Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Dadgum Rant......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, Jun 26, 2016.

1. slack

slack

Not to mention, it's like a tattoo. You better like what you put on there, cuz it's permanent. You can close the account but the data stays forevermore.:cool:

The37Kid likes this.
  2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

What is this FB and Twitty you guys speak of? Lippy

3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

117harv and 3wLarry like this.
  4. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

oh for cryin outloud...
    I are what I are...ain't gonna change now to suit politically correct cry babies that need to grow a thicker skin...sorry
    ...and I wasn't referring to you, unless you were the one offended :p;)[/QUOTE]
    I'm with you, 3w.

slack, need louvers ? and 3wLarry like this.
  5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that a squeek? Sounds more like a broken connecting rod...;)

SR100 and 3wLarry like this.
  7. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thanks for the photos Chip, and for the info regarding the 12 port a roadster.

need louvers ? and 3wLarry like this.
  8. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

akoutlaw, make sure your roadster's a/c is charged.

3wLarry likes this.
  9. Yes sir. HRP

3wLarry and volvobrynk like this.
  10. S.F.

S.F.

Its all on Instagram now man....Social media has surpassed the HAMB, by alot...unfortunately (WAY less drama on instagram though)

3wLarry likes this.
  11. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd have to buy a cell phone, right? Bob

3wLarry likes this.
  12. S.F.

S.F.

NO! don't do it! ...I mean, yeah...you'd need one...technically

kiwijeff, The37Kid and 3wLarry like this.
  13. BAM!!!! there it is. Just glad I did my posting while I was there so I am not on Larry's list.

lothiandon1940 and 3wLarry like this.
  14. slammed

slammed

That is true w/ every stroke of the key. The NSA was active way before they admit to. Now back to the LARS & pix please.

15. it is more like you take your car to a ford dealer and they send you to the mall.

3wLarry likes this.
  16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Well, yes and no. The cab, with the exception of a couple of bolt holes and trim details is the exact same thing. The chassis, however, isn't. The later chassis doesn't narrow like a '37-'40 frame, and has parallel leafs up front, so a '40-'41 clip really doesn't fit. You can plop the cab on the earlier chassis, though.

The Roadster show itself is filled with O/T stuff for around here, a veritable sea of billet and big wheels with easter egg paint . The cool stuff is always in the swap/preferred parking area.

Hamtown Al and 3wLarry like this.
  17. The37Kid

The37Kid

I grew up following the LARS in magazine coverage, and the early years coverage here on the HAMB. If you study all the photos you get the idea that you can walk from one side of the swap meet to the other on '32 Ford parts, flathead and 4Banger speed equipment, and ARDUN heads. That may have been possible in the early years but 2014 & 2015 really wasn't that way. I had a great time and will be back again,. but it just wasn't what I thought it would be. Bob

3wLarry and Moriarity like this.
  18. The "show ponies" remark implies all roadsters parked inside are not real hot rods. My RPU was parked inside all weekend, after driving 2 hours up I 15 from Oceanside in 100+ heat, then driving home Sunday afternoon in 100+ heat. A hot rod can't be show worthy and driven too?

kiwijeff, Hamtown Al, 3wLarry and 5 others like this.
  19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
    Our resident comedian's call for show pics has morphed into an on-point, interesting discussion of the fast-moving evolution of social media. IG, FB, just more tools in the social toolbox, learn to use them or not, just like an English wheel or shrinker/stretcher.
    Impressive display of HAMB street cred here, Larry. Well played!

kiwijeff, 3wLarry and Tman like this.
  20. contspanko

contspanko

21. contspanko

contspanko

Corazzelli Photography he 's got it down

3wLarry likes this.
  22. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Obviously, any Hamb quality vehicles that were inside the gates get an automatic pass, Dean...your RPU goes without saying......so lighten up on me, or I'll sic the Guido Bros on yer ass. :D

Hendee, Dean Lowe, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  23. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I din'do nuttin...

but I would like to see MORE PICS DADGUMMIT!

Hendee, Paul, Hamtown Al and 4 others like this.
  24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Awe Dean, YOU are the last person I wanted to insult with that remark!!! I saw your RPU out there, but not you, otherwise I would have stopped.

Yes, there are many, many on point show able, drive able, real hot rods in the actual show itself. But you have to admit that they are overrun and over shadowed by heards of red Brookville '32s with 18s and 20s, and independent front ends, yo.

