Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need your help again 1931 chev 1 ton carb mystery

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cadillacjerk, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Cadillacjerk

Cadillacjerk

The picture in my avatar is a 1931 Chev 1 ton with a 1936? 207ci, the boss and I are trying to identify the carburetor. We believe it is a Zenith but have no way of knowing, we are in desperate need of a float for it . I know the good people on this site really know their stuff and we appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks IMG_0623.JPG IMG_0622.jpg

2. try The Carburetor Shop LLC

and The Carburetor Doctor

3. squirrel

squirrel

Looks like a Tillotson which was made for a Model A ford...?????

4. Cadillacjerk

Cadillacjerk

we did that ...still can't figure it out

5. carbking

carbking

We have not received a call on this; but it is a Rayfield aftermarket carb.

Sold originally through mail order houses such as Whitney, Warshawski, etc., to those customers too frugal to purchase a rebuilding kit for their original carb. Basically sold as a use-it-if-it-works-until-it-stops-working. To my knowledge, no parts have ever been available.

Jon.

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. Cadillacjerk

Cadillacjerk

Excellent! ...we did email the carburetor shop (carbqueen @...) and searched online for a few hours is what I meant...no we didn't call sorry for any confusion...thanks for the info

7. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Okay, you have now three options for your forward journey, and one might lead to another.

1.. Blow it apart, and take nice pics and a lot of measurements of it, and post both on here. There might be something for it from something else.
    Known as Hot Rod thinking applied.

2. Take the valve apart, try lap it (like a valve in a cylinder head), with fine paste. And test fit and see if it runs.

If yes, go slowly to next step, after a good healthy test ride, repeat till something changes .
    If no, go straight to third and last step.

3. Start looking for a different carb, offer engine info, flange size, engine type, CFM or maybe a wish for manifold and or carb.
    This side isn't just nationwide, and the info on here is second to non!

And this might be free advice, but I wouldn't mind seeing more pics of that wonderful truck. It's beautiful!

Best of luck, and remember any featback might help the next guy, and it does wonders for you rep or "street cred", or how the lingo goes.

8. Cadillacjerk

Cadillacjerk

As requested....

IMG_0624.JPG

Attached Files:

9. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

That is a great truck! Perfect for a daily driver.

As a practical matter, do you have the float? They can be repaired. May have to swear off coffee for a day or two but it is possible with a steady hand, iron, and some solder.

10. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Thar a nice truck!
    What's the plan? Do you drive it a lot?

What are the lamps doing hanging on the cowl? Are you on the way out to some midnight eel fishing?

Still stock? Plan to hot rod it? Or just fix and drive?

11. Post up a photo of the dead float- someone might recognise a similar replacement.
    You may get something close, and with a bit of soldering, patience and bending , may get a result.
    Nice truck, too!

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. Cadillacjerk

Cadillacjerk

To answer your questions: it is finished (other than a still he wants for the back)...what you see is what you get...it's not a daily driver BUT it does make the rounds in parades etc...the lamps on the side are for prospecting I guess ...he never really said....but here's some more info I found on the carb in question....I googled Rayfield carbs with that patent number on the fuel bowl and found this: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/122378.html?1264222652 ....although Rayfield is a good guess "Earl A. Besson assigned the patent to the Wheeler-Schebler Carburetor Company."....we did find 2 up here that somebody s willing to donate to the cause.....I'll keep you posted