Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods VIN rivets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

The vin numbers themselves are different....the Corvette will have "08" in it...the Impala "17" or "18"...plus different assembly plants....today a vin decoder is fingertips away on Google. Nothing would be worse than buying a 1960 Corvette and it having a fullsize Chevy vin number...

mkebaird likes this.
  2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Going different.. but lets use this.....your 55 Ford is in great shape... but the frame is toast.You buy another 55 Ford with a rotten body but a cherry frame.These cars has the Vin stamped onto the frame along with the tag on the inside drivers door.You use your donor 55 for the frame.
    what comes first.. the chicken or the egg.

Much less a cherry 33 ford coupe......using a Original ford frame from another 33 Ford.
    I am talking Original manufactures parts here....

3. Larry T

Larry T

While I was working on my F-100 title, "powers that be" said older Fords are titled by frame numbers. "If it has a 56 Ford frame, then it's a 56 Ford, no matter what body is on it." If that doesn't work them you get a builders title for what ever year you apply for a title. I was trying to sort out a F-100 on a Dodge Dakota frame. I changed build direction when they told me this. It now has a stock 56 Ford frame with an Industrial Chassis crossmember and Posies rear springs.

They said the same applied from 1932 - ?? (I don't remember, but later than 1956.)

This is Texas stuff and another title office might have a different take on things.

4. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

That's what I mean. It's in the OEMs' interest if repairs after even a trivial airbag deployment are as onerous as possible.

5. 55Brodie

55Brodie

Another post that has gone "off the rails".

roundvalley likes this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

How so? We are still discussing data/serial /VIN plate attachment and potential problems associated with fasteners securing those plates. Or, in some posts, swapping serial numbered parts....not headliner bows or soundproofing materials. You and your "like" buddy may not be representative of the average HAMB member's interest in learning more, rather than less.

Ray

Jeff Norwell and tb33anda3rd like this.
  7. 55Brodie

55Brodie

Didn't mean to strike a nerve there Ray. I was just wondering how we went from the OP's original question about rivets to discussions about everything but rivets. And, no, I haven't learned much on this post. I can't speak for my like buddy however.

Hnstray likes this.
  8. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

OP here, I would think that anyone with a Higway Patrol avatar would stick this one out to the end. LOL

9. 55Brodie

55Brodie

2150 to Fortunateson, I'm hanging with you to the bitter end. 10-4?

10. 1great40

1great40
    from Walpole MA

I have no legal expertise, nor was the OP looking for any.
    But, as far as rivets go, if they're the rosette pop rivets, lop the backs off them with a whiz wheel, pin punch the remains of the mandrels out of them and then tap them (3-48 works real well IIRC). Now you have rosette nuts.

11. mkebaird

mkebaird

Agree with that! Early Corvettes had the VIN tag screwed to the steering column! When I bought my '60 basket case it didn't have a steering column. Some PO had pop riveted the tag to the door jamb. Fortunately the AAA inspector was too busy oohing & aahing over the car to worry about it. I know, I should have taken care of the paperwork before building the car. I did try once at the DMV shortly after I bought the car, but they just laughed, said it actually had to be a car, not a collection of parts! Speaking of AAA, it might be worth the $70 membership fee when you're going for a vin inspection if your state allows. And yes, the # on my frame matches the tag. I also cut a small hole in the floor under the driver seat so the stamped vin is accessible if needed.

12. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I had a '56 Buick a couple of years ago that had been repainted. The guy had a new tag made with the serial number on it which was attached to the door jamb with Phillips screws. When I registered it the woman who came out to verify the serial number never said anything about it having screws instead of rivets. I guess I got lucky?