Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1992 video of Just Steve picking up his 32 three window coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Roadsir, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Roadsir

Roadsir

I have a pretty comprehensive history and build thread on my Brother Steve's 32 three window.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...of-just-steves-1932-ford-three-window.848240/

This month marks 10 years since we lost Steve, and yesterday would have been his 55th Birthday. So yesterday when I met Mom and Dad at a local car show they gave me a DVD and said it was a video of the day Steve picked up the 32, which made the day really special. His son Scott came across the DVD and my parents had it converted. I couldn't wait to get home and pop it in the player, as I have never seen the video, and didn't know that it existed. Rather than put this at the tail end of the build thread I thought it deserved it's own.

Once again he was behind the camera, but you can hear his infectious laugh and some restrained excitement as they were pulling the car out of an honest to god chicken coop! This ones for you Steve! Coupes really are for chickens.....

Here's Mom and I yesterday.
    32 at NU car show.jpg

32 at NU car show II.jpg

Katman1, Tman, Runnin shine and 5 others like this.
  2. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

I remember reading about Steve's adventure from the story he wrote some years back about finding this treasure! This cool video of his "holy grail find" is just icing on the cake! Thanks for sharing Roadsir and peace be to Steve's memory!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  3. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Thanks for the video, and incredible work preserving what's there.

Roadsir likes this.
  4. That picture with your mom looks like the DVD hand off.
    I remember Steve's Chevette and the need to keep WD40 handy for spraying in the distributor cap.

Roadsir and need louvers ? like this.

5. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

So awesome, and even better that you still have the car!

Roadsir likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Priceless!

Roadsir likes this.
  7. Heartwarming for sure,bet Steve is smiling.

Roadsir likes this.
  8. 19indian

19indian
    from minnesota

Very cool Eric . I wish I could have met Steve before he passed. What a great video

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Roadsir likes this.
  9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

To hear his voice again,,,,,,,

Thanks

Tman and Roadsir like this.
  10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'm so sorry that I never got to meet Steve, as he really was one of my favorite writers ever. The article that he wrote about the WD40 and the Chevette is still one of the funniest things I have ever read. Might have been the same article, but the truck tail lights on the way to Kalamazoo was gold as well. The notion of just taking a replacement item from behind the seat and "showing" it to nonfuctional stuff makes me giggle to this day.

Strange as heck to see that outbuilding again, too! We had a conversation a couple years ago about that, having lived in White Bear Lake area in the very early eighties, I suspected what was in the building at the time....

Glad to see you have the 3window out and about these days. Bet your brother is proud out there somewhere.

11. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Didn't someone tell him about the 32 due to his wearing an event shirt? Do I recall that correctly? Thanks for sharing his story and 32 with us.

12. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

Great video. Can someone please add a link to this article for those of us who missed it?

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I just tried to scan it, and unfortunately my scanner is not scan-i-ficating stuff right now. hopefully someone else will jump in and pick up my slack. My windows whatever upgrade must killed the little scanner wizard again. It's in Rodder's Digest #43.

14. TerryT35

TerryT35
    from Minnesota

Thanks Eric......It was great to hear Steve's voice again.
    You did the car the way he would have done.

Roadsir likes this.
  15. scoop

scoop

Thanks for sharing,Eric.Can't believe it's been 10 years already.

Roadsir likes this.
  16. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

He thought I was a good photographer and a some what writer and give me my first real by-line.
    Then he found the 'other' Tony Huntimer and the world was never the same, luckily he, the other, is non-HAMB

Roadsir likes this.
  17. Roadsir

Roadsir

so_dak....Thanks I appreciate the comment
    big deuce....After watching this I'm surprised how similar it looks to the '92 condition.
    Thanks Malcom, I didn't make it to Humboldt, but there is one left late in the year and I did register the 40 for the HAMB drags.
    Thanks!, probably will see everyone in Des Moines.
    Texas Webb, Thank you, I am sure he is.
    Terry...Yeah, actually he was going to run it as a highboy to start with, but I just thought it would be cool to run the fenders like it was. I think he probably would have eventually run it with the fenders.
    Scoop, Thanks Man!......We still have to coordinate a reliability brewery cruise....

