Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Swedes do Route 66 in there Swedish 1958 Impala

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Christer Gustafsson, Jun 29, 2016.

1. so cool - so did some friends meet up with you to make the trip ?thought I saw that on a post - safe travels with you guys....keep us posted especially if y'all think your going to have a problem - we're here to help you guys though the journey...

2. Awesome! I did Route 66 in 2000 as my honeymoon. Keep in mind there are many old alignments of rte 66, so you may find yourself on a road with zero human contact for several hours... Carry an ice chest full of water and a spare (full) gas can. Have fun and plan on getting sidetracked along the way...
    On our trip my wife decided we needed to see a Drive-In movie, as she had never experienced that before... We stopped in Litchfield, Illinois to watch Coyote Ugly... One of the worst movies ever, then we hung out at the local Dairy Queen with the high school football team, who had won that night... The events set us back a full day on our trip, but we didn't care because the experience was totally worth it!

3. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Be sure to enjoy IN-N-OUT Hamburgers.

lc1963 and robracer1 like this.
  4. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, Swedes, welcome to America. I noticed you plan on cruising from Holbrook, Az. to Flagstaff, Az. Between these two is Winslow, Az. Remember the song by the Eagles, "...standin' on the corner in Winslow, Arizona ?" You just gotta stop at that corner and take your picture with the bronze statue holding his guitar. It is on the way, plus it won't take long. There is a super restaurant/hotel at Peach Springs, located on an Indian Reservation, between Seligman and Kingman on the old route going west. Plus, some one has already suggested Hackberry, a small cafe/dry goods store on the right about 7 miles before you reach Kingman. We haven't experienced Oatman and Topeck yet because we started running short on time as we left Needles, Cal. coming east, and the Oatman-Topeck route is a wee bit longer journey to Kingman from Needles. The Kingman to Seligman route is about 70 miles of the original highway and is a really nice road. Good luck.

5. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

What's the story on this Caddy? That is one LONG hood!

IMG_0919.JPG

Barn Find likes this.
  6. You are right, it was Chicago. In Detroit we was invited to GM Heritage Museum, great place with many cars both original and concept cars. We also wisited the Henry Ford Museum, it was more than a Ford museum it was a museum of the industrial progress. Impressive

Attached Files:

7. Hey Christer, welcome to the H.A.M.B., for some reason i love the swedish people, have fun over there. i rode that wonderful bridge long time ago, too. the GM heritage museum seems to be an wonderful place.
    keep us home folks tuned about your trip.

travel safe. nice Chevy!

Cheers Carsten

8. Good, you at least got to see the two big auto attractions in the Detroit area. The Henry Ford probably used up one whole day of your visit. There are a number of not so well known car guy attractions and cruise nights you could have visited while in the area if you had time.

9. We are staying at Aloft Tulsa July 1

10. Sorry for the rain today. This is Oklahoma's severe weather season. Anything from Rain, Hail, High Wind or possibly even a Tornado. But don't worry, by noon it will be 95 (35C) degrees and you will be putting your ice cooler to task. Enjoy!
    Jim, Edmond Ok. (Oklahoma City Suburb)
    405 513 0225

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  11. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

Where are you now?

12. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Some cool pictures.....Especially the McDonald's Golden Arch. When you come into California, you will go through San Bernardino after Victorville. San Bernardino is the location of the original McDonald's owned and operated by the McDonald Brothers prior to WW2. I can go on about Ray Krock and how he bought McDonald's from the McDonald brothers but that would bore everyone.

13. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Did not know about that place downtown. Hope it meets your expectations. Have a safe trip west. Made the same trip last year, at least to Oatman. Hope you have had a good experience in our country.

14. The owner did not why it was built but he think there are at least 2 made

15. The Aloft in Tulsa area

16. MO_JUNK

MO_JUNK
    from Rolla, Mo.

I would have liked to have met you on your way through this section of 66. Hope you have a safe trip and that you get to see a bunch of Americana.

17. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

If your running behind and your near Kingman Az. on July 16th there's the monthly Beale Street cruise going on. Listed as starting at 5pm but people start showing up at 4pm and earlier. Again, watch out for the heat. It can get unbearable in Vegas, Lk. Havasu and Needles this time of year.

18. rfraze

rfraze

Keep your eye open for What-a-Burger locations. To me, Steak and Shake is not that good and White Castle sliders are so so (about as big as a silver dollar). When you get to Joplin, Missouri please remember that it almost got wiped off the map by a HUGE tornado a few years ago. Moment of silence. Oklahoma City has built a pretty cool downtown section. In Amarillo, Big Tex Steak House is on 287 and Cadillac Ranch is just west.
    By now, it should be obvious that the USA is not overcrowded. You are seeing lots of open space. When you get to Albuquerque, consider taking the tram to the top of Sandia Peak. Keep your eyes open for hanggliders off the top and morning and evenings for hot-air balloons in the capital of ballooning. They have an interesting variety of Mexican food there.
    You have gotten some input about the area before Flagstaff, there is a great old hotel at Gallop, NM and teepee hotel near Winslow? (There is a little-known forested highway between Show Low, Payson, and Camp Verde, AZ). I enjoy the old road thru Flag, plenty going on.
    One of my favorite towns along the way is Williams, AZ. It is one of the old two one-way street towns. Both streets are Route 66. Williams is the gateway to Grand Canyon and home of Grand Canyon Railway. They built a million$ airport terminal and no one is there!! Crazy.
    If you haven't seen the movie Cars, you might want to try to find it before you get to Flagstaff. As you go west, you are likely to see background scenes that are depicted in this animated classic. Search here for 66 trip threads and bbops trip threads for pics of things to look for. This is probably the most iconic part of the route and you will be pulled in different directions by places you want to see.
    For me, staying on 66 thru Kingman out thru the old canyon road (used to be a sand-drag track there), along the Interstate, then on to Oatman, and down to Needles is well worth it. From there you can toss a coin or see Lake Havasu, Bullhead City and a night along the Colorado River at Laughlin's mini-Vegas fun zone, then on north to Vegas and a night-time top-down cruise of the strip. Get used to having to make choices, you are headed towards sensory overload. My suggestion is always to drive til you see something you want to check out, park, and do it. Come back to the car and repeat.
    Between Needles and Barstow is more desert. When you see Amboy, take a look at the old volcano south of it. Now picture the night that high school kids from 29 Palms took a bunch of tires, set them on fire, and rolled them down into the crater. Picture the smoke from a dormant volcano that lasted long enough to create this story.
    You will see plenty of In-N-Out Burgers on the roll into LaLa Land. 66 will put you on the 210. Colorado Blvd exit gets you back on thru Pasadena (Rose Bowl parade route). There you go west on the 134 and you might want to try to catch the Fri night cruise at Bob's Big Boy on Riverside Drive near Universal Studios and the original Tommy's Burgers off the 101. I always suggest Pink's Hot Dogs in Hollywood, then a putt west on Melrose. It is pretty much mandatory to cruise Sunset Blvd west to the ocean.
    If you find yourself off the 405 south of the LA airport, stop at Tito's Tacos!
    You are going to need more time!!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    Texas57 likes this.
  19. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

No update? Hope they are surviving the desert.

20. toml24

toml24

Where are the Swedes and their car?

21. They're scheduled for DD this Saturday.....

22. TOOO COOOLLLL ! Keep us informed!!! I am descended from your country.... Hanson.....

23. toml24

toml24

I'll be at Donut Derelicts looking for them with a camera.

redlineracer42 likes this.
  24. amadeus

amadeus

You might make it on time for this..
    [​IMG]

jakespeed63 likes this.
  26. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Crazy Svedes

Thanks for sharing.

27. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

No word from them since Tulsa. Looks like Oklahoma has them now.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. amadeus

amadeus

29. We are OK, Did not think anyone followd us. Will post pic and info soon. Best Regards Christer

30. toml24

toml24

The Swede's bid a fond farewell from the California paradise of Donut Derelicts and head home or to other locations. This car is going to Florida. Many more photos to follow from DD.
    DSCN4082.JPG

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016