Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1956 Chevy 210 Townsman rear bumper question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speedwise, Jun 29, 2016.

1. speedwise

speedwise

A friend of mine is restoring a '56 Chevy 210 Townsman 4 door station wagon. He swears you can't buy a replacement rear bumper from the big parts suppliers. I find that hard to believe. What's so special about this rear bumper? It is truly unique? Is the alternative to find a good used one? If you know any answers to these questions or where I can find one, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. Did it have the license plate on the tail gate so it didnt have an indentation for it on the bumper perhaps?

3. Nitro crew chief

Nitro crew chief
    from Illinois

The wagon bumpers are reproduced, but are not the quality of the original. The rear bumper guards are the hard thing to find, and if you do find them, they are pricey.

4. speedwise

speedwise

Checking...

5. speedwise

speedwise

Plate is in the bumper

6. squirrel

squirrel

Normal cars have the plate on the trunk lid, wagons have it in the bumper (that way, you can drive with the tailgate down and be legal).

wagon bumper guards are lower, also.

Squablow likes this.
  7. fyi: don't know if it's still there but there was a used front bumper and used wagon center section in the classifieds a few weeks ago that looked in decent core shape and for a pretty good price. Somewhere from the east coast me thinks.

8. speedwise

speedwise

Do any of you know some good resources/companies to check with?

By the way thanks for everyone's posts.

9. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Prior to 1953, Chevy wagons had the rear license plate mounted on the tailgate with one taillight and when the tailgate was down, the license plate and taillight could be folded out so it could be seen .

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Check out that auction site we all know and love. There are some NEW, and some USED bumper guards available. The bumpers are also available repro; check with any of the Tri-Five vendors, such as Danchuk.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. Gman0046

Gman0046

I wouldn't waste my money on repop bumpers.