Register now to get rid of these ads!

model a cowl on a t coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trent, Mar 13, 2006.

1. trent

trent

Just thinking about my 26-27 t coupe project and wondering how much of a pain in the ass this would be. I've got a spare Model A cowl plus the section it attaches to with the windshield in it. What exactly will I need to do if this is what I want. If anyone has any pictures of this it would be great. I have only seen the one pic of skratch's car (I think this is what he's doing). My thinking behind this is I like the looks of the model A cowl better plus it'll give me some more room for that hemi I think. The A cowl is also perfect where the T has some rust holes that need repair.[​IMG]

2. I've never heard of it being done,but a tape measure
    and an open mind should tell you what you need to know.

After all,it's only metal.

Just cut off anything that is in your way,
    and modify anything that doesn't match your Vision.

3. Exactly, but i do think the t body is narrower than the a cowl, but like he said

4. tysond

tysond

The 28/29 pick ups ran the same doors as 26/27 coupes I think. If you could get some A pillars that would help. Maybe someone more informed could step in here.
    Also, the Ala-kart had an A cowl and T back section. Anything is posible.

5. To quote Puff Daddy Fritz: "Cut,Weld,Grind,Repeat as necessary."

6. booboo

booboo
    1. oHIo

didnt boyd coddington do a 27 t coupe with a 28 a cowl?

7. Fresh469

Fresh469
    from Benton, KY

who? :confused:

ooooo, that guy :rolleyes: fuck boyd coddsack

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

First thing would be to locate a 28-29 pickup cowl, that way your door hinges will be lined up. I would think they are close enough width wise that you could tweak the body to get things to fit. The firewall and sides on all 28-29 cowls are the same the door post sections differ, open car, Tudor/Coupe and Pickup are the three different sections.

9. DrJ

DrJ

Gotta admit not paying any attention...But how and where and how much is the pickup different from the sedans?

10. booboo

booboo
    1. oHIo

whatever.... it was a brown or red primed fenderless job on streed rodder in the past 10 mounths or so..
    i thouht i looked pretty cool reguardless of who built it......

11. trent

trent

Anyone have a picture of this car so we could take a look?

12. Fresh469

Fresh469
    from Benton, KY

hey, i hope you didn't take that the wrong way, wasn't anything towards you. i just dont like the way the guy runs his business :rolleyes:

sry to get OT. back to your regularly scheduled programming :p

13. trent

trent

Thank you for all the help so far. The 28-29 truck cowl to door hinge section sounded like a pretty good option until I started looking at them.
    [​IMG]
    To me that cowl looks exactly the same as the 26-27 T coupe which I guess makes sense. Why would they redo the cowl for the 28-29 truck if they are already using a bunch of parts from the 26-27 T. Correct me if I'm wrong. So going on with my plans to use the cowl I already have which is some kind of an A, not sure what...

If I get it all cut to fit, do I just take the T cowl off and weld that A in place? I'm going to lose that seam then, will that look dumb? Do I need to fold that edge somehow and rivet it on there? And BTT since this is already on page 5 after less than a day.

14. This one?
    [​IMG]

15. burger

burger

Here's a picture I saved from an older thread on the HAMB... interesting concept... 28 cowl and 27 coupe from the doors back.

Ed

Attached Files:

Dannerr likes this.
  16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Burger, Your photo shows a 28-29 closed car cowl and 28-29 closed car doors. Note the belt line doesn't line up with the rear quarter. If you use a 28-29 pick up cowl it has the same doors as a 26-27 and the rear quarters will line up. :)

17. The37Kid

The37Kid

Trent, The only 26-27 parts that interchange with a 28-29 Ford Pick Up are the sunvisor and the doors. :) ........maybe the windshield frame, but you'd have to check.

18. Anything will interchange with anything if you have enough skill, time, vision and money.

Offer the parts up to each other and make them fit.

19. burger

burger

My bad... shoulda probably looked at the picture rather than just working off memory!

Anyway, I want to clarify that the particular heap of parts in that picture is not my project. I do have similar heaps of parts in the same sorry condition, just not that one.

Let me ask this though: would the same trick -- 28-9 cowl and doors with 26-7 quarters -- work with roadster or rpu cowl & doors?

Ed

20. 32viper

32viper

What he said. Plus a change like that could be the character of the hot rod. Don't think too much about it, just do it.

21. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Lets see now, thinking out loud:

A 26-7 T Body, any one, fits on an A frame, mounting holes are already there at least on 28-9. Henry did that deliberately since the 28A body was late and the T on A rails would have gone into production.

28A fenders, aprons and running boards line up with the T body on A rails, gives the T a better flow IMO.

So that sort of tells me that the T and 28 cowls should interchange with minimum work.

Where did I go wrong with this "theory"?

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Well, The 28-29 a pick up cowl & doors to 26-27 T coupe rear quarters is a bolt & nut job more or less. Taking a 28-29 roadster cowl & doors and attaching it to a 26-27 roasdster quarter would take some metal work. If you look at a photo of the Ala-Kart, Barris used a 26-27 T touring car back panel, my guess is that it was just grafted to or over the 28-29 roadster pickup quarters.

23. trent

trent

Found a photo album of the Ala Kart with 63 pictures if anyone's interested:
    http://public.fotki.com/DWDarby/ala_kart/
    Not really my thing- I usually like cars that are simpler but it sure is neat and sounds like it was pretty revolutionary. Anyways back to the discussion, those 28A truck cowls don't look too much different than the cowl on my T coupe... anyone have dimensions on them? Just wondering if it's any shorter or anything, hard to tell with the random pictures I keep looking at.