Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flattop Convertible Conversions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KsRoddin, Jun 26, 2016.

1. KsRoddin

KsRoddin

Hey everyone. Few years ago I heard that these conversions were common in 80's. To my understanding the Frame was super Solid on these and there wasn't additional bracing needed. Whoever I heard it from said that people were using Tops from a Boat for a folding top. I have asked around for a year or so now looking for additional information about these conversions and haven't had much luck. Hoping someone here maybe able to help. I have a '59 Impala Flattop that I'm cutting Roof off of. So this would be awesome to finally find out lol. Have a great day everyone. 10868273_10204915047413380_6561960322240631059_n.jpg 2qip94g.jpg nys40j.jpg

2. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I've seen articles cutting the top off of hardtops and making convertible and they were supposed to have similar frames.

KsRoddin likes this.
  3. KsRoddin

KsRoddin

That is my understanding as well. I guess the Tops didn't do much for structure that's why the used a frame similar to Verts. And I believe this fits for all GM Flattop Sedans. Not just Caddy pictured and Impala I asked about. I really think since Impala donating her Roof to another project this would be sweet to finally figure out.

4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Good idea ... be sure to let us know how that works for you ...

KsRoddin likes this.

5. Truthfully,that looks terrible !

I'm sure it could be accomplished and done well but again the example missed the mark! HRP

[​IMG]

Hnstray and KsRoddin like this.
  6. KsRoddin

KsRoddin

I can only find Cadillacs with this conversion FB_IMG_1462621594253.jpg 105p4pz.jpg

7. KsRoddin

KsRoddin

Agree and disagree. I think all Vert Tops up are not the most to look at. But for function and being pratical I would want the Top there.

8. KsRoddin

KsRoddin

9. KsRoddin

KsRoddin

Been thinking about this post and thought of another idea. Padded lift off Carson Top. Idk what to do. I'd really like to save Impala even though I'm cutting Roof off. It's still a '59 Chevy and there are enough Prius on road to not need more metal lol

10. Squablow

Squablow

Why are you cutting the roof off of the '59 Impala? Is it badly damaged? They're probably the prettiest roofline of any 4 door car ever. I love convertibles dearly but I wouldn't ever take a '59 Impala flat top and turn it into one of those clown cars above unless I had a better plan than that.

As for the need to reinforce, you could maybe get away with it if you're starting with a rust free car, but those X frames are prone to rust and weaken at the rockers where it counts the most. A weak one will pinch the door gaps closed without a roof and a rust free solid one is too nice of a car to butcher up.

I think this would be a mistake.

KsRoddin likes this.
  11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Actually GM cars were quite weak at that time. They had an X frame and depended on the body for strength like a unibody car but the bodies were not very strong.

You will need to reinforce the body if you don't want it to sag and this should be done before you cut the top off. I suggest 1 1/2" square tubing inside (behind) the rocker panels, bolted solid to the body at the front, back, and in the middle. Like the chassis stiffeners they use on Camaros and similar to tie the front and back together. Only in this case farther apart.

Some stiffening of the cowl area may also be called for, and also in the rear.

The door posts should be ok, they are already braced on a 4 door HT.

KsRoddin likes this.
  12. KsRoddin

KsRoddin

I'm going to install it on a '60 Coupe Deville chopped 2". I agree it's a beautiful Roof. I wished they made Coupes with Flattop. So I will ;)

Sent from my SM-S920L using H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. KsRoddin

KsRoddin

14. KsRoddin

KsRoddin

This is what I'm taking roof from. Below is what it will be going on. [​IMG]

15. KsRoddin

KsRoddin

Thank you. I was just thinking if braced same as Convertible it wouldn't need it. But before I cut I will throw some reinforcements just for safe measures

16. KsRoddin

KsRoddin

Didn't think about condition of Frame. Was just thinking Stock strength. Good call. Thank you

17. Squablow

Squablow

So you're using the Impala roof to make the '60 Cadillac into a Coupe DeVille Flat-top? That sounds awesome, actually. It should work, too, I really want to see that once it's together.

However I'm thinking when you're done, the Impala is going to only be good for parts. That one already looks rusty and once the roof is off I bet itll fold up. Use your roof and strip the rest of the car for useable parts, '59's part out really well and I'm sure you'll find buyers for anything left that's good.

Also, I'd do the subrame connector style reinforcements in the Cadillac before you touch the top, just to make sure it stays square once the roof is off, I'd also put some side to side and front to back braces in the Impala roof before you take it off, otherwise it could get sprung and not keep it's shape during the transfer. Guys who chop tops do that all the time and they know once the top is off it often does not keep it's shape the way you think it would. But those reinforcements can get cut back out once the top is on, the frame/rocker pieces on the Cadillac should be permanent.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    KsRoddin likes this.
  18. KsRoddin

KsRoddin

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I like the looks of the stock Caddy roof better.

Bubba1955 and KsRoddin like this.
  20. KsRoddin

KsRoddin

[​IMG]

Another version done. This one being milder Chop. But shows the trim on Fin molded and painted