Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical banger smokes out of oil filler tube

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Gasolinedeniz, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Hey guys i just bought this nice coupe with a 32 Engine and a cragar ohv conversion on it. Now every time i let it run there`s coming a lot of smoke out the oil filler tube. The seller told me Engine was fresh overhauled by Don Ferguson in SOCAL and i do believe him. So anybody has a idea what could cause that smoke, i mean its not drivable this way, it fills the whole car with smoke:-(
    I am gonna pull the head anyway tomorrow because i think with a little bit of luck its just a head gasket issue:)

Attached Files:

2. Wonder what kind of rings were used. it would be nice if it was a had gasket but it could as likely be rings. Something is letting pressure into the crankcase is sounds to me like.

3. squirrel

squirrel

Head gasket is not likely where the problem is. Usually worn piston rings will cause excessive blowby.

But you might be able to set up a positive crankcase ventilation system to get it driveable.

volvobrynk likes this.
  4. no i wanna do it clean, i guess i pull the engine and bring it to H&H

5. Since the seller told you "fresh overhauled by Don Ferguson", did you try asking Don Ferguson about the problem?

Charlie Stephens

volvobrynk and squirrel like this.
  6. i just did exactly this :)

7. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

If it was a fresh engine maybe a poor break in with no load on the rings for them to seal up right

DND

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

What did you find out the smoky oil filler tube ?

DND

9. fresh engine lol well i bought it and took it apart, thats what i found in the freshly rebuild engine.
    First there was a small hole in the piston, which was hold by a bent rod with a broken pistonring. Besides this the block had a small crack. So far so good, i was thinking at least i had the supercool cragar head. Pretty fast i reconized that all the valves have a differen hight, when i cleanded the head i found out this on the picture, well make a long story short, a lot of work waits. The strangest thing at all is that the engine sounded good :-( myhead.jpg

10. Can't tell what you're trying to point out on the head??? Do explain?

11. Time to buy a PLAN B
    myhead_1.jpg

12. Can't tell from the picture - but looks to be some welding that was not cleaned up afterwards. Or - are they just plugged?

13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Yes maybe, I hope so, because if that is rust-through then you ain't that lucky.
    But it's very hard to see.

But it looks cool with a cragar head.
    Hope it all works out to the best for you.

Not Don Ferguson rebuild then?

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  14. gas pumper

gas pumper

I think they got too aggressive milling the head for more compression and hit water. Maybe some creative silicon use on the head gasket when you reassemble. After all it was running and the issue was blowby, not lost compression thru the head gasket and water leaking past the gasket, right?
    How's the end gap on the rings? Besides the hole in the piston, that could get you lots of blowby too. Hmmm, the bent rod might be an indication of water in that cylinder, than trying to crank or push start against hydraulic lock.

volvobrynk and paintslinger805 like this.
  15. I like this theory. You can compress gas but you can't compress water and when you try it = bent rods. It looks like maybe you got a few problems and not just the blow by. It's a cool looking motor and I hope it's a easy fix/rebuild. Good luck

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. In looking at the picture, does appear that the deck is really thin? I'd take some time to closely inspect the head thickness - if it is paper thin, then I hate to say it - you may never seal the deck surface and the thing may constantly blow head gaskets. My guess is that it leaked water into the cylinder and then bent the rod - start of everything going down hill.

As far as Don Ferguson building it - probably just a myth. I've known Don and his family for 40 years and raced along side him at Bonneville - if that head was "milled to death", he would not put it together. Also, don't believe he's into building bangers - but I may be wrong.

Did you ever call Don up about this? If he had nothing to do with it, his name should not be thrown into the mix. If you haven't, then I'll be happy to contact him. He's one stand up dude - period.

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Yea I thought don was up there with the best of the best. Iv never met him but I sure have heard of his builds. He's well known here In SoCal. I would get ahold of him. Maybe he gave the guy that overhauled it a couple of pointers or some advise.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I don't know Don at all, but I only heard good things about THE Don Ferguson, but it could be A Don Ferguson.
    But I lean more towards the salesman trick known as LIES!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    prpmmp likes this.
  19. I dont wanna blame don, we try to fix it next week, i keep you updated :)

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. prpmmp

prpmmp

Its heard!!not heart:eek:!! Boy you Danes just can not spell:eek:!!Pete

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. sunbeam

sunbeam

My first thought make a 1/8 inch plate using the head gasket as a pattern and have it furnace brazed the head.

22. Cut him some slack. It was probably the spell checker, auto correct or the translation software. His English is a lot better than my Danish.

Charlie Stephens

Hotrodmyk and volvobrynk like this.
  23. prpmmp

prpmmp

Hey Charlie!! It was tongue and cheek!! On another thread someone corrected his spelling,I was just bustin on him! Pete
    The word is "through" not "true" and the 70s were the dark ages. The only thing I liked about the 70s was the music. Everyone was junking their American made "Hot Rods" for rice machines, Datsuns and Toyotas.:(

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. I just wanted him to know we we not picking on him.

Charlie Stephens

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I don't mind being corrected when I'm wrong.
    I don't mind to be told when I'm out of line, if that's the case.
    But I get totally furious, when I get "slammed" when being right!
    I hate to be paced, when I'm ahead of plans!!
    That makes me go TOTALLY ballistic.

But I can take what I been feed (sp.check please?) so fare, so keep at it, lads!

26. pumpman

pumpman

What the hell, we're talking about a four banger not spelling head bangers. Geez, we're suppose to be on the same side here. Take a breath.

27. As long as you can figure out what someone is saying who cares. if we were all rocket scientist we wouldn't be on the hamb talking about back yard car builds. I miss spell stuff all the time and I don't give a fuc$. It's my fault I had better things to do then learn how to write perfectly in school. Like work on cars so I'm never sitting on the side of the road like the geeks would be as my grandpas says. I would rather be street smart than book smart anyday.

volvobrynk likes this.
  28. Also possible Don built a short block.

29. Phttttttt :p his English is a lot better than mine most of the time. :D

I would not run that head with creative use of anything other then welding rod. I don't know Don Ferguson at all. I have heard good about him before and not bad yet. I have heard of Ralf Nader he was a prick that made a living off of whining about stuff. But old Ralf said one thing of value, "Buyer beware".

I don't know if Mr Ferguson built the motor but I do know that the seller either sold something that he knew very little about or he was dishonest. Too late for all of that now I suppose. Nothing left but to back up and regroup.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. i guess we are on the way to fix all the s or f word stuff :)