

squirrel

thanks, but I'm not in spending mode yet....

els likes this.
  3. Babyearl

Babyearl

Jim, I have a couple heads that may work for you,,I need to check them for cracks. If one is fair shape the price would be you pay the freight. If you are interested my address is [email protected].

4. squirrel

squirrel

wow, thanks for the offer! I will be driving across Texas in September, and by then I should have a better idea what I"m going to do with this thing.

els likes this.
  5. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, now I know what you´ll be driving for Drag Week next time, hahaha

jari12 likes this.
  6. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Maybe you could make some form of monical windscreen.

squirrel likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

like this...they are cute, I wonder how well they work?

[​IMG]

els and BradinNC like this.
  8. bchctybob

bchctybob

Studying the photos I see seven cylindrical objects in the engine compartment. I recognize a starter and generator, maybe a heat exchanger on the down pipe from the exhaust manifold but what are all the rest of them?
    Also, I like that sunburst impression in the firewall, reminds me of the big V8 Rotten Leonard pressed into his Model A firewall and very appropriate considering where you live.

9. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe almost as good as a set of glasses? Maybe you could even get them curved if you can´t see good enough:)

squirrel likes this.
  10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

DSCN0118.JPG DSCN0119.JPG I set together a mock up of one of my 28 Chevys. Your project has stirred me. Slightly. It will probably pass.

Andrew Mccann, kiwijeff and bct like this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

Oh, come on Rich, it's just a little bit of work left on yours!

I pulled the rear end cover, and the transmission top cover. The shifter was stuck in reverse, and it was obvious that water could get in there easily, so I was dreading it. But it turns out it's not as bad as I though it would be. The trans was full of water, but there was a bit of oil in the bottom, too. The shifting gears both slide, I was able to get it into neutral, and the rear wheels now turn! That will make getting it off the trailer a bunch easier. The ring gear doesn't appear to have much rust on it, either.

I'm debating trying to get a title for it....bit of a pain in AZ, have to go bonded, and since the car's serial number was on a tag on a piece of wood on the floor or seat, that is long gone, the number game will be interesting. There is a legible number stamped on the motor, and there's the body tag on the firewall, very legible with the Job and Body numbers. If I have any wild fantasies about being able to make it into a car, a title would be oh so helpful. And now is the time to worry about it.

20160703_101954.jpg 20160703_101928.jpg

els likes this.
  12. bct

bct

When mine is up and racing im going to search for an olds head. downloadfile-2.jpg

downloadfile-29.jpg

kiwijeff, Tim and Moondog13 like this.
  13. squirrel

squirrel

The cans in the engine compartment...there is a vacuum powered fuel pump, high up on the firewall. There is a starter, and a generator. There is a heat exchanger on the exhaust pipe, and right in front of it is the air cleaner. There is an igition coil, which sits atop a gizmo that I haven't explored yet, but it has oil lines going to it, so it is probably something to do with the oil system, which apparently uses the pump to transfer oil to other reservoirs, rather than push it under pressure into bearings.

So much to learn...fun fun fun!

els, kiwijeff and bct like this.
  14. bchctybob

bchctybob

I'm learning right along with you. So that little horizontal can that seems to be attached to the heat exchanger is the air cleaner? Whoda thought, the carb's in the other side..
    Glad water didn't seize the trans. Rear end looks good in the picture. I forget, does the engine turn?

zbuickman likes this.
  15. squirrel

squirrel

It looks like the air is preheated by the exhaust pipe, that's why the air cleaner is right by the pipe and that heat exchanger can.

I have not got the engine to turn yet, the cluster gear in the trans may be holding the engine? or the engine itself could be stuck, which is pretty likely, as pistons tend to get stuck pretty easily when a car sits for a long long time.

I'll eventually take it all apart, and see if I can make it work, I guess.

els and chevytruck1954 like this.
  16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

It will be interesting to see if you can get the engine to turn and of course huge if you can get it to fire eventually.