When you are on a very limited time schedule as I was this year, you hit the swap first. I always hit the preferred parking next, 'cause, well, I dig primer, personally. I hit the main show after so I can pick through and see what I like, then the dealer displays last because I really don't buy much. So I guess it is more a question of priorities....

All of my shots were taken in a seven hour marathon walk that was my roadster show this year, so I missed a lot of the details that I might have caught other years too, like stopping to say hi to you, sir.

3wLarry and lothiandon1940 like this.
  25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The changes made in the swap meet and preferred parking about five years ago have changed the "intimacy" of the swap greatly. It's been enlarged and spread out quite a bit over what it was before, so it feels much bigger. This year was the first in many though that the "weird stuff" seemed to crawl out of the wood work again. there was no shortage of 4 banger over head conversions and flat head stuff. The twin mag set up I photographed was one of the very first things I saw after getting past the swap gates. The return of the HOP UP Traditional car corral was an absolute godsend in my opinion, as that had always been something I looked forward to each year.

I don't know if you could have walked across it on nothing but '32 parts this year, but maybe pretty close. This is still a healthy swap!

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

This year was murder for me...I caught a 'summer cold' a week before my son Rich came to get me for the ride south, (450 miles) and my ears plugged about 20% up the grapevine.
    Terminal plugged, (I was a swimmer, and NEVER experienced such a serious case!) My son's voice sounded like a light buzz, then other son Tory showed up. Couldn't hear him either!

Ran into some old friends, (they had to speak up!) LOL
    Swap meet was spread out, as was mentioned. Prices were there with the space shuttle, really wanted a '32 project we saw, but $$$$$....
    Three years ago, I picked up a mint pair of '32 spindles (with king pins and wheel bearings!)
    Fifteen dollars. This year a '37 tube axle (rusty, pitted) was up for $900. Glad I have some left.
    There was a '33 Plymouth wiggly tube for $35, would have jumped on it if I wasn't so sick.

need louvers ? and 3wLarry like this.
  27. Without wading into all the bullshit back and forth on whether I'm too lazy to post my pictures on here or not, as a "young fucker" (28) who extensively uses Instagram, I'll point out one thing that I'm sure a lot of our 'senior' posters overlook/don't realize/forget about:

The quality of picture that my cell phone takes, surpassed the quality of picture that my digital camera takes, about 6 years ago. Since then, my camera sits in my bedroom in a drawer, uncharged and unused. But my cell phone is ALWAYS in my pocket and ready to capture a picture.

I used to take my camera to car shows. I'd take pictures all day, and then upload them onto my computer when I got home. Since I was already sitting at the computer doing the task, it was easy to create a thread and upload a bunch to the H.A.M.B. at the same time. I'm sure this was similar for a lot of other guys too.
    Now, when I see a hotrod/go to a car show/whatever, I always have my cell phone with me. I can take a photo and upload it to Instagram for everyone to see in about 30 seconds. For my friends and followers, it's live coverage. It's not nearly as simple or quick to take a picture on my phone, and upload it to the H.A.M.B. And honestly, between being self employed, renovating my house, having a girlfriend, two cats, a social life, and trying to work on my hotrod, I don't have any spare time to sit down at my computer and upload coverage to the H.A.M.B. as well.

I love the H.A.M.B., I'm on here every day. But event coverage is not my forte. That being said, in order to support the H.A.M.B., I will make more of an effort to provide event coverage from the things I'm at.

In turn, @3wLarry, stop ranting about being an old dog, and learn a new trick. Here, I'll help you:
    Step 1: Go to Instagram: https://www.instagram.com
    Step 2: Sign up using your name, email address, a user name and password.
    Step 3: Click on the search bar at the top of the screen to start searching for events. Some suggested search topics: '#hamb' '#trog' '#theraceofgentlemen'
    Step 4: When you find a poster that has something you like, you can click the 'Follow' button next to their name to see all the pictures they post.
    Step 5: Enjoy the coverage.

volvobrynk, 3wLarry and Old-Soul like this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

RUH ROH!

29. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Don't forget #hopuplive

Speedy Canuck and 3wLarry like this.
  30. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Very good point Speedy. I really never thought of it that way. I must admit your absolutely right on.
    Time and speed is the key to surviving.
    Us baby boomers see a lot of the negative aspects of social media. You're point proves otherwise in your use of time.

kiwijeff and 3wLarry like this.