Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My '33 PU, a truck, a build, a story *Done For 2016*

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Flowmeister, Nov 16, 2015.

1. bryanyeskie

bryanyeskie
    from Hixton

2. Looks great Kelly!

3. Jeff34

Jeff34

Looks GREAT! I think either way (fendered or fenderless) It's an awesome looking truck!

4. Looks Freaking Great !

Flowmeister likes this.
  5. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Truck looks great! Another PU to inspire my woodie build! Thanks for the thread.

Flowmeister likes this.
  6. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

Stance = a big FAT check mark!

So, next year plan on driving down here for the LA Roadster show and we'll get our trucks together for a photo op.

:cool:

volvobrynk and Flowmeister like this.
  7. Thanks guys!

You know @Dennis Lacy I had that exact photo op thought!

Dennis Lacy and volvobrynk like this.
  8. Jmorton27

Jmorton27

Good looking pickup bud!

Flowmeister likes this.
  9. 32coop

32coop
    from Australia

I just found this thread. I hope your health issues are on the improve. I love your truck, I'm glad your eventual plan is to have the fenders on. I think they look more complete. Fantastic.

10. Jeff34

Jeff34

Great stuff!

Flowmeister likes this.
  11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

great build wishing you loads of trouble free miles in it

Flowmeister likes this.
  12. Final details, Headlights

I had to build headlight mounts and holding to my constraints of not drilling holes in the frame led to some time sitting and thinking. I made an oval flange that bolts to two of the fender brace holes, bent up some round stock, drilled some holes and rosette welded the pieces together.
    I used a headlight bar I had here for the cup parts.
    Once they were all done, I painted them black and bolted them up. IMG_20160622_112311.jpg IMG_20160625_144844.jpg IMG_20160625_145123.jpg IMG_20160702_225004.jpg

I love the look of big headlights glowing from a park light bulb, so I drilled a small hole in the upper part of my reflectors and put little bulbs in. The headlights are the stock commercial units, H4 conversion, new lenses and trim rings.

13. Final Details, Turn Signals

I really had a hard time finding anything that I really liked,
    I ended up building a pair from a couple cheap led flashlights, and a new
    trailer clearance light lens,and a couple new 1156 sockets.
    First I gutted the flashlight housings and modified the new socket/pigtails
    I had bought to fit inside as compact as possible, I then cut a good chunk of the housing off,
    shortening them considerably. I had a friend spin the bezel part on his lathe to get rid of the
    bumps and smooth them out.
    I cut the lenses out of the new trailer light lens, since there were two moulded round parts, it worked perfect.
    For mounting, I used a 1/4 20 countersunk screw up through the original switch hole and held it with a nut. For mounting them to the truck, I made a little tab that attaches to the headlight mount and is held on with the big headlight nut.
    I painted them black and mounted them up.
    I am quite happy with them despite having a slight newish appearance, but they blend in so well, you don't really see them, till they are blinking. IMG_20160624_144119-2.jpg IMG_20160624_231136.jpg IMG_20160710_120234.jpg IMG_20160710_132107.jpg

14. Very innovative on the turn signals.
    They look great, and you would never know what they were, unless you see this thread.

Flowmeister likes this.
  15. Final Details Seat and signal switch

My friend Ron aka Mr Cheery knows how far I have put myself into financial ruin
    by sticking to my guns about finishing this truck before I move.
    As it works out, I can no longer afford to live in my house, so it is getting sold and I will move to
    a more suitable situation for me. And that's all good, when the dust settles, it will be great.
    I was not going to trailer the 33 to the new place and stuff it in the garage, because stuff would get piled upon it and then all of a sudden it is the end of September, and, oh well, maybe it will be done for next year. NOPE!!! that ain't going to happen, it needs to be a driving, done truck, and I stuck to that.
    I put a lot of things on the line to finish this. But it was one of those things I had to do. IMG_20160707_101326.jpg IMG_20160707_101345.jpg IMG_20160710_141740.jpg

So, back to Mr Cheery. He so generously offer to buy the naugahyde for the seat, and I graciously accepted, then he wouldn't let me pay for the foam, then he takes it all home and 24 hours later, I got a bitchin' seat. He had bought an industrial machine when he stitched the interior of his 32 Hudson I had painted, then he stitched the interior of a Model A sedan he just built.
    I am so impressed and owe him a debt of gratitude.
    We have since taken two inches of foam out of the back, but this picture shows how awesome the seat is. Thank you Ron!

