Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Who When was the first SBChev powered HotRod?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Aussie Chev, Jun 18, 2016.

1. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

he says at 1.36 this hot rod....
    A N Y body can say HOTROD

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

They thought 10 MPG was not sexy when gas cost the equivalent of $10 a gallon and you weren't sure if you could get any that a high compression engine would run on.

It's surprising how fast driving a muscle car to work every day loses its charm when it takes half your pay check to fill the tank.

3. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

5.07 John Force says
    This ol HOTROD

4. roundvalley

roundvalley

Not sure what the HAMB detectives are seeing. The roadster was built in 55/'56. Graduated '56 and then to college and US Army. Returned home, drug the roadster out of my parents garage 1960 and took a picture with my girl. Bonniville belonged to my dad who bought it new in '58. ????

C. John Stutzer and volvobrynk like this.
  5. S.F.

S.F.

56 Dodge

C. John Stutzer and volvobrynk like this.
  6. John owns a flopper, he can call it what he wants and I am pretty sure he has never run an SBC in it. Actually for the sake of argument there is a two jump chasm that separates a Hot Rod for our intents and purposes and even the very first flopper.

Most of us miss a simple truth, a hot rod gets driven. It is not built from a template and then you use different decals to make it into whatever car it is supposed to represent and it does not only go 1320 feet between overhauls.

Can John call it a hot rod, why not its his car. Hell he could call it Prince Harry if he wanted to.

7. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

8. Page Ten coming up and no closer to answering the question ! ( The original one) JW

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Who's on first?

10. Can he call it "Prince Albert In A Can"?
    (ducks for cover)

falcongeorge likes this.
  11. There is no real way to say who was the first but I think we established the when right off. I think that the who is going to be pretty hard to establish as I doubt that anyone was keeping score.

I can help you eliminate a couple of people though. I wasn't the first because I wasn't yet old enough and my Ol' Man didn't do it because he never liked Chevys. So there are two right there that you can check off your list. :D

12. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

Beano you are priceless, as always you don't have a clue but you will reply.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. What's his name. ;)

14. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

15. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

Beano, What's on second.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. I dunno, no that's 3rd. :D

17. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

No idea what Hot Rod it was put into but it came out of a Corvette for certain

18. They all did. :D

19. The Chevrolet Small-Block Bible
    edelbrock 3 265 motors.jpg

It's probably been documented/covered better elsewhere, but the obvious is that Chevy had sent pre-production motors out to the speed boys, looking to give that V8 a boost right from the get go.

Which means that even before us guys on the street could buy one, there would have been one or two deuces or buckets with Chebby mo-jo pushing them down the road.

Aussie Chev and volvobrynk like this.
  20. roughneck424

roughneck424

If it helps with the dates. Gary Guinn just had his 80th Birthday Party

falcongeorge likes this.
  21. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I think we have established that Chev V8s were being put in hot rods as soon as they were available, in late 1954.

falcongeorge likes this.
  22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

It was actually answered in the first two pages. Then the usual HAMB self justifying "my car is a traditional hot rod too" bullshit started, and anyone who gives a shit about history threw up their hands in disgust...

26 T Ford RPU and volvobrynk like this.
  23. slammed

slammed

^^^Ah, right. Someone that sit high on a horse (1965-up) is dictating what is & what is not 'HAMB'.

24. It's funny reading all this. You can hot rod anything, but not everything can be a hot rod. Glad I have the HAMB to tell me these things. :)
    I got the engine in my 55 "the old way" through a friend that worked at a Chevy dealer. 10k on it when it popped a freeze plug. GM replaced the entire engine, and I got this Vortec 350 for $150 complete. Upgraded the guts and put some fancy aluminum heads on it, and tell gawkers at the cruise nights it's a 327. Nobody ever questions it. So I guess I got a hot-rodded street rod street machine 55 shitbox. Anybody got a label maker? I need to put that on it somewhere so I don't forget!!

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  25. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Do you REALLY want to call it a 'hot rod'? Call Kaitlin a 'woman'?
    It is or it isn't. It isn't.

26. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I guess some of us will just have to be happy to be a minority here, but in my eyes; if a 55 Chiverlay with a MOTOR in it is not a hot rod then WTF is.

Hey George
    If you put a bunch of drawer KNOBS:eek: in the grille; is it a custom?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    gas & guns and falcongeorge like this.
  27. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Loved this thread at one point.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1468758204.698851.jpg

kidcampbell71 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  28. Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  29. GregCT.

GregCT.
    from CT.

I owned a 36 Ford 5 window coupe that was converted in 1955 by Roy Hagedorn of Manchester, CT. The donor was a wrecked police car, 1955 powerpac V8 chevrolet 265 engine. Google him, pretty clever fellow. So he hand built all the mounts and brackets from a Mechanics Illustrated article of the same time. I sold it to another HAMB member. Roy also hopped up a 36 Phaeton with a Cadillac engine, it now belongs to Dennis Carpenter.