Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Import car from new zealand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kenji, Jul 1, 2016.

1. I found a car in NZ that I'd like to get, but want to hear from HAMBers who have gone through the process. What DOT requirements do I have to comply with? (I asked them, but haven't heard back, yet)

2. inthweedz

inthweedz

What sort / make, year of car ??
    Have any modifications been made to it e.g. body, mechanical / engine-box, suspension ?
    I don't know you're rules over there, but if the vehicle is "modified" over here in New Zealand, it has to go thru, and pass a very involved certification process, just to get it registered for road use..

3. It's a stock '37 Ford Model Y.

4. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

It is old enough to avoid large import duty
    The problem you might run into is if you have a real title, when I brought a couple cars from Australia, which does not a 'title' like we have they didn't ask. But that was 7 years ago and things might have changed.
    What you will into, unless you know of another shipment coming this way, you will be shipping 'air' and air is expensive to ship. You take some of it apart and call it 'parts'.
    Also once here getting a vehicle titled is not really a big thing, just don't tell anybody you shipped it in for NZ. And for the Kiwi's, we don't have the vehicle inspections like you guys do. Ship the car, open the container and take it home, our 50 Chev Ute still had Ausie dirt in it.
    Find a shipper that has shipped for NZ to the US, and find a port that has handled vehicles, oh I just noticed you are on the Islands, come on brudder you got friends that know how to register cars,,, never give out too much information. Do not involve any government agency that is not necessary, it is a foreign car like any other foreign car that has made it to the Islands. There is no inspection required before coming in as it is a vintage/historical/person shipment.
    Get your ducks in a row before you ship and before it arrives, you might want to ship like to Long Beach in CA and then ship to the Islands, a little extra cost but it might be easier.

5. Contact Steve Curle at Kiwi Shipping in LA on 818 324 1767 or Tanya in their NZ office on o4 816 5250. Steve is an old mate from New Zealand and know his stuff. JW

6. The exact name that came to my mind. HRP

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  7. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What part of NZ is the car located? In case you need help getting it to a port.

8. One island to another same ocean might be Kon Tiki time.

kiwijeff and Zerk like this.
  9. Would you be willing and able to go onto TradeMeNZ and look up this car:
    Listing #: 1122273391
    Contact the seller and tell him he has a prospective buyer in Hawaii. He can contact me via email at [email protected]

Thanks,
    Ken

10. The car is near Auckland.
    Would you be willing and able to go onto TradeMeNZ and look up this car:
    Listing #: 1122273391
    Contact the seller and tell him he has a prospective buyer in Hawaii. He can contact me via email at [email protected]

Thanks,
    Ken

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a pretty friendly price in US dollars. the hassle may be finding a shipping company that runs from NZ to Hawaii. Is that a regular shipping route?

It looks like Matson does run ships to Fiji and then from there to Hawaii. http://www.matson.com/matnav/services/south_pacific.html

12. Hi ken, I went on Trade Me and tried giving him your e-mail but Trade Me is set up so you cant submit phone numbers and e-mails. I will keep trying for ya. JW
    PS; nice little Y I hade one 20 plus years ago.......in bits!!!

13. I got it up, I replaced the @ symbol, it will show up as a Red flat at Trade Me with a hyphen and said to replace it with the ''AT'' symbol. See what happens. JW

14. Nice tidy little Y, for a pretty damn reasonable price.

15. You're not kidding, I still regret selling my one. Im amazed there are no bids yet. JW

16. One outfit quoted me a price that's $200 less to ship to SoCal!

17. He hasn't answered my question yet, let me know if he e-mails. JW

18. inthweedz

inthweedz

Hi Ken.
    I tried a message thru Trademe as well, but as 26 T Ford RPU says, their system blocks the sending of email addresses.
    No problem, the seller had his cell phone number listed (027-5644691) so I've sent him a txt with all you contact details.
    Maybe you could give him a call, from memory calling NZ from overseas, the number would be +06427-5644691
    Hope it all works out for you

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  19. Dang, I missed that:(:confused: :rolleyes: JW

20. 97

You will have to get someone in NZ to buy it for you. Trade me does not allow overseas buyers ( except Australia). I have emailed you.

21. Kiwi Coupe

Kiwi Coupe

22. Kiwi Coupe

Kiwi Coupe

Hi Ken

I'm the owner of the car you are talking about. I'm more than happy to talk to you more about the car. I have sent you an e-mail.

It's not required that you complete the purchase through Trademe. Vehicle auction fees are prepaid so we can deal directly with one another if that is easier for you.

Talk soon. Colin

23. Thanks for the tip.

I found another nice one on TradeMeNZ; a '36 Ford 10, Listing #: 1077832576
    Would you be willing and able to go onto TradeMeNZ and look up the car and
    contact the seller? You can tell him he has a prospective buyer in Hawaii. He can contact me via email at [email protected]

24. Will sort it tonight for you. I saw that the Model Y was relisted. JW

25. I have sent him an e-mail with yours. Nice little car. Its a Model C and I don't think they had a 10 hp motor, more like 8 like the Y. Let me know if he makes contact or not, I tried his Cell Phone but it appears the number is wrong. Let me Know if I can be more help. JW

26. Anything happening with this one? JW