"I" like the "windscreens" on the ford I posted but that's maybe just me???.
    I also like the black and white on the ford, It kind reminds you more of an old black and white photo.
    but anyway I ran across this painting of at least a similar chevy. and thought I would share.
    [​IMG]

Jiminy, BradinNC, tb33anda3rd and 4 others like this.
  17. Looking forward to seeing where this goes!

18. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I thought the serial# on the engine is same as the vin# .. Pretty sure that is the way chevy did it in the 30s?

19. squirrel

squirrel

Could be. they were different in the early 50s, though.

I'll probably give it a try, and see what happens.

els likes this.
  20. Squirrel,

Congrats on the '28 find! Couple thoughts-
    • do NOT use the rear end, as they are the weakest part of the drivetrain (I have a '46 truck rear, including the brakes so that I can run the hydraulics on my build).
    • Also, you do want to find a '28 head, as the '27 and earlier are prone to cracking.
    • Don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but take a look at the early Chevy 4 banger thread- LOTS of good info
    Also, there's been an Olds 3 port head on Ebay for a couple of weeks now :D

21. squirrel

squirrel

thanks! someone linked the 4 banger thread, I got a few pages into it, lots of good info! I'm not ready to spend money on go fast parts...if I can get it running with the 27 head, I'll be happy (it is neat to me how it was modified in the old days to make it work). I guess the main problem with them, is running low on water? Of course, I haven't taken the motor apart yet to look for cracks, it might be toast already. I did remove the rockers, and none of the valves are stuck, I can wiggle them all sideways a bit, so the guides are nice and loose

els likes this.
  22. rlsteel

rlsteel

Squirrel here is a 27 couple I did years ago.neat little cars.

Attached Files:

squirrel likes this.
  23. Looks like the 3 port listing got pulled- sorry for the bad info :(

Squirrel, the earlier heads had cooling issues that lead to them cracking, plus the rockers on everything other than the '28 head are 1:1, where the '28 is 1.5:1. Will keep my eyes out for a '28 head for you!

24. squirrel

squirrel

I visited the MVD office, and talked to the inspector, basically since the car does not have it's serial number tag (the wood parts it attached to are long gone), and there is no title or other paperwork, they can't really do anything with it at this time. But if I get it looking like a car again, ie tires, lights, etc, then I can apply for bonded title and they'll probably assign a VIN.

So I got to work taking it apart....got the fender and running board off, pulled the rear end loose, removed the transmission. The trans is not stuck after all, the engine is not stuck. Turns out the crap from critters living in the bellhousing for decades is what made it stuck, the flywheel was stuck to the bellhousing.

20160707_133346.jpg 20160707_114848.jpg 20160707_133358.jpg

els, enloe, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  25. 01mikep

01mikep
    from California

Really excited where this goes. Love your nova travels and the limits you push. Can't imagine where this goes. For sure it will be class act

26. This just keeps getting better.
    I've never seen a car that's sat that long where the motor wasn't stuck.
    On top of that, it's not beat up.
    Sure there's a lot missing, but I Think your on to something cool here.

27. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks! it's fun to play with, whether or not it goes anywhere.

I decided to make a crank....and I cranked the engine almost one turn. The plugs are in, the rockers are off, so it might have some compression, but I can't really tell. It's hard to turn, but like I said, I did turn it one revolution.

and figuring out how to make a crank like they would on the ranch...that kept me busy for a few minutes.

20160707_160305.jpg

els, kiwijeff and low budget like this.
  28. you could build a woody with what you have there, or better yet, something with a Caracticus Potts influence. DSCF4990.JPG

Tim_with_a_T likes this.
  29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks like the makings of a great little speedster or maybe a woodie like the one in post 58. Either way it's imagination and not money thrown at it that counts.
    I've got a spare rear end for one of those if you decide to use the rear end and need a part. I have no use for it but just haven't got rid of it yet.

30. squirrel

squirrel

I might need some brake parts, mine is missing the service brakes on the driver side.

Oh, I also noticed something else about the car that doesn't look quite right....this view is looking straight down.

20160707_133448.jpg

els and bct like this.