Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1956 buick parts questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by michael knight, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Hey guys and gals. I found a 56 buick riv 4dr at the wreckers the other day. They said its going to be crushed in the next couple weeks, so i bought a tailight housing, headlight bezel and other misc parts.
    I love these buicks and its killing me to know its getting crushed.
    engine and trans are still in it.
    So does any one know if the rear windshield is the same on a two door?.
    Also is there any parts that arent reproduced that i should pick that guys usually want?
    Thanks guys

2. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

what model? 40 (special) 50 (super) 60 (century) 70 (roadmaster)? The special and century models have a shorter wheelbase. I will try and look up the glass in my Hollanders and get back with you.
    Might be good to just purchase the car ($500) and part it out. I would like the engine and transmission, but short on cash.

michael knight likes this.
  3. It has four portholes on the fenders so its not a special. Oh god, i would love to buy the whole car but i have nowhere to store it.
    the rear window is mint and i dont think anyone reproduces them, so i thought i should get ir before its crushed incase anybody needs one.
    i hate seeing this stuff go to to waste

4. Definitely should save that nailhead....

tb33anda3rd and michael knight like this.

5. williebill

williebill

I think 4 portholes means it's a Roadmaster. See if the dash is good, those are bolted in, not welded like some of the other GMs of that era.

6. Could also be a Century (smaller body).

7. belair

belair

Super and roadmaster had same rear glass, century and special was different, but common to them. Sp Check out these c pillars-totally different between the big and small bodies. Same deal for the front windshields to. Super and roadmaster would have a 322, good engine. Any four holer with a stick is rare and trans, bell housing and all associated hardware is very rare. Trans will have six instead of five bolts on top.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  8. The dash is good. I didnt know they were bolted in. I going to get it for sure.
    i will see what the guy wants for the nailhead too.
    thanks for all the feedback guys:)

9. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

All 56 Buicks had a 322, only the Special had a 2bbl while the rest had a 4bbl. Only the Specials had 3 port holes. And yes, The Special and Century shared a 122" wheelbase while the Roadmaster and Super had 127" wheelbase. The smaller series and larger series also had different bumpers, grilles, tail lights, glass etc. too.

10. Ya theres alot to know about these old buicks. They sure arent genaric like cars produced today.
    when i was at the wreckers that day i went crazy when i saw it, i didnt even bother to see what model it was expect for looking at the number of portholes.
    a 56 buick is my dream car, and im happy to buy parts now and just put them in my inventory.
    Just gotta finish my truck first

11. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

The 4 door hardtop and 2 door Century had different back glass. Not interchangeable. The way to tell the difference between the big bodies and mall bodies is the extra hump on the side. They were wider. If you look at my avatar there is no extra hump on the side. Every part should be saved on that car as it will sell.

12. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Here is the 2 door

[​IMG]

Here is the 4 door
    [​IMG]

Here is the roadmaster. You can the the extra wide body [​IMG]

Here is a better pic of mine[​IMG]

13. Heres the station wagon version. Bruce. 1956 buick special station wagon 004.jpg

14. Thanks for the info and pics. You have a beatiful btw

15. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

No problem. Hope it helped.