Malcolm likes this.
  18. Roadsir

Roadsir

Well, I'm glad you didn't dig a little deeper!.....I'll have to dig up those RD mags, they were having a lot of fun with that mag!

19. Roadsir

Roadsir

Yeah, he would stop into a convenience store in the morning and a kid working there saw his RD Jacket and said his uncle had an old 32 Ford Coupe Hot Rod in a shed. Steve kept in contact, and one day the when the kid got off work he took him over the check it out. One of those H...S.... Moments. He kept after it, and the kids Uncle and finally made the deal, and the rest is history.

20. Roadsir

Roadsir

Tony,
    Thanks.....well stated, and thanks for chiming in. I had to watch is several times myself.

21. Wow, 10 years? Miss that guy. Looks like Kurts shop where the pressure washing went down? I will speak for Rocky and myself that we had a blast chasing down those VCs for Steve. I remember the weekend he called me about them when I spotted em at our swap.

22. Roadsir

Roadsir

Karl, Thanks I really appreciate it, and thanks for helping out...!
    Todd, Good eye...It was the handoff. I was waiting to see if anyone would actually chime in on the Chevette. That was actually Steve's second. The first was a red two-door that he took to California when he worked for Street Rodder. The second after he came back. When the video starts I think he was saying he sold the primered black 49 Chevy pickup to free up money for the 32....

23. Roadsir

Roadsir

I still haven't seen another set of Edmunds for a Nailhead. I know it made Steve's day! Glad you were able to make it happen!

24. That was just great, thanks Eric for sharing!!

Roadsir likes this.
  25. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

It's hard to let anything with Steve just lie here.
    Steve was an amazing/humble friend
    Here is a 'normal' hot rod guy, from the hot bed of hot rodding The Midwest, heads out to Calie forn eia, to be the Editor of Street Rodder Magazine. There he show the world that an average Joe can build a Hot Rod and have a family.
    Later he guides most of the major Writers and Photographer of the Automotive World with the production of the books we treasure on our coffee tables, dens, offices and garages. And what was the name you could find him on the HAMB?
    Just Steve

Roadsir and Tman like this.
  26. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Yep, That giggle when the Gas Tank is blown out is pure Steve......Ten years goes fast.....

Roadsir likes this.
  27. Roadsir

Roadsir

Tony,
    Well said, he accomplished a lot in a short period of time, you summed it up so perfectly in just a few sentences.

28. titus

titus

Cool video to find and see, im assuming Curt in the video is Curt Senescall? and when they were cleaning it it looks like Curts shop, Creative metal works?

I too wish i would have gotten to know Steve a little better but time never let that happen, we bonded over nailheads cause of his coupe and my model A tudor that i built with a nailhead in it, he told me he seen me driving it one day and tried to chase me down but didnt see where i went, he said no one was running nailheads at the time so he wanted to see it and what i did, we did finally catch up at North St paul history cruise and then he did come over to my house and check it out some more.

jeff

29. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Just a great video! Thanks for sharing this with us, it is sad that Steve is gone but I'm sure he is happy with how you are looking after his coupe. What a family treasure!

30. Yeah, T-man scored the valve covers for the engine and I found a nice set of original 32 pedals at the Fremont swap meet. Steve sent me some cash, a R.D. hat
    Wish I'd known and a really cool denim short sleeve shirt with the R.D. logo embroidered on the front. Still have the shirt and hat. Did you use the pedals or keep the hanging pedals?
    Steve and I had a blast at Paso John's Christmas party one year. He gave me a ton of R.D.s to help me with my collection.........the only magazine I collect. I miss Steve. One of the real, down to earth people of the rodding world
    Wish I'd known you were going to DesMoines Goodguys.........I'd have gone....