Another silly detail is the wiring for my signal switch. I didn't just want it taped to the column in an
    asphalt loom. I had this chrome Holley fuel line in my cabinet for a long time, It had leaked like a sieve right out of the package, so a little creative cutting and a compression fitting, and i'm very happy with this detail.

16. Everything looks amazing Kelly!

Flowmeister likes this.
  17. Some really cool little details Kelly! Nice work. I may have to steal that turn signal switch wire loom idea from you it looks slick.

Flowmeister likes this.
  18. Nice work! And a very ingenious way to make some turn signals. But wouldn't they look more "traditional" with clear lenses?

Flowmeister likes this.
  19. The Recap

One detail I wish I had taken pictures of is how Jordy and I straightened the tailgate.
    It was fairly bent along the top edge where a thick bar of metal runs the whole width.
    I didn't know of anyone that had a big enough press that wasn't against a wall, so Jordy and I used the front tire of my 90 Chev truck to bend it. It worked out so well it's crazy.
    Should have got pictures though.

Ok, so, for all intents and purposes, the '33 is done for this year.
    I still have some stuff to deal with like the box floor, but it is a running, driving HotRod.
    I can hop in it and go, pretty cool!
    It is a lot of fun, I haven't taken it to any shows, but it seems quite well received so far.
    I find that older ladies will just stand and gaze at it, offering up some comments.

I have about 200 miles on it right now, a couple minor issues, but nothing major.
    I am so glad that I never bailed out, although that was never really a consideration.
    It's been a 3 year deal, with a lot of work, and milestones that all seemed so significant.

I have a list of people to Thank for all the help, Adam, Jordy, Frank, Terry, Mr Cheery, Mike,
    Nick, Pauly the Punk. These people were always there when needed.

Thank you to the HAMB community, for providing access to builders that have been inspiration,
    and for the members who have followed along and provided such great positive comments.
    I appreciate it more than you can know.

So here are a few pictures of the '33 NOT in my garage!
    Thanks again all! IMG_20160714_113946.jpg IMG_20160719_172453.jpg download_20160719_214819.jpg 13726691_10154385020121170_4793079425184793456_n.jpg download_20160721_182526.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  20. shopdawg

shopdawg
    from alberta

Way to go, looks great. Hope things turn around for you and you can get lots of miles and smiles out of your hard work.

21. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Yours is PERFECT! Hope to have my deuce highboy truck done by early fall?

Flowmeister likes this.
  22. Love this shot, hope your out driving the wheels off it. IMG_20160731_094620.jpg

23. Dennis Lacy

Dennis Lacy

Isn't it such a weird feeling when after what seems like never ending work then one day (and from there on out) you get in and go for a drive? The first one always makes me ask myself, "Is this really happening?" And then I think about it and it's just... weird! This time last year my truck wasn't even close and now its been on the road for the better part of 8 months and already has a couple thousand miles on it. It's weird!

Huge congrats and I hope it brings you thousands of miles of happiness!

Oh, and start planning that trip out West for next Father's Day weekend. ;)

slimcat7m3, jalopykid and volvobrynk like this.
  24. 2935ford

2935ford

Didn't happen unless there is video! :)

25. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Beautiful truck, I absolutely love the 32-34 closed cab pickups.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Looks great, glad to see you have it out on the road. Congratulations.

27. bct

bct

beautiful. congrats from